Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ladies and gentlemen, I NEED YOUR HELP! I have no idea what happened but let me explain, be patient with me as I want to make sure I have all the details.

2008 Honda Shadow Aero 750...my baby Pearl

I should start with the date I completed my first oil change on the bike, July 23rd, new filter and almost 3 jugs of 10W 30....bike was running great all was good.

Saturday, August 6th- I go on a poker run and at one of the stop I noticed my bike was running weird, my buddy checked my oil and there was NOTHING showing on my dip stick...so we went into the store and got a jug of oil for it and filled it up...they gave me 10W40...filled the tank oil was showing we were good to go.

Tuesday, August 9th- I decide to go for a ride and start my bike, I go to check my oil since I had issues with it before and when I went to loosen the cap it blew up...like there was a ton of pressure in the oil tank...it bent my dip stick and broke off the end of the reader (which is now in my oil tank) the bike immediately shuts off and i have to pry this dip stick out to find it bent and broken...I go to princess auto and get a magnet stick to try and fish out the piece of the dip stick, no success. I need to order a new dip stick and also figure out:

1. WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?! WHAT HAVE I DONE?!
2. HOW DO I GET THIS PIECE OUT IF THE MAGNET DOESNT WORK?
3. HAVE I KILLED MY PRIDE AND JOY?

Any insight, help, knowledge about this would be such a help! I live in Newmarket, Ontario...if anyone knows a reputable bike shop to take it to please let me know.
I have attached photos of my bike and the remains of my dip stick...
I'm at a loss and so worried that I have ruined my bike and have no idea how I did it...HELP! :(
Shoe Automotive tire Black Blue Helmet
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,230 Posts
Howdy cassondrabouc89!

OUCH!

So...was the bike running when you checked the oil? If so, that's a big no no! Bike should be off when you do that...check your owner's manual for the proper way to check the oil.

Your bike is definitely not dead. You may have over filled when out on the poker run. (Also, was that 10W-40 oil motorcycle oil?). Mixing 10W-30 and 10W-40 won't hurt anything. The big question is why was the oil low right after an oil change. I suspect the oil level was fine and that you may have not checked the level properly. Also, your oil light would have come on if you where significantly low on oil.

Getting the end of the dip stick out may be a challenge. Assuming the dip stick is steel, you could buy an oil drain bolt that has a magnet on it to try and capture the little dip stick pieces. For sure drain what's in the bike now and replace the filter. It's likely that all that's in the bike are small shards of the dip stick that may be captured by the filter and a drain bolt magnet. Or they may just sit on the bottom of the crank case and not bother anything. I don't think the dip stick pieces will float around and clog any oil passages or anything like that.

Golly...good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy cassondrabouc89!

OUCH!

So...was the bike running when you checked the oil? If so, that's a big no no! Bike should be off when you do that...check your owner's manual for the proper way to check the oil.

Your bike is definitely not dead. You may have over filled when out on the poker run. (Also, was that 10W-40 oil motorcycle oil?). Mixing 10W-30 and 10W-40 won't hurt anything. The big question is why was the oil low right after an oil change. I suspect the oil level was fine and that you may have not checked the level properly. Also, your oil light would have come on if you where significantly low on oil.

Getting the end of the dip stick out may be a challenge. Assuming the dip stick is steel, you could buy an oil drain bolt that has a magnet on it to try and capture the little dip stick pieces. For sure drain what's in the bike now and replace the filter. It's likely that all that's in the bike are small shards of the dip stick that may be captured by the filter and a drain bolt magnet. Or they may just sit on the bottom of the crank case and not bother anything. I don't think the dip stick pieces will float around and clog any oil passages or anything like that.

Golly...good luck!

Hey!

Yes it was motorcycle oil...and nothing was showing on the dip stick when I checked it...so I am NOT to check my oil when the bike is running? I will look into the drain bolt magnet! Thank you for this! I feel better already :)

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
We should have a thread of WHAT NOT TO EVER DO wih your bike.

# 1 - NEVER HAVE THE ENGINE RUNNING WHEN CHECKING OIL!!!

You are not the first or last to do it but it is not even helpful to try to see how much oil in in there with gears splashing it all over.

You can get away with it in a car but that's all.
Really sorry you had that happen but now you have some work to do. Your bike is not ruined but needs help.
Maybe gear teeth are damaged.
Need to take off the right side engine cover for inspection.
And check the crankcase vent system for restriction, since you were having a lot of pressure in there that should not be.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
There have been cases where people have broken stuff inside doing that and had to remove the right crankcase cover for repairs. Could have hit the oil pump drive chain and damaged it or other gears and stuff. Take your chances,,, Or Inspection camera that plugs into your phone? Or pull the cover and check.

For whatever reason this always seems to be an Aero. I don't remember any being the 750 Ace or Spirit or the 1100s... Did I just miss them?

something like this? a bunch of different ones out there, the smallest tip would be advisable.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,091 Posts
Suggest you read through this thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suggest you read through this thread.

Yep this is is and what happened....ugh looks like I have some work to do tonight....thank you for for showing me the thread...also good to know im not alone...lesson learned...DO NOT CHECK MY OIL WHEN BIKE IS RUNNING :p

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
Hope it comes out okay. That ‘pressure’ could have been the huge, rapidly-spinning spoked teeth right there grabbing that dipstick… Or if there is too much pressure, it may have flooded oil up into your air filter and caused the ‘running funny’. Check your air filter.

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
472 Posts
Just as a point of reference, this is the case for any engine that I know of. You always run the engine for a few minutes, then turn it off, pull the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert and pull again to check your oil. You'll never get an accurate reading with the engine running even if it doesn't cause damage.

The only thing unusual about the Honda way is the weird little twist of not putting the dipstick all the way in to check the level.

·
Registered
11,263 Posts
Almost three jugs and another jug. What does that mean exactly? Do you know how much oil you put in, in ounces? Do you know the oil capacity of the bike? Does your owner's manual detail how to check the oil? (bike on side stand / bike straight up?)

Overfilling is bad. Checking the oil with the engine running is bad. My guess is you did both.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I might also add to make sure that both the oil filler cap and dipstick are screwed in before firing up the engine. Forgot once and had oil all over one side of the garage before I could hit the kill switch. As stated above the case becomes pressurized due to the pistons movement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts