Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it finally happened, I did something really stupid. After I got back from a short ride yesterday, I didn't put the key on the rack by my door. Now I have lost my only key to the bike. I have turned the house upside down trying to find it with no luck.

I am going to try and remove the lock cylinder from the bike and take it to a locksmith, with any luck they can cut me a new key, if not I will have to try and find a replacement ignition for the bike.

Will any type of lock cylinder work on an 83 vt500 or do I have to try to find on specific for the bike?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Honda doesn't have too many key combinations. If you know a bunch of Honda owners you could just try their keys.
I had 4 bikes and three used the same key. No kidding.

Otherwise, it's probably going to be easier to remove your steering lock than your ignition. I don't know for sure if the steering lock uses all of the tumblers though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to run by a Honda dealer this week and speak with them about the key and see what they have to say. I have scoured ebay looking for a key switch with no luck. Old bike, kinda hard to find certain parts. THe steering lock is part of the igniton key switch on my bike.

Now you have me thinking, the same key that starts the bike also works the helmet lock. I think I will pull that off instead to take to a locksmith, lot easier than the igniton switch.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the wife, its not easy for me to be nice...lol.

I have to be at the dentist thursday morning and they are just a couple blocks from a Honda dealer, so I will stop in with the helmet lock. Now to see what it takes to get that off the bike.

Think I'll have a couple keys made and leave the spares in the safe.

·
Registered
586 Posts
the Steering lock is in the ignition. i am prety sure the ignition is the only lock that uses all the tumblers. if you look up key blanks i found a place that i got like 5 blanks cheep. I still have 2 i havent used. if you want i can get you the link tonight when i get on the other computer. I can look to see if there is a key code on the lock or not I have one of my bikes mostly dissasembled. if so a locksmith can easily make you a key. the dealer may be able to use Vin# or lock code from any lock to get you a key.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Let me know if you need one. When I picked up my bike it had no ignition so I went to a bone yard and picked one up for $50. Ended up being mismarked and they wouldn't take it back. It's sitting on a shelf with the key zip wired to it.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I can look to see if there is a key code on the lock or not I have one of my bikes mostly dissasembled. if so a locksmith can easily make you a key. the dealer may be able to use Vin# or lock code from any lock to get you a key.
I work at a honda car dealer, we use the vin# to cut keys.
But not all honda powersport dealers offer this around here. and I'm not sure why, so hopefully you can just fine 1 that does and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I work at a honda car dealer, we use the vin# to cut keys.
But not all honda powersport dealers offer this around here. and I'm not sure why, so hopefully you can just fine 1 that does and you'll be good to go.
Get him to PM you the VIN and mail one to him brother!! :shock:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm gonna call the dealer in the morning and see what they say. Got to get the right key so I can access the fuel tank. THis is driving me nuts, not sure how I lost the key.....Like I said...I'm an IDIOT

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seriously, everyone is right. Get the number off the lock be it the ignition, helment lock, or tank gas cap. They can cut a key from that number. I did the same thing. Cost me less than $20. Any good locksmith shop can cut the key. Just supply the number. I needed a magnifying glass to read it as it is small print.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
When you get the new----key----;) get at least THREE OF THEM! Inscribe the CODE NUMBER on at least one key and lock it up at HOME! Hide one key on the bike where you can get at it which is easy to do (Not in a locked saddlebag nor the locked side case),:shock: and that way you will never be stranded anywhere on your bike or have the loss of riding time again.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
After being through this scenario but finding the key, I went and had two keys made (out of flatstock) that's what the locksmith called it, one for the ignition and one for my saddlebags, these I carry in my wallet, it's the pits to loose your key when 100 miles from home on a Sunday....big bucks if you have to call a locksmith...................:shock::shock:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Jones' law states that as soon as you get a key made you will find the one you lost.

Do you have the original owner's manual? If so, check inside both the front and back covers and see if the PO or Original Owner jotted the key number down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not being a smart *** or anything but when my son can't find his key I tell him to go look in the ignition switch. He uses the kill switch to stop the bike and forgets to take the key out. I also found out that the key to my 98 AERO will work in his Sportster but his key will not work in my bike. I have confiscated one of his original keys and put it away with one of my original keys so we will always have an original. I will not let him have that original. Most generally if you go to a Honda shop with the ignition number they can make a knew key but take your registration as they should make you prove that the bike belongs to you

·
Registered
323 Posts
Dont feel dumb just yet. I got to looking for my key at the Galveston Rally last week-end to move my bike at the hotel. Made a trip up to the 3rd floor and went through bags, clothes, jackets and vest but could not find my key. I went back to the parking garage only to find I had left it in the Fork lock! Did a lot of good to lock that fork!
You may try bikebandit.com, I've found a lot of hard to find items there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.