Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tucson,

That was my problem too. When I built something that was sort of cool, I always hated taking it apart. Kinda hard to make it all fit back in the case if you didn't though :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looking back, I think it was really beneficial in teaching principals of gearing, leverage, etc. I can't help but think a lot of it carried over to practical use later. A lot of stuff that gets you a "deer in the headlights" look from some folks just seems intuitive like you could never remember not knowing it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just Googled and see what you meant about the specialized sets now. Too many custom parts now. (They probably come in a cardboad box now too.)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I think there was a point in time when Erector sets came with plastic girders and plastic nuts and bolts. The blasphemy! It's like plastic Lincoln Logs.

The horror.

Kermit ... yes, there's tremendous value in toys like that. Not only learning the principles of gears and levers, but also in developing hand/eye coordination and the ability to conceive in the mind's eye something and then command the hands to put it together.

I'm an old fart ... I still think the best toys a kid can have are a set of wood building blocks and a Tonka truck. Dump trucker or grader ... doesn't matter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Now you guys got me all wound up :D I found my old set. Check out this link, it lists all of the sets from the beginning:

http://www.girdersandgears.com/erector-sets.html

Mine was the 1953 No. 7-1/2 Engineers Set. I'll be darned. I specifically remember the oil pump (walking beam engine) on the inside lid.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Legos! Rule at my house. My sixteen year old still plays with them!

This is the other hand made christmas present at my house this year. It's a simple mod but this boy shows it off everywhere he goes

·
Registered
542 Posts
Back in the day {the '60s} my parents bought me a Cheetah {?} mini-bike from the local Woolco store. Woolco was a forerunner to K-Marts and Wal-Marts in my neck of the woods {west central Florida} and it was their grand opening and the mini-bikes were on sale. About half a dozen or so kids in my area got the exact same bike and we had lots of open fields at the local high school to ride on along with miles of paved roads that were not yet developed, no houses at all just roads. Well....as you would guess, contests of speed were happening :twisted: anytime 2 or more of us got together! The rich kids got the Sears brand ones with a Tecumseh engine while our little red Cheetahs had 3 1/2 hp Clinton engines. I was the first one to figure out how to bypass the governor so I was the local hotshot. Those Sears/Tecumsehs would shoot out ahead of us {lower gearing} but we would soon run them down with our hot-rodded Cheetahs! We looked like a mini bike gang :lol:

Those were the days!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hiya Soupbean!

I often wondered if you were still around? Any time you want to meet, just let me know. Been what, a few years now that we're both members here? We only live about 20 miles apart :shock: :wink:

saint

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yes, sorry should have captioned the picture better...
It's a USB Flash Drive. Took the casing off and hollowed out some Lego pieces to make it.

Saint! You don't know how many times I've thought about you as I have taken a Sunday ride through Strausburg and Front Royal...

I would like to meet face to face sometime. I am moving to Utah very soon... Wife and kids will probably remain here untill schools out.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.