Honda Shadow Forums banner

OK boys, here's my route

4K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  Canyon 
#1 ·

Completely spaced it I have all kinds of Family in is Central FL. The plan is to ride over and park it for the winter. I take my family to Disney every March but this year I'll be riding home instead of flying. This trip WILL happen in the next few weeks. I could take a day, I could take 4. I have ZERO ISSUE with a 100 or 200 mile detour. Anyone want to meet up and show me your neck of the woods?

First leg has to be to Shreveport LA to visit the wife's hometown. She may or may not be with me. If she is, after a short visit I'm off to New Orleans to drop her off or just pass thru...Katrina and all.... I know it's been a while but I wanna take a peak seeing how I'm right there.

This way I get to know the bike on my own terms and the feel of "need to get it done now" is off the shoulders. Dates for this are up in the air but date for returning to NH from Disney is 3/27/12.

NOW I get to ride my way. :mrgreen:
Looking forward to a new sig pic too. You guys will let me stay won't you?

See less See more
#5 ·
Hmmm.... San Antonio is only about 3 hours away from me. There's a lot of great things to see and do there.

A Hill Country Ride would be a great way to get acquainted with that new scoot.

And if you happen to have any issues with seat comfort, I know a guy in SA that can hook you up with a custom job for very little scratch. He does fantastic work.

#6 ·
glad you finally made your (final?) decision. But are you sure you want to leave your new baby in FL over the winter. I know you wouldn't be able to ride it much back home but at least you could go out into the garage and look at it, touch it and sit on it. If it's in FL you're just going to dream about it and this will be the longest winter of your life. just my $.02

#8 ·
Here's how I would get from San Antonio to Shreveport. Much more scenic and keeps you off of I 35 more. You do not want to be on the slab between San Marcos and Waco. Between Round Rock and Waco are multiple areas of congestion and construction, and unlike other metro areas, people in South Central Texas do NOT know how to drive in traffic, or out of it for that matter. I have seen multiple accidents on my trips to Waco over the last couple of years. Always a high speed rearender in areas of congestion.

San Antonio, TX to Shreveport, LA - Google Maps

#11 ·
Unless you are trying to make good time I would stay off the interstate as much as possible. There is a lot to see along the Gulf coast. You will want to take I-10 through Mobile unless you are stopping there. Try not to go through Mobile between 4 and 6 in the afternoon during the work week,the tunnel can get backed up. I live near Pensacola, PM me with a phone number if you would like to discuss some routes through the area. Going to Orlando from Pensacola I would hug the coast if you have time instead of doing the interstate.

#20 ·
Hey Canyon:
Texasshadow49's proposed route via Texas Highway 21 through College Station is a very good route. Lot of nice country through there. You should strongly consider it.
Actually I think I save 3 Sisters for a next visit. I'm trusting TXShadow49 will take me somewhere nice, butter me up, get me thinking I should put out, I won't, then he takes me out a little farther and wacks me. hahahaha j/k

Seriously, I have no doubt that he will take me on some nice roads out of town in the general direction I need to head. The route I posted was a general idea. Starting point will be obviously where the bike is and I pick it up. From there any route TX pix to get me to Shreveport. From there I just need to get to Ocala, I think I'd like to go thru New Orleans.

I'm up for planned routes posted on Google or just riding with someone int he area to the next "check point" It'll be fun!

#21 ·
Are you going to Layafette then to Red Stick (Baton Rouge) to New Orleans on I-10? It's hard to tell from your map but if so I would go through Lafayette to Houma to New Orleans.

Like so:

It only adds a half hour to the trip but you avoid most of the big-rigs traversing that corridor, which is one of the busiest in the nation.

My offer still stands for a crash pad, so PM me and I'll shoot you my address and contact information.

Tim

#22 · (Edited)
Actually his route shows him Getting off I-49 onto Hwy 190 towards baton rouge, avoiding Lafayette completely. Smart move. 190 has less traffic, plus for 20 miles between laffy and Red Stick you'd be on the basin bridge. Which the speed limit drops.
I came back from the whole Natchez Trace run a couple of weeks ago, and we took River road back from Natchez,MS. If you could venture east from Alexandria towards hwy 15 and river road you'd get no traffic, and some cool turns. It's nothing demanding or super scenic, but coming back from our trip on those roads was a lot better than just hopping on interstates and booking it at over 75mph.

One warning tho, the roads in Louisiana are horrible. You can literally cross a state line and tell the difference.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#23 ·
I used to to to Alex when the oil rig caught fire by the basin bridge (Ramah?). I took a couple of scenic routes bypassing the bridge north to get back to NO and I don't remember which roads I took because the traffic was horrendous. Damn, that was a miserable time...

The roads are getting better to and from Mississippi but that's probably because of the new twin-span.

#24 ·
If you cross into or out of La. on an interstate, you will notice the road difference in about 25 feet. Louisiana is very fond of expansion joints in the concrete. Badump-badump-badump for hours on end. Another thing you have to be con muy cuidado about is the grooved pavement. It can give your bike the wobbles bad and louisiana has a ton of it. If you get a chance to get down to I-10 and cross the Atchafalay river basin and on over to I believe its called 12 mile bridge, its neat country. If you haven't made it down this way much and may not have a chance to do it again, I would take the time to go from N.O. and cross the Huey P Long bridge and the Crescent City Bridge and then leave town across the Pontchartrain. Just because they are neat bridges. Pontchartrain is boring, but still being on a low flat bridge for 24 miles across a lake is something to tell about back home.

#26 ·
I'm in Port Saint Lucie Fl you could leave your bike here. I'd be glad to ride it occasionally, you know just to keep the fluids flowing. Be safe and take plenty of pix.
No problem. Let me takes yours home and I'll be right back with it.:mrgreen:

#29 ·
You could always take a Dragon's tail detour on the way home with me...Like the last weekend in March! We will be staying at the Two Wheel's Inn, Just saying, if not, maybe you will be heading my way the weekend before, short stay over long enough for me to steal some parts:p
Coop

#30 ·
So you admit your are envious. hehe...
I might be sleeping with this baby under my pillow till I get her home. ;-)

So many route decisions.... can you believe I'm now actually thinking "HHHhhmmmm, if I rode ONLY between rush hours...how far can I make it each day to get her to my garage for the winter?"

Problem is to get it home and ride it here I have to leave sooner than later. ALMOST convinced the wife this morning as she was on her way out the door to agree to an airline ticket today. Her only remorse..."Then you'll be going to Texas alone". Damn her!

#33 ·
Not skeered at all. Not often I get to take the wife to her hometown...

Time frame for the trip is looking to be just before or just after Turkey day. Yuk, but so far that's my option.

#36 ·
1st off Canyon when you have your bike in hand, you ain't up north. You will have daylight from about 6:30 to 5. 2d you will have mostly good weather until you get to Tennessee or the Carolinas. I think if you hit it hard, you could use your garmin and your smartphone to drive around most weather systems. As a last resort, if it gets too bad, you rent the truck, van or trailer, carry it home straight through and use your hotel money to pay for the rental. So is the wife gonna make it after all? Get me some itinerary info and I'll try to pick you up at the airport and set up some ride time.

#37 ·
No wife. I've been trying to get her to come just to Shreveport at least and then I'd drop her off at the next airport. She doesn't want to be away from the kids that long. Her loss. :)

You're seriously going to pick me up? I'm not riding B*tch.....
I'll PM you details. Thanks man.

#38 ·
Sure I'll pick you up. You can borrow the wife's helmet.

Nah. I'll get you in the pathfinder as long as I'm not swamped that day.

#39 ·
Pretty....
But I'll be packin

OK the deal is I'm riding it home in December as CRAZY as that may seem. I'm going to post a new potential route and welcome any detour routes - within reason given the time of year.

Bottom line is I can't spend a few days on this thing and then pack it away somewhere I can't see it. Already tried talking the storage place into letting me install one of my Internet Cams in the unit but they didn't like that thought. (I was serious too)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.