Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Memories here too. A friend of mine in the 5th or 6th grade (around 1957) had a similar one, I think it was called a "Doodle-Bug" with a 1-1/2 Briggs engine. The old cast iron Briggs engines from scrapped reel type lawnmowers, or gasoline washing machine motors (with kick starters) were pretty easy to come by and we used to use them on our kluged together wooden gokarts.

Rick

· Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, the clutch (a pivoting lever with idler pulley) was a no brainer, but brakes, if any, were a challenge

· Registered
190 Posts
Yep, I never had a clutch 'cuz they were expensive and not easily scrounged.

· Registered
190 Posts
With a Dad in that business, you must have had a lot of friends.

We used to live in a "Leave it to Beaver" type of neighborhood, and one of our favorite pastimes on Saturday mornings was to go "Trash Pile Hunting". It was amazing what kind of mechanical, electrical, and electronic stuff people would throw out. That's when I got started into electronics I guess. Two gifts I got for my 11th Birthday was a Weller soldering gun (to disassemble old radios and stuff for my junk box) and a used Hallicrafters S38-B shortwave receiver. My favorite "toy" was an Erector Set.

· Registered
190 Posts
I had that Erector Set for years. Used to use it for "prototyping" projects :D Do they still make 'em?

LOL - I just used a piece of that angle for an edge to rest my loading ramps on for the bike trailer I just put together.

· Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, if you couldn't afford to buy it, which was usually my case, you had to build it. You can't cut but just so many yards in a summer.

I remember graduating from Lincoln Logs, then to Tinker Toys before the Erector Set.

When I watch my Grandson sit in front of the Nintendo or Gameboy for hours with a glazed look in his eyes, I just shake my head. I did manage to get him to take some interest in RC airplanes and helicopters when he came to visit in the summers, and maybe the video games helped him a little as he learned to hover a heli pretty quickly and also learned to fly planes fairly fast, but he wouldn't stay with it when he went back home. Shame.

· Registered
190 Posts
Tucson,

That was my problem too. When I built something that was sort of cool, I always hated taking it apart. Kinda hard to make it all fit back in the case if you didn't though :)

· Registered
190 Posts
Looking back, I think it was really beneficial in teaching principals of gearing, leverage, etc. I can't help but think a lot of it carried over to practical use later. A lot of stuff that gets you a "deer in the headlights" look from some folks just seems intuitive like you could never remember not knowing it.

· Registered
190 Posts
I just Googled and see what you meant about the specialized sets now. Too many custom parts now. (They probably come in a cardboad box now too.)

· Registered
190 Posts
Now you guys got me all wound up :D I found my old set. Check out this link, it lists all of the sets from the beginning:

http://www.girdersandgears.com/erector-sets.html

Mine was the 1953 No. 7-1/2 Engineers Set. I'll be darned. I specifically remember the oil pump (walking beam engine) on the inside lid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.