Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to replacing the broken oil sensor on my 84 VT700. What a complete PIA!!!! Question: Now when I turn the key on my oil light comes on and stays on until the bike is cranked up and running. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
yes, the oil light will stay on when the bike is not running. This is normal. I wondered the same thing when i saw mine come on when i shut it off and it light up.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much. I sure hope I never have to replace that sensor again but it sure is nice knowing that all is working as designed.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If your bike is not running, the oil pump is not pumping, therefore no oil pressure, as a result the oil light comes on as it is supposed to. Turn the key on your cage and watch the oil light. It will stay on 'till you start the engine.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The only light that will NOT illuminate with the ignition on in the normal condition is the coolant light.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
My temp light and oil light both come on when I turn the key on. The temp light goes out after a second or so and the oil light stays on until the engine is cranked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts