Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry. That old song popped into my head.
Post #3

I decided that I don't like my tires at the recommended 29 psi. They we're around 32 psi when I got be bike. I let a little air out to bring it down to the recommended pressure for my weight. They feel too soft and I have a had time controling the bike. I'm all over the place. I put some more air in them and they feel much better.

5ft2
With Eyes of Blue

·
Registered
88 Posts
i'm liking your bags. i bought mine with some cheap vinyl one on. i've been looking online for some nice leather ones. Viking has some simulated one the have got good reviews. whats on yours?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I run mine at 38. I am a heavy MFer...even though the girlfriend is a nice normal weight, thats still a lot. (She won't tell me how much she weighs, threatens me with bad things if I find out... :) )

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm liking your bags. i bought mine with some cheap vinyl one on. i've been looking online for some nice leather ones. Viking has some simulated one the have got good reviews. whats on yours?
They're Honda brand. Came with the bike. Heavy leather over a plastic core to hold the shape. I like them but they take a little work occasionally to clean and protect from rain. Not a big deal though.

5ft2
With Eyes of Blue

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run mine at 38. I am a heavy MFer...even though the girlfriend is a nice normal weight, thats still a lot. (She won't tell me how much she weighs, threatens me with bad things if I find out... :) )
Yeah, we women are secretive about such things. I'm 5'2" and closer to 100 then 200. Took my daughter out for a quick trip yesterday (my first passenger). She's a tall 5'8" and naturally heavier then me. Again the tires were too soft at 32 psi for tue two of us. They are stock tires so I wonder where they came up with those numbers? Way too soft in my opinion but I've only been riding for a month. It's like trying to dribble a soft basketball.

Also decided that I won't be taking daughter for rides any time soon. It's fine when moving but too much weight for me to comfortably control at stop lights. Maybe I need to work out or something. Or perhaps it's just because I don't have the body weight to balance the extra load. I even find the extra 30 lbs from a full tank of gas makes a noticeable difference.

That being said, the bike "is" getting smaller the more I ride her (bikes are she's yes?)

5ft2
With Eyes of Blue

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
i run about 34 front and rear nice bike BTW

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tim. I bought it because I liked the colour, burnt orange. (Such a cliché chick response, eh? LOL).

5ft2
With Eyes of Blue

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
They're Honda brand. Came with the bike. Heavy leather over a plastic core to hold the shape. I like them but they take a little work occasionally to clean and protect from rain. Not a big deal though.

well as king would say - the cows didnt have a problem in the rain before we killed them to make pretty bags hahaha

i run my tires at 30

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Welcome aboard. Real nice ride ya got there.

I ride 29 lbs front, 41 lbs rear. I'm 6'2, 210. Pressure seems okay to me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
5ft2
Are you sure you are not confusing air pressure in your tires with where your shocks should be set for extra weight on the bike?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
5ft2
Are you sure you are not confusing air pressure in your tires with where your shocks should be set for extra weight on the bike?
Hi Ronnie. Nope I know the difference. I already cranked the shocks up to 3 (or maybe 4, I can't remember and can't see where it is right now through my saddle bags.). I am blonde but know the difference. :wink:

When I bought the bike the tires were at 32 but I let some pressure out to 29 as per my weight. I really noticed how squirrely it feels like that. Much easier to keep 'er in a straight line with the extra air pressure. (And yes I check it cold.). I appreciate the advice though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Ronnie. Nope I know the difference. I already cranked the shocks up to 3 (or maybe 4, I can't remember and can't see where it is right now through my saddle bags.). I am blonde but know the difference. :wink:

When I bought the bike the tires were at 32 but I let some pressure out to 29 as per my weight. I really noticed how squirrely it feels like that. Much easier to keep 'er in a straight line with the extra air pressure. (And yes I check it cold.). I appreciate the advice though.
OK, it was just a thought based on my flawed interpretation of the way your were explaining it. :-D

I hope you get it going your way soon! :grin:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, it was just a thought based on my flawed interpretation of the way your were explaining it. :-D

I hope you get it going your way soon! :grin:
No problem. I might not have been as clear as I had intended. I was just surprised at how poorly it handles at the recommended tire pressure. It took me a few days to figure it out because I thought it was my lack of experience at first. I finally remembered that i had reduced fhe tire pressure and as soon as I pumped it back up...voila...100% improved handling.

I see from other posts that other riders also have higher tire pressure. So there must be something to it. :-?

5ft2
With Eyes of Blue

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,089 Posts
I just think it's funny because I had the opposite problem not too long ago. My bike was feeling squirrely going around curves and when I checked the air pressure, the rear tire was way too high. Let it out to 29 and the bike was feeling just fine again. (Metzler tires.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Tim. I bought it because I liked the colour, burnt orange. (Such a cliché chick response, eh? LOL).

5ft2
With Eyes of Blue
lol, actually I was thinking the same thing about the color, I think it looks sharp....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lol, actually I was thinking the same thing about the color, I think it looks sharp....:mrgreen:
This!!!

I wear a hi-vis yellow vest. I was tickled to find out they make them in hi-vis orange. Hubby is going to pick one up for me. I already got matching nail polish for my toes and an orange t-shirt, cause I'm such a girly girl.:roll:
(but I don't cry when I break a nail and I'm working on riding like the "big boys"):wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts