Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not normally a major thread starter here but this is probably why I am in therapy.

When I "think" I may want a different ride (and I have been all over the map this year looking and studying,arguing, and pondering) I put my bike up at a ridiculously high price plus $300, If I get it. I will sell (minus $300 everyone wants something off) . Thats what happened with my VT1100C and forced my hand into buying a new bike. Sold it for $300 less than I paid for it after three years.

Early this Spring I found a bike I thought I wanted (04 Road King Custom with 4500 miles after a lot of PMs with the late Lakota) and lowered my price significantly. Over $1000 which is a lot on a $5000 bike listed for $5900. No bites and they would not come off $11,500 on the RK, so I re raised my price and kept looking, In the mean time I sold the wifes 06 RAV and bought her a 2012, Sold my Tacoma for $4000 above what CarMax even offered on paper and bought a 10 27K loaded Infiniti EX35 at a a few hundred above Manheim auction price from a private seller 200 miles away with the TAco money, (It's now for sale at what I should have paid for it)

Since I took a leave of absense from the music store back in August I really don't need a newer vehicle I may put 30 miles a week on. But dayam, it IS a nice vehicle indeed. 0-60 in 6 seconds... But I would rather go back to a hobby car and I liked the Chevy HHR. (0-60 in four days)

Anyway I decide to wait until cooler days when I think there will be a better selection of Metric Sport Tourers, Not to be. So I put the bike back up for $6900 which is pretty high and get a call yesterday from someone who is very interested. I told him I was not motivated and will not come down at all (because I don't have my eye on anything in particular) He still wants to see it. So now I may be without a bike most of the Winter unless I want a Harley. They are all over the place. I think I want an FJR. They are rare but need a more judicious look. Harleys are cheap and easy to work on in comparison. Seems every swinging dick around here has a Harley shop or will come to your house with a life and tools. Even I can open the primary and do a lot of fixin.

Oh and the Road King Custom? Its still for sale ...but at $11,500 I am not even close to buying it. Maybe $9500 . Ten year old tires would need replacing IMO despite the deep tread. But my bike is faster, set up for safety and cool weather and I know it in and out.....Why do I even want to sell it at any price?

·
Registered
337 Posts
You're still in this thought process after all these months?? Maybe you're stuck in an infinite loop... try rebooting and see if that fixes it ;) Just giving you a hard time... you've got patience, I'll give you that!

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're still in this thought process after all these months?? Maybe you're stuck in an infinite loop... try rebooting and see if that fixes it ;) Just giving you a hard time... you've got patience, I'll give you that!
You know it Bob...Your bike was my inspiration. Lakota was giving me a hard time and trying hard to sell me on that fat tired Dyna. I don't want a Dyna. I already have a better bike than any Dyna. YEah seems I do have patience but not so much because I make moves long before I want or need to.

I did not need to sell the Tacoma. I just never used it as a truck. Didn't need it. Only traded it key to key to get out of a 10 Honda Accord Coupe I hated and knew the truck would hold value much better after a few years, Ate up my garage, So I went to CarMax to see what actual cash value was. (Dealers were offering $2K less than Carmax. I sold it for $4000 more than Carmax offered, within weeks. Same with the wifes 06 with 87K miles, which was in a $10K wreck two years ago, Dealers wanted to give us $6000. I sold it for $9800 and had four buyers interested within days,

I am glad to see you still have that black beauty and it has held up it's end of the bargain for you. It looks good on you. The one I was looking at and is still available is fire engine red. The color does not seem to fit the bike. I do like the yellow ones though go figure.,

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
A little off the original topic mark, but since Carmax was brought up I'll give you my experience and see if anyone has had anything similar.

I was at Carmax looking at a Miata as a fun little thing to have, and while there had them give me a purchase estimate on my Camry. So the guy comes back and tells me that they can offer a little lower than book because there is evidence of damage and repair to a body panel which they would have to disclose to any buyer. He then took me out to the car and had me run my finger under a fender to feel a "rough spot" in the paint. Well, I had bought this car new from a local dealer with a good reputation and I certainly didn't have any accidents...but, well, sh#t happens and I was willing to give some grudging credence to the Carmax guy's claim.

OK, fast forward a few months and I am at a smog station yakking with the lady at the desk and we got to talking about (surprise!) cars and she mentioned wanting a new one so she took her car to Carmax for an estimate and -- you guessed it -- they told her it had some repaired damage from a previous accident and that would affect the price. But like me, she had owned the car since new and had had no accidents.

So what are the odds? Has anyone else had an experience like this at Carmax?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah, I remember when all this first came up it was right after I got my RK :D Good call passing on the Dyna – if you're really interested in a bagger you've got to stick with your gut on that.

I just got my wife a Tacoma btw – love that thing! It's an '06 w/ only 22k miles on it. Bought it from an old-timer who only got it to drive it in the snow, which it doesn't do very often here. The thing is mint and we got a great deal on it.

Still have not had a single issue w/ my Harley, though I've only put 4500 miles on it since June. But I still smile every time I see it. This spring I think it's ape hanger time. Already have them picked out and found an indy shop to put them on (dealership wants $1600 for the install alone!).

Anyway, best of luck with everything. I can't wait to see what you bring home one of these days.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A little off the original topic mark, but since Carmax was brought up I'll give you my experience and see if anyone has had anything similar.

I was at Carmax looking at a Miata as a fun little thing to have, and while there had them give me a purchase estimate on my Camry. So the guy comes back and tells me that they can offer a little lower than book because there is evidence of damage and repair to a body panel which they would have to disclose to any buyer. He then took me out to the car and had me run my finger under a fender to feel a "rough spot" in the paint. Well, I had bought this car new from a local dealer with a good reputation and I certainly didn't have any accidents...but, well, sh#t happens and I was willing to give some grudging credence to the Carmax guy's claim.

OK, fast forward a few months and I am at a smog station yakking with the lady at the desk and we got to talking about (surprise!) cars and she mentioned wanting a new one so she took her car to Carmax for an estimate and -- you guessed it -- they told her it had some repaired damage from a previous accident and that would affect the price. But like me, she had owned the car since new and had had no accidents.

So what are the odds? Has anyone else had an experience like this at Carmax?
Mike I have been using CarMAx for 20 years to get Actual cash Value becasue they will write a check on the spot and that IMO is what the vehicle is worth at that moment'. They have never tried to "steal" a car (except my HHR) . CarMax prices are between KBB Fair and good if everything is sound. Thats not a great priice for a car and franchise dealers will offer far more until you ask them to write you a check THEN look at what they are selling. So Carmax is the only place that will buy independently without trying to sell or giving you the "pick out a car first routine" and their prices are pretty consistent with fair to good KBB. Now I would never have taken what they offerd for the Tacoma because I know Tacomas are golden and they don't have as many Tacomas as they do Camrys. Camrys are everywhere so although they will command a higher price than a Ford or Chevy they still have the pick of the litter and a whole lot of them to sell. ITs the same reason i will only buy an HHR 2LT LS and 1LTS were rentals and leases. 2LTS were loaded HHRs bought by individuals and far more rare. As were the SS versions.

The only car CarMax offered below low book on was my HHR. I get though, Its a niche car that was discontinued and it was a 2LT.

ITs still the best place to BEGIN when one is shopping for a car at least you will have a REAL offer in your back pocket on paper when you hit the dealers and don't even bring the trade in until the deal is made on the new car. THEN bring in the trade and if they are lower (and its likely they will be a lot lower) force them to pay what Carmax offered or walk. NO dealer ever let me walk and ended up paying the Carmax price on the trade.

Now I just get the CarMax price and look at dealer's "Internet prices" and middle it depending on the vehicle.

All that said I would likely not buy a Car from CarMax. They offer more but sell far higher. I prefer to buy privately especially IF there is still warranty left.
I know what the private seller was offered at the dealership so I know anything above that is far game. The guy I bought the Infiniti from should have gone to CarMax and sold it. I gave him a little more though and a lot more than the dealer apparently offered when he went to trade it on a BMW X3.

IF I sell the EX35 and find an HHR , it will likely be a private sale. Dealers want waaaay too much for 11 HHRs. My wife thinks I am crazy because I don;t keep vehicles. But When I show her the cost per per vehicle she sees it makes sense. Even paying cash there is a cost per month.

If I get $5900 for my bike it will have cost me $70 a month After accessories!
I figured $12500 is what I have in it total -$6900 sales price divided by 79 months. Not bad. Even if I sold it for $5000 I would still have a decent monthly cost of ownership.
Anyway if you can find a dealership who will pay more for your vehicle and many will buy them I would try to sell it. I have always found carMax a lot higher,

I just did this with the Infiniti, CarMax offered $4000 more than an Infiniti dealer straight buyout. OF course when traditional dealers see you coming with a car to sell, they assume financial issues and take advantage, CarMax is in the business of BUYING CARS Its a different mindset.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I do the same as you. Sometimes just for the heck of it I will put my bike up for a higher than it is worth price. To toot my own horn, my bikes are spotless and well maintained. I always get calls on them but only came down on my price on the last one I sold, my 2002 shadow sabre. I paid $2500 for it and 10 months later I sold it for $4300, I was asking $4500 and thought I wouldn't get that much but this guy wanted it and paid me $4300,
I thought about doing it with my VTX 1300 but I don't know what I would buy if I sold it and I don't want to be without a bike and I don't buy something I don't like just to have a bike.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, I remember when all this first came up it was right after I got my RK :D Good call passing on the Dyna – if you're really interested in a bagger you've got to stick with your gut on that.

I just got my wife a Tacoma btw – love that thing! It's an '06 w/ only 22k miles on it. Bought it from an old-timer who only got it to drive it in the snow, which it doesn't do very often here. The thing is mint and we got a great deal on it.

Still have not had a single issue w/ my Harley, though I've only put 4500 miles on it since June. But I still smile every time I see it. This spring I think it's ape hanger time. Already have them picked out and found an indy shop to put them on (dealership wants $1600 for the install alone!).

Anyway, best of luck with everything. I can't wait to see what you bring home one of these days.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
My Taco was an 08 TRD 2WD DCSB 6 cyl. Very nice. Sold it with 34K But I did not need a truck. I never carried anything I could not put in the HHR or RAV and did not tow anything. Plus it was a beast at 208" long in the garage, I had to pull it up to inches of the cabinets in the garage to get the bike in the back and then put its kickstand on 2X4s to close the garage door. I like to keep my stuff garaged, With the much smaller Infiniti or HHR and RAV I can get to the cabinets and run laps around the garage. Bike is no Problem getting in the back, and pulling in and out without playing juggle the vehicles game.

The Infiniti was just a good buy, I wanted an 08 two year old G37 a few years ago (mid life crisis) but could not make a deal I wanted so I settled on a Honda Accord Coupe which sucked big time. After a year and a half I wanted to stop the depreciation on the honda and get out of it. The only vehicle I researched I could do that was an 08 Tacoma TRD package. It would hold its value and I ended up getting far more for it than I would have if I held on to the Accord.

Then I see the 2010 EX35 with 27K miles which is a "practical" G37 with four doors and a hatch back and I decide to rent a car (since i sold the Tacoma) and go to Hilton Head to see it. I made an offer above Wholesale but well below retail and he was not getting a lot of action so he took it. I dropped the rental off in Hilton Head and drove the EX home. I did put tires on it though. Hated the Dunlops and put it up for sale at $2000 more than I have in it. If I get it great. If not I have a nice car that will not depreciate more than $2000 a year considering what 08s are doing,

AS far as a Harley goes. Its emotion as you know but I am heartened to hear you have had no issues. Thats less than the mileage I would do in a year since I don't go on rides to nowhere anymore. But who knows, different bike. more rides,.......like a newlywed.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do the same as you. Sometimes just for the heck of it I will put my bike up for a higher than it is worth price. To toot my own horn, my bikes are spotless and well maintained. I always get calls on them but only came down on my price on the last one I sold, my 2002 shadow sabre. I paid $2500 for it and 10 months later I sold it for $4300, I was asking $4500 and thought I wouldn't get that much but this guy wanted it and paid me $4300,
I thought about doing it with my VTX 1300 but I don't know what I would buy if I sold it and I don't want to be without a bike and I don't buy something I don't like just to have a bike.
LOL I paid $4500 for my 2000(?) VT1100C and sold it for $4300 a couple years later and wanted a VTX but in 07 the VTX was not FI. SO I bought the Yamaha and never looked back. But I have the same problem. I have such a great bike its hard to find something that blows me away when I get back on my own bike and ride it...i think this is better! The FJR I test rode during bike week was the only bike that made me want to get back on it after getting on mine.... LOL Ticked all the boxes. Wind proof. Good acceleration. MUCH better handling, But its a complicated bike compared to a Harley and that kind of scares me a bit. 4000 mile valve adjustment intervals (once a year for me)

The 1300 Cruiser is really the sweet spot in that genre IMO. That is why i would prefer the TC88 Harley over the 96 (along with a few other nitpicks like the 6 speed)

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Mike I have been using CarMAx for 20 years to get Actual cash Value becasue they will write a check on the spot and that IMO is what the vehicle is worth at that moment'. They have never tried to "steal" a car (except my HHR) .
Yeah, I wasn't complaining about the price they offered, but up to now I only know two people who got estimates from them and we both got the old "previous damage" story. Kind of strange. But if you have had good experiences with them it restores my faith...somewhat.:smile:

·
Registered
337 Posts
My Taco was an 08 TRD 2WD DCSB 6 cyl. Very nice. Sold it with 34K But I did not need a truck. I never carried anything I could not put in the HHR or RAV and did not tow anything.
We got this one for my wife so she can tow her new-to-her, completely restored '67 Aladdin:

Could not BELIEVE how well the Tacomas hold their value when we first started looking. $14k for an '07 with 90k miles?! You've gotta be effin kidding me I thought. But we finally turned our thinking around and realized the resale value is a good thing, so we got a V6 4x4 TRD, which around here are pretty rare (most are 4 cyl 2WD). Paid $22k, which is just under blue book. And we brought it into modern times :D

AS far as a Harley goes. Its emotion as you know but I am heartened to hear you have had no issues. Thats less than the mileage I would do in a year since I don't go on rides to nowhere anymore. But who knows, different bike. more rides,.......like a newlywed.
Yeah I'm guessing when you get a new bike you'll be putting more miles in than you are now. New toys usually do that to a person.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts