Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mrgreen: My wife is finally interested in a bike of her own but wants a trike. My question is what make of bike would be the easiest to build a trike with? I have all the right tools to make one. And she wants me to customise it to her liking. So any ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Not to sound indelicate, but how old is your wife? Have you thought about one of the bolt on trike kits? That way when she decides the trike is getting old you can unbolt the wheel carriage and have a two wheeled motorcycle. Or have you thought about a side car?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Goldwings are nice since they have reverse, but the easiest backyard build without paying inflated prices for a kit is gona be a chain drive bike.

You could build an electric reverse with a washing maching motor on some kind of variable resistor too if your really keen.

·
Registered
561 Posts
VW was always the best and easiest. Not sure how easy it is to find the motors and trannys now.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Find one already built and then mod it for her likings!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Goldwings are nice since they have reverse, but the easiest backyard build without paying inflated prices for a kit is gona be a chain drive bike.

You could build an electric reverse with a washing maching motor on some kind of variable resistor too if your really keen.
This.

Or consider buying those kits that you can hook and unhook to your liking. I don't know what they are called, but they have one wheel on each side of the bike and you can easily unhook it to make it a bike again. I see them all the time in motorcycle rags. I'm going to have to go look now...

·
Registered
673 Posts
This.

Or consider buying those kits that you can hook and unhook to your liking. I don't know what they are called, but they have one wheel on each side of the bike and you can easily unhook it to make it a bike again. I see them all the time in motorcycle rags. I'm going to have to go look now...
This is what I meant too

Here is a link

·
Registered
673 Posts
I hate to say it, but I hate trikes. May as well buy a Mazda miata.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Trikes are OK... they just take a different kind of skill to ride. And, they keep people on the road enjoying the ride, when otherwise they might have to just give it up or never start. 2 wheels, 3 wheels... it's all OK with me :)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
dcracer25:

My wife drives one of the two trikes we have (also have 2 Two-wheelers) and one I built. As "Bluenose" mentions, a chain drive bike is the easiest/cheapest to build. But you asked "what bike" for the wife. That makes the issue tougher.

Just a few ideas: the "Voyager" kit (adding an extra set of wheels(2)) can be attached to most bikes of 600cc and up. Cost is not too bad (??) but issues are it's a loose, noisey, extra weight but safe for the new rider.

Gold Wings trike options: many options from Motortrike to Leahmans and others. Most expensive as the bikes with this option are higher priced in re-sale because of high inital cost (up to $9,000). This option has most all the bells/whistles from the bike to the kit. Buying an older Wing (1980-up to 1999) is still exspenive as they retain their value.

HD's: Harley got into this business about 3 yrs. ago with the newer body styles from Leahman's and is on only one or two models. Still very expensive.

Other options: Motortrike and Leahmans came out with models that fit the Honda Shadow VT750 (Jackal mosel i think) and some of the Kawi's, Yammy's, Suzuki.

Still other options: get a water-cooled inline 4 or a V-Twin (water cooled or not) with a chain drive and make yourself the rear drive unit (only have to drive one wheel) with some 4" x .125" walled tubing and install some spindels with a 4 or 5 bolt wheel pattern. Build the sub frame off the rear frame section and modify the swing arm to mount to the rear wheel tube housing and the add frame work to hang body panels of sheetmetal or (just for giggles) buy some quarter panels from "Year One" and those panels being for a Mustang or Camero. OR, maybe a Vette rear section (old style 63-67)!!!!!

I made a "few" call's, e-mails to get my "used" Motortrike body (1996-9 (?))for my 1985 Gold Wing and fabbed everything (I narrowed a Ford Ranger truck rear about 17"...housing/axles), cut drive-shaft/welded to Ranger U-joint, running drum brakes, used the stock air shock system, added aux. gas tank, Mustang mags, etc. Some may say why use this or that....why???, becuase it's what I had to use to build the trike. The wife loves to drive this rig mostly cause she has "tunes" (radio/tape). And I don't mind sitting behind her going down the Interstates waving to the kids!!!! :)))

Need more info send e-mail.

Bullzeyet

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There is a midget (dwarf? little person? whatever may be politically correct...) that rides a Suzuki Boulevard trike properly modified to fit his stature. It is a full size trike. I always wave or nod as he goes by, and he does the same. He is quite well known amongst bikers and riders here in town.

Trikes are not bad in my opinion. Just different. Some people don't have the required ability to ride a bike, so at least a trike gives them somewhat the same feel. Definitely not something you can get from a Miata (although, they are fun cars). :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
A trike from scratch is a pretty ambitious undertaking. Oh yes VW air cooled stuff is still very much alive and well, most of it NOS. Rode VW trikes in the California sand dunes way back when.
Google "Honda Shadow trikes".. theres stuff happening for them out there..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for all the replies, keep em coming. my wife isn't interested in driving a 2wheel bike. but here in ny she can get an endosement for 3 wheel trike. Like I said I have all the tools to do this, I used to race and build stockcars so fabracation is nothing new to me. I can no longer race due to back injury and recent surgery, just got ok to ride again. so why not put my skills to work and make my wife happy, at least we would be still riding together.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts