Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '95 VT600 that has been a neglected commuter, sitting outside in the weather full time for 15 years. At the moment I'm giving it new paint and taking care of some basic deferred maintenance stuff.

Long story short: Did I spend half the day today looking for parts in all the wrong places, or is it pointless to try to customize this bike?

It seems like very little is available. If it were an 1100 I'd have many options, but it seems like nobody bothers to make aftermarket or custom stuff for the VT600. I read almost all the VT600 threads on this forum today because there aren't very many, relatively speaking. It seems like people don't mess with them much.

Most importantly at this moment (since I'm about to paint) where should I look for rear fenders? I'd prefer a lowboy look that goes down around the rear tire. However, the rear fender currently wraps around the sides and front of the seat, concealing a bunch of wires, and it mates with the side panel pieces which hide wires, hoses, battery, etc. (See below) I think the rear fender needs to stay OEM and I can't swap to a lowboy fender easily.

The tank is small, but nobody seems to make a larger one that I can just drop on. This post suggests the Shadow Spirit 1100 tank is a reasonably good fit, and it's nearly double the size which would change my life. This post suggests I could use a Magna tank with some mods, which would give me .7 gallons more. This guy put a Sabre tank on, 1.3 gallons more, but it looks gimmicky. Are any of them worth it? Who knows...

I'm sure somebody could customize new exhaust for me, but it seems like there's nothing I could simply bolt on other than OEM.

I could re-jet the carb to compensate for the exhaust baffles I removed, but I'm not going to get any extra power from a 600cc so it's probably not worth it.

Since I'm changing the chain I was thinking of reducing the back sprocket slightly so I don't top out at 80-85mph. I'm not sure how rare that part will be, but I'm not optimistic.

All advice welcome! But since I don't want to invest in truly custom stuff for this old beater, it feels I'm pretty much limited to swapping accessories and bits of chrome.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,569 Posts
Anything is worth customizing. If you really want to change the fender then keep the part you like. Screenshot_20191031-123845_Samsung Internet.jpg
I would cut the stock fender and mount the under seat area to whatever fender you chose to use.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Up to you what you spend, Knew a guy who put a 350 4 cyl Honda motor in a hardtail frame with springer etc. years ago. You might have to fabricate stuff. There's also bluecollarbobbers.com , scroll down, they have stuff for the 600 and 750

JTSprockets should have different rear sprockets to fit. I'd drop 1 or 2 teeth in the rear. Go too far and you'll be out of power.
Dropping two teeth on the rear did wonders for my 750 Ace. though others say 3 is better. but then the 750's have a bit more power to play with.

As I see it, there's only 2 rules to go by

1 does the mod work (as well or better than before?)
2 Do You like it

Everything else is just someone's opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Kris Carr - That's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of. It didn't occur to me to chop my fender and merge it with another one, and I'll think about it. Many thanks.

@oldguy - Thanks for the reference to JTSprockets. This little bike isn't very gutsy, so two teeth sounds right.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check out https://shoptjbc.com/collections/vt600-parts-collection. He has quite a few parts to customize the VT600. I'm thinking about getting a fender from him, but first I want to get some velocity stacks to get rid of all the plastic garbage on top of the carbs. He also has some good, short videos.

Also read where lots of folks have used trailer fenders. I'm sure there would be fabrication involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts