Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks ago I picked up a fairly thrashed 83 VT750c it had 24k miles, but had been left outside for a while.

the pic here does not due it justice, the paint was more faded into a pink color, there were several other things about the bike that bothered me,
the PO had lowered the bike but never shortened the kickstand, so it was on the verge of toppling over with the slightest touch, he had also removed the stock mufflers and put on 2" galvanized steel fence posts for pipes, ugly and too loud.
I also quickly learned to hate the sissy bar/ high low seat, and the battery wasn't charging correctly,

first I striped the bike down and did a black paint job, then I removed the sissy bar/rear seat, and cut the seat pan down and re-contoured the foam, an upholstery shop re covered it for me for $20, next I found a pair of stock sportster tapered mufflers on craigslist for $40, punched the baffles and put them on there, got new grips, polished everything up, tossed the rusty engine guard tubing, cut and inch out of the kickstand and re- welded it, tossed the stock license plate bracket/ light assembly, and fabed a custom aluminum one, on the aluminum bars at the bottom of the sissy bar I cut the part that extends up off on a bandsaw, welded some aluminum strips accross the top and repainted them metalic silver then I did the three yellow wire mod so it would keep a charge.

thanks to everybody at the site for the ideas, they really helped a lot

still have some more I want to do to it, but at least it's rideable now.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice job Dude ! Looks tons better than where it came from.

Like the new color also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A few weeks ago I picked up a fairly thrashed 83 VT750c it had 24k miles, but had been left outside for a while.

the pic here does not due it justice, the paint was more faded into a pink color, there were several other things about the bike that bothered me,
the PO had lowered the bike but never shortened the kickstand, so it was on the verge of toppling over with the slightest touch, he had also removed the stock mufflers and put on 2" galvanized steel fence posts for pipes, ugly and too loud.
I also quickly learned to hate the sissy bar/ high low seat, and the battery wasn't charging correctly,

first I striped the bike down and did a black paint job, then I removed the sissy bar/rear seat, and cut the seat pan down and re-contoured the foam, an upholstery shop re covered it for me for $20, next I found a pair of stock sportster tapered mufflers, punched the baffles and put them on there, got new grips, polished everything up, tossed the rusty engine guard tubing, cut and inch out of the kickstand and re- welded it, and the stock license plate bracket/ light assembly, on the aluminum bars at the bottom of the sissy bar I cut the part that extends up off on a bandsaw, welded some aluminum strips accross the top and repainted them metalic silver then I did the three yellow wire mod so it would keep a charge.

thanks to everybody at the site for the ideas, they really helped a lot

still have some more I want to do to it, but at least it's ridable now.
what did you pay for the bike?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Dude, that looks sweet. I too picked one up here last week. I like the look of that exhaust much better. Mine's got about 33K on it, oil leak at cylinder head to block gasket. Gonna pull it down this weekend I hope.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Dude, that looks sweet. I too picked one up here last week. I like the look of that exhaust much better. Mine's got about 33K on it, oil leak at cylinder head to block gasket. Gonna pull it down this weekend I hope.
Also, for you and orlenz, take a look at the MAC Exhaust. Had them on my '83 VT750C and loved them. Phil (rpneal44) also has them on his bike so you can get a further opinion from him. I had the tapered duals, as does Phil, but they also offer the Slash Cuts.

Just a little FYI...

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I hear ya, just keep a eye on eBay - set up a search. Picked mine up for $150 including shipping a couple years back.
I didn't get that lucky. I had to pay the $300 for mine, but' I don't think I'll ever put the stock pipes back on the bike!! The MACs look and sound great!!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Looks like a completely different bike! Awesome restoration job. Hope you get a lot of miles out of it. :)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
2" galvanized steel fence posts for pipes:shock::p:roll::shock: LOL do I hear a redneck joke!! lmao

Looks great , makes a big difference without that sissy bar.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts