Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Honda doesn't make oil. They just put their name on it.

i use Castrol Actevo. Seems like the old VTX likes it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reading Crazy Dave's "Wow" link led me to the "Oilology" 26 page thread, which laid out all of the options for me. Geez..

But, with my motor around 38.5K I'm not going with synthetic, although I probably could. Castrol GTX is looking good to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Im running amsoil in mine currently. Anyone have any pros or cons on amsoil?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Rotella T6 here, too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
By the way, switching to synthetic won't hurt your motor with only 38,000 mi. It's barely broken in. Make sure you change the filter also.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Just put T6 in my Yami. Quieted down quite a bit

·
Registered
123 Posts
Castrol is a decent oil, I used it long ago. I switched my first 'Wing in '96 to Mobil 1 15/50. Fuel mileage increased by .8 MPG, not much, but the transmission shifted so much easier. It just felt like a really slick oil. So, I've stuck with it since, in everything from the g'son's Elite 80cc scooter, Spirit 1100 & Valkyrie. It's an easy to find oil so if I'm away from my home dealer, no problem.

I've not used other diesel oil synthetics,(Rotella T6) but believe they would likely be as good as Mobil 1. I don't use exotics... Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc. If I can't buy it in WalMart, K-Mart, or the local corner parts dealer, it's too rare for me.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I've run the dino rotella since 1000 miles on the odo, I'm less than 200 miles from hitting 65,000 miles. This to me speaks for itself.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I run the Amsoil 10-40. It's pricey at $10 or so a qt but 3.5 qts lasts me a full year. I didn't get that much riding in just 5000mi last season. So for $35 plus the filter, I'm okay with that. I've used T6 lots as well but found it sheared down rather quickly. The Rotella 15-40 is probably your best bet with respect to price, lubability and easy to buy at Walmart.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts