Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone has been guilty at one time or another, but what's with people resurrecting 7-8 or older year posts? Even worse, offering advice to the poster-some who haven't been on the site in years. I think they've made a decision since 2007 or 2010.
Check the dates and don't get sucked in when others resurrect these dead threads. If you have a similar question start a new thread.
Rant over, keep posting, I've hit that point where I want to ride-I see a snowmobile in my future.

Dingo.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I know everyone has been guilty at one time or another, but what's with people resurrecting 7-8 or older year posts? Even worse, offering advice to the poster-some who haven't been on the site in years. I think they've made a decision since 2007 or 2010.
Check the dates and don't get sucked in when others resurrect these dead threads. If you have a similar question start a new thread.
Rant over, keep posting, I've hit that point where I want to ride-I see a snowmobile in my future.

Dingo.
we were all newbies at one time and it's easy to get taken in on a thread that speaks to a issue on your mind about your bike etc, they forget or neglect to think about the age of the thread, their attention is focused on the fact they found a possible solution to their (bike) issue or something they wanted to talk about.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts

Dingo.
Now I can't reply to a 7-8 year old thread? Whats next? I guess you'll tell me not to ask "Whats the best motor oil?":mrgreen:

·
Registered
147 Posts
On the flip side, as soon as someone posts a "new thread", some one WILL jump all over him/her for not using the search function to find a 7 year old thread on the same subject. Heaven forbid should the person then respond to said old thread and resurrect it.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
On the flip side, as soon as someone posts a "new thread", some one WILL jump all over him/her for not using the search function to find a 7 year old thread on the same subject. Heaven forbid should the person then respond to said old thread and resurrect it.
:-x can't win :-x

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Not to mention that sometimes search engines dredge up these older threads when the person is looking for a solution and they join to reply or ask questions never knowing the thread age. The only way to fight that is by archiving them, which is not always a good idea if they contain good info. And as a forum Admin elsewhere... thats not something thats easy on a huge one like this.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Not to mention that sometimes search engines dredge up these older threads when the person is looking for a solution and they join to reply or ask questions never knowing the thread age. The only way to fight that is by archiving them, which is not always a good idea if they contain good info. And as a forum Admin elsewhere... thats not something thats easy on a huge one like this.

When did you buy the Fury? Nice looking Bike LOL, it's like suddenly it poped up :D

What was your old bike again?

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
I like old posts and their replies, brings up the names of folks that no longer post here, many of which I miss

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like some of the oldies and goodies too, but when some guy from 7 years posts he wants to change his headlight bulb and then some guy in 2014 tells him to change to brand x it makes him look like a chump. Then someone else sees a post from 20 mins ago and also chimes in it makes chumps of all. The guy hasn't been waiting 7 years for that post to make a decision-it's done! Many times the guy made a couple posts and hasn't been on in 6 1/2 years.

Dingo.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I like some of the oldies and goodies too, but when some guy from 7 years posts he wants to change his headlight bulb and then some guy in 2014 tells him to change to brand x it makes him look like a chump. Then someone else sees a post from 20 mins ago and also chimes in it makes chumps of all. The guy hasn't been waiting 7 years for that post to make a decision-it's done! Many times the guy made a couple posts and hasn't been on in 6 1/2 years.

Dingo.
kinda spooky when that happens:lol:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts

Dingo.
Snow skiing and snowmobiles, about the only two things I miss about the cold and snow in Wisconsin, oh and being able to see all the Packer games on regular TV.
Not what was this thread about, oh yah, old timers bringing up things they forgot about 7 years ago!:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
I don't mind reading them.. It does tend to make me feel that much dumb(er) when I reply to the OP in his "what should I do??!!" threads which are 7 years old tho' .. :neutral:

These days - more and more - I check the date of the thread before posting a reply. .. :)

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
The moderators Police the bandwidth use Really Well :D

I saw one of these "Old Posts" the other day that brought back memories and posters not seen in ages...
I even commented to that effect...

Dammmmed IF I do...
Dammmmed IF I don`t ....

:D

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don't they have a warning that pops up when you reply to a post that's over a certain amount of time?

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
The moderators Police the bandwidth use Really Well :D

I saw one of these "Old Posts" the other day that brought back memories and posters not seen in ages...
I even commented to that effect...

Dammmmed IF I do...
Dammmmed IF I don`t ....

:D

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

Mmm I don't feel damned if I do or don't . but then you know how I view others opinions of my actions in general ;)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
^^^ this has been so for a long time. Now it would be really funny to resurrect a thread from 7 years ago where a person was rebuked for not using the search function.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
It makes sense to me to spend a little time searching through existing posts if you have a question or want to educate newbies. But, if you dig up zombie posts, it might be helpful to say it's an oldie out of courtesy.

So which headlight is best BTW?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts