Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gentleman ... my new ride:

About 36 hours old and already with 300 miles on it. :)

Back in November I rented a Wing for the day, and I was astonished by the bike. I was a bit apprehensive on purchasing this for fear that I'd built larger-than-reality memories of that experience. But the past 300 miles have reconfirmed what I learned then ... the Goldwing is a remarkable bike.

Now, all that said, I will confess that it was a bit sad to polish up the Shadow one last time and drive it to the dealer for trade. The Spirit was a fine bike, and it took me nearly 11,000 miles in the year. I hope someone stumbles upon it at the dealership and gives it a good home.

By the way, the Cobra floorboards for that are still for sale ... $150 or reasonable offer ... assume $10 additional for shipping. PM me if you're interested.

I consider myself very fortunate and blessed to be able to afford something like this at this point in my life. I suspect it'll be the last motorcycle I purchase for quite some time. That's okay ... there's little this bike can't do.

(Except navigate lonely stretches of gravel road in the Alaskan outback. We discussed this on a different thread. :) )

Here's the more immediate problem ... you can't begin to imagine the wide array of accessories available for the Goldwing. Holy Amrap! note Where to begin?

Note: Bonus points for anyone who can tell me what "Holy Amrap!" is from. My Detroit bretheren who were teenagers in the early 70's should remember. Channel 50, 11:30pm Saturday nights.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Don,

That is an awesome bike !!! Congrats on the new ride and I hope you enjoy the piss out of it.

Joe

·
Registered
448 Posts
Don,

That is one nice bike. I like the color too, very classy.

But back to the subject of your message. You didn't purchase a motorcycle, you purchased something to hang all your accesories on. :lol:

I don't have any suggestions but I can tell you I've seen some really nice Wings out there. Most Honda dealers have a wall just for Wing stuff.

Good luck and I'm sure you're going to enjoy that ride.

Oh yea, as far as "Holy Amrap!" I have no freakin' idea. But I'll check back to find out.

Steve

·
Registered
859 Posts
Son, that is one one nice looking ride you have there. I am guessing that you will be riding a little farther out than your use too. The blue looks damn nice. From what I've been told the 'Wing makes a 1000 mile juant feel like a 100 mile sunday ride on a smooth road. Can't wait to hear about the road adventures you are gonna have. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very nice Don & congrats. She's beautiful!!
So the next time I meet up with you can we trade bikes for a few miles. :lol:

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Good looking Wing there Don...and I'm glad you THINK it's your last bike. I've been thru that thought process many times!!! :roll: :lol: :lol:

You might want to ride that baby just a shade more than make a list of "I wants". This will give you a better idea of truly needed items rather than those "bling bling items" that serve no useful purpose. Adding "chrome" just adds weight and work (clean-up...continually). Try more for comfort/safety items.

Since your moving up in HP and a very different sized bike....use your best judgement rather the "inflated ego" from owning a very good motorcycle. :wink:

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Poppopopopopopa oh mow mow mow, poppa oh mow mow.........thanks for the memories. Thats when I first started blowing up my model cars with fire crackers.

The Ghoul. I grew up in Flint.

btw, nice Wing. Does it actually need any extra's. Don't they come with everything from the factory. lol

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gat803 said:
Poppopopopopopa oh mow mow mow, poppa oh mow mow.........thanks for the memories. Thats when I first started blowing up my model cars with fire crackers.

The Ghoul. I grew up in Flint.

btw, nice Wing. Does it actually need any extra's. Don't they come with everything from the factory. lol
Ding! Gat803 wins the prize!

"Pluck your magic twanger, Frog-eeeeeeeee!" :)

"Amrap" is indeed "Parma" spelled backwards. The Ghoul had this thing about Parma.

Note: "The Ghoul" was a local TV show hosted by Ron Sweed. It was on from 11:30pm to 1:00am Saturday night. He played awful B horror movies, and at commercial breaks would come on with various skits and such ... one of which was a penchant for blowing things up. Particularly anything fans would send in. I will never forget a Thankgiving episode where he illustrated proper turkey cooking tecnniques. Except it involved a plastic lawn flamingo. And lots of Cheeze Whiz. And firecrackers.

The Wing has all sorts of stuff on it, but there are some things on my short list -- a backrest, and some rear and forward safety lighting. Beyond that, the various bling items don't really interest me much.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ashadowrider said:
Has anyone told you where the airfilter is located yet?
Not yet ... but based on your picture I'm guessing it's not very accessible. I do have a copy of the service manual. The throttle is definitely responsive. :)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grampa said:
So the next time I meet up with you can we trade bikes for a few miles. :lol:
Absolutely. This time I won't chicken out on the offer to ride your FJR.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Congrats, Don. Enjoy it. Glad you got the faster and more comfortable Blue one, too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts