Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw the recent posting regarding who was the oldest member of the forum, and thought i would post a similar one: who is/was the oldest member when they started to ride? i was never on a motorcycle until i was 50 years old, when i took the msf class. got my license at age 51 (2006), and my first motorcycle in november 2006. i will be 52 this august. any toppers?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started riding in 2006 at age 57 after I took the msf course. I love it and bought starter bike, a 2006 Honda shadow 600 vlx. Put on 2400 miles since last May.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i've been riding for 13 years and i'm 37 years old, so i don't qualify for this thread, but i just wanted to tip my hat to you folks. i admire you all for taking up motorcycling even though some narrow-minded people might say "you're too old."

i'm convinced that it takes doing things like this to keep us feeling alive.

ride safe!

-miguel

·
Registered
63 Posts
oldest nebie

I have to add my secretary to this. In the summer of 2005 at 50 yrs old I took her for a ride on my Gold Wing. The first time she had ever been on a motorcycle. I took her for one more ride after that. That is all it took, she was hooked. She bought her own bike, a 99VLX in March of 2006. She took the MSF coarse in April. She started riding in a nearby parking lot until she was confident enough to hit the road. She rode with me every time until July 2006. She then started going out on her own. In a short period of time she was an excellent rider and I am very proud of her.
She even went on an out of state trip to Ohio with a small group and rode back home alone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Me Too

Well I took the MSF course in Oct 05 at the age
of 68. Started on a 88 VLX for 4000 miles then
traded for a new 05 Spirit which now has
9000 miles. Riding made me feel 20 years
younger. :lol:
TRed2

·
Registered
934 Posts
I tip my hat too! I love that positive attitude, it keeps you young :D

I just quit playing competitive rugby at 50 only because my one knee is pretty much shot. But I can ride and do pretty much everything else that is fun.

The point is, do what you love and follow your dreams.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I started riding again at 56. I first got my motorcycle endorsement in 1985 on a Honda Elite scooter. I had it about a week and traded it back in on a Honda Rebel. I had it for about a year and sold it. I bought a Honda Silver Wing scooter 2 years ago and rode it back and forth to work and the wife and I would take some short rides on the weekends. Then last year my neighbor had his Honda Shadow for sale and I bought it and sold the Silver Wing. Then last June the wife and I rode the Shadow down to the Honda Hoot. Put about 1500 miles on the Shadow that week and about 6200 miles last year. I just wish that I wouldn't have taken such a long break between 1985 and 2005.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Never rode or owned a bike until 2 years ago when I bought my first bike and started riding at age 56. Thanks chornbe for getting me going. 8)

·
Registered
119 Posts
She won't ever take up riding alone, but over Christmas break my brother and I was able to get my 94 year old grandmother to take her first ever ride on a motorcycle! Her first husband (my true grandfather) died while riding one to work back in the 50's and she never has liked them since. Now several of us in my family have one and she seemed interested to experience it before it's too late. Well, she didn't go far, about 4 miles round trip and her heart rate had went WAY up!!! But, she had a smile on her face after she calmed back down and wanted to make sure the pictures came out good!! hehehe Even called her son and left him a voice mail that she was coming to see him on a motorcycle!!! hahah She still has a great sense of humor!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Easy

My wife got her license at 60. Booked 20K miles her first year. Wore out one bike, working on a second. A friend didn't start until SHE was 76. That was nearly 8 years ago. She rode her own H-D Herritage Classic until around Thanksgiving. She said it was getting a little heavy for her (She weighs about 115#!). She still rides with the group and is looking for the right "smaller" bike.
Glad to have you on board.

enjoy the ride!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts