·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been like 20 degrees colder than usual down in
the deep south - today it's 37 outside - first time above 32
in 2 weeks - wondered if it's an ok thing to just take the bike out
of the garage and crank her up for a bit - or is it better just to leave
it sitting in the garage. Tank is pretty much topped off.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I agree with Gat that it is better to ride it once you start it but I think it's even worse to not start it at all. Just make sure you give it time to warm up completely and run the RPMs up for a bit before shutting it down again.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I think it's even worse to not start it at all. Just make sure you give it time to warm up completely and run the RPMs up for a bit before shutting it down again.
The problem with that in colder weather, is condensation inside the engine and exhaust system. You really can't get the whole thing hot enough to effectively burn off the moisture inside. This is especially true of the mufflers. Idling and revving doesn't work well enough.

Park a motorcycle without doing anything to it, and it should be good for at least a month. Park it with fuel stabilizer in the gas and and an occasional battery maintainer on the battery and it should be good for a year.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The problem with that in colder weather, is condensation inside the engine and exhaust system. You really can't get the whole thing hot enough to effectively burn off the moisture inside. This is especially true of the mufflers. Idling and revving doesn't work well enough.

Park a motorcycle without doing anything to it, and it should be good for at least a month. Park it with fuel stabilizer in the gas and and an occasional battery maintainer on the battery and it should be good for a year.
Guess I really didn't consider that ..... living in So Cal and all. If my Shadow had a chambered muffler and a CAT converter like a car I would be less likely to start it w/o riding it but after 5 min of idling my pips are hot enough to cook the skin off my leg to I doubt any moisture is left. ;-)

I start my bikes once a month (or at least try to). Sometimes I buzz them around the block a few times sometimes not. If I wait to start my WR426 more than 2 months it can be a real bitch to start.

Good point.

·
Registered
16,795 Posts
I`m glad I gotta worry about this problem ;)

I rode today, climbed on at 45 degrees, it was 47 when I returned from church...

Then later the wife asked me to bring a forgotten sack of goodies to town, so I straddled the saddle at 50 degrees for that ride, Yeah I took the long way...

When I ride to church, which is 4 miles, I generally ride 15 minutes to warm the oil, if for no other reason...
I`ve read here that the short running of the motor is worse on it, than not cranking it up???
I dunno, and am glad I ain`t gotta worry about that :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts