Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm a new member here and I had somewhat asked this question as a follow up comment in the member intro area, but I figured it might get more traffic here instead.

I'm 29 and completely new to riding. I've never actually driven a motorcycle. I'm scheduled for a Motorcycle Safety Course the weekend after next, and I'm currently shopping around for my first bike. My question is one of logistics and which logic is more sound.

I'm considering a used (circa 2001-ish) Shadow 750 ACE as my first bike but my concern is that I'm not exactly a small guy. I'm 5'11" and 275-280lbs. I'm also a fairly strong person, so I'm thinking a heavier bike might be less of a concern for me. I'm looking for a couple of opinions from you guys as to which makes more sense; going with the smaller 750 for the less steep learning curve for a new rider but outgrowing it more quickly(especially with my size) or going with the larger 1100 and having a more steep learning curve with the bigger bike, but having a bike I can enjoy for a longer period of time? Which makes more sense to you all? Let me also say that I don't think maturity is an issue. I'm well past the knucklehead stage and am more interested in a relaxing ride to and from work and on the weekends. My wife just had twins last month and this is my "getaway". She's got the gym, I'll have my bike. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
I would personnally get a 1100 if I were you. I am a tad smaller than you not much, and last year this time I bought my first bike, a 2006 Aero 750. Within a month or so I wanted bigger! I rode it for a few months, and sold it. The actual feel from a 750-1100-1300 to me was barely noticeable. I would if I were you find a 1100 Sabre or maybe even a Yamaha Vstar 1100 and jump on it. Go slow and ride your ride, dont rush it, just take it easy and enjoy. The MSC will help you tons!
Coop

·
Registered
256 Posts
The 750 will feel like a mini-bike to you. Get the 1100, you'll be very happy and will get use with it in the long run. 750 may be a good starter, but I think you're too big for it. Plus the 1100 will have the pep you need in a bike. With the 750 you'll be wanting to trade up in no time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
enjoy is an important key

I'm on 2 wheels again after several years in a cage and I couldnt be happier. I bought also to assist with my daily commute 60M RT so budget was a factor and I love to get a good deal. I'm 6'3 235 and have driven everything from mini bikes to a VMAX. I have never worried about cc's and instead always thought how I could get the most out to the 2 wheels I had access to. Here's my latest good deal...83vt750c. lots of miles and lots of character, but she obeys the throttle and gets me into the wind! If you go big,be patient and respect the power! Find the right deal and learn to love what you decide on...best to you and bring back pics!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I debated the same thing when I got back into riding. Went with the 1100 - and it is only 50 pounds heavier than the 750, with lots more oomph. I also prefer the shaft drive of the 1100 over the chain drive of the 750.

Don't get me wrong - either bike is great, but with only 50 pounds difference, it is the 1100 all the way, in my book.

·
Registered
748 Posts
1100. Just take your time and get a feel for it. The learning curve will be about the same since you're a newbie. This way you won't out-grow your new (to you) scoot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whew!! just saw the price difference between the two though! it's about a grand more, give or take.... Is there any reason why I might want to stay with a bike built in the 2000's rather than the late 90's? Or might it be vice-versa? I can find (relatively) low mileage 1100's built in the 90's that are near the same price as 750's built in the early to mid 2000's...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am the exact same size as you are. At first I was looking for as many cc's as I could get. I rode a few bigger bikes then I happen to see the ACE. I instantly fell in love with how the bike looked, but was concerned about it being only a 750. Finding an 1100 ACE in my area was just not happening so I took the 750 for a ride. Was very impressed with the bike and had no trouble hitting highway speed very quickly on it. Highway speed around here is 70. Bike pulls me to 85 without a complaint when I ask it to, but it's not instantaneously. The 750 is a great motor with enough power to be safe, but you will never pull away from a sport bike. The ACE is one of the best looking bikes IMO. I say go for the 750. If you don't like it you can trade up later.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Another vote for the 1100, just take it easy.
Newer vs older is another consideration. I opted for an older 1100 (mine is a 2000) vs a newer 750 (like 2006 or so).
But older bikes will be more likely to have problems. If you go with older bike, you can find one that has been taken care of.
Hopefully, you can find a local friend (who knows bikes) who can help you shop. That is the most important tip I can offer!
Dan

·
Registered
666 Posts
I went through the same decision a few months back, im about the same size as you, i figured its all new to me so whats the difference with going to the 1100, I'm glad i did, i rode a friends 750 and it just didnt have the pep i wanted. i say 1100 all the way

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 2007 Shadow 750 with the shaft drive. It does anything I want it to do, including 85 - 90 on the turnpike every day. At first, I had an issue with the seat but after installing a Mustang seat, the bike and I seemed to be fit just fine for one another. Getting aftermarket pipes and a K&N filter seemed to boost the performance noticeably. I love the way this bike handles...very different from an 1100, which I have also ridden.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have put almost 4k on my Aero 750 since picking it up on Ebay in April.
I'm only 180lbs ....... so far the bike has not disappointed me.
This is my first , so I can't compare....

·
Registered
851 Posts
I would personnally get a 1100 if I were you. I am a tad smaller than you not much, and last year this time I bought my first bike, a 2006 Aero 750. Within a month or so I wanted bigger! I rode it for a few months, and sold it. The actual feel from a 750-1100-1300 to me was barely noticeable. I would if I were you find a 1100 Sabre or maybe even a Yamaha Vstar 1100 and jump on it. Go slow and ride your ride, dont rush it, just take it easy and enjoy. The MSC will help you tons!
Coop
What he said.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was looking at a 2008 Suzuki C50T with 1300 miles on it and they wouldn't come down to a reasonable price. I almost pulled the trigger anyway even though I was uncomfortable but I ultimately figured it would happen when it was right. So I looked at other places and found an 2009 Aero 750 with 230 miles on it for $5400 out the door. Then I jumped on it and it runs great. I just took it in for its 600 mile service today (it has about 1100 miles on it now though).

My advice would be to wait until you find the right bike at the right price. Don't be pushed into anything you are not comfortable with. Also, look at more than one place (both online and physically walking in). You will find the right bike and be totally happy with the purchase that way. It may take a few weeks of patience but it will happen.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I recommend the 1100. They are very accommodating rides with plenty of power but not overly powerful. It should keep you happy for several years.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.