Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on here in quite a while, so I don't know if anyone has brought this up. Some of the Shadows have one piece handle bars, where the risers are welded to the bars. These are BREAKING on many bikes.

If you have this type of handlebars, please check them. They most often break on the back of the left weld. If you run your fingernail across and feel anything, please DO NOT RIDE your bike until you change bars.

My friend's broke in a corner and she is lucky she ended up with a compound fracture to both bones in her right leg, and a compound fracture to both bones in her right arm. Her friend had her bike stored in her garage. When we checked it, it too had a hairline fracture adjacent to the weld. Scary scary stuff.

Also, if you find these brakes, please don't toss 'em out. There is pending litigation.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Hope your friend is going to be ok. Post up a pic of the bars so we know exactly which ones you are talking about.
Coop

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
This further points out that you need to CHECK your ride periodically.. I mean really ,would spending a few minutes checking out your bike at least once week kill ya.. a broken handle bar or a loose wheel nut might!

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Aero 750's from '04 - '07 were the only 750's manufactured with the one-piece bar and riser set-up (see debibloss' post above). If you do not have a Aero model produced those years, it doesn't apply to your bike.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I hope friend heals up soon and gets to feeling better. I've been thinking about putting the same year Aero bars on my Spirit. Now I wonder if those 2007 bars would carry over to some of the 08's, with the chance to crack. I'm also not sure they would mount without modification.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
I hope friend heals up soon and gets to feeling better. I've been thinking about putting the same year Aero bars on my Spirit. Now I wonder if those 2007 bars would carry over to some of the 08's, with the chance to crack. I'm also not sure they would mount without modification.
The '08's were fitted with separate risers and bars. It's a non-issue after '07.

ONLY THE '04 - '07 AERO'S WERE OUTFITTED WITH ONE-PIECE BARS/RISERS.

Everybody got that now and understand?

Once more: IF YOU HAVE A AERO MODEL YEAR '08 OR LATER, YOU HAVE SEPARATE BARS AND RISERS. IF YOU HAVE A SPIRIT THAT YOU WISH TO OUTFIT WITH AERO BARS AND RISERS, ORDER THEM FROM THE '08 MODEL YEAR AND LATER. THEY WILL WORK JUST FINE AND WILL BE ADJUSTABLE UP AND DOWN.

We all good here now? Everyone on the same page?

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Hey! I have an 07 Aero! :shock: I went right outside and checked mine. Hmmmm...seem ok. The weld on the left does feel a bit rougher than the weld on the right. I'll keep an eye on it.

For now I just wrapped it in duck tape as a precaution. :grin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pics

She felt the bars break, then couldn't steer. She was in a slow corner, or she would be dead. Her 11 yo daughter was feeling lazy and stayed home that day. This could have been so much worse, she thanks God every day it was only an arm and a leg.

I wouldn't risk it with these bars - and all the problems seem to be with the left weld.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
She felt the bars break, then couldn't steer. She was in a slow corner, or she would be dead. Her 11 yo daughter was feeling lazy and stayed home that day. This could have been so much worse, she thanks God every day it was only an arm and a leg.

I wouldn't risk it with these bars - and all the problems seem to be with the left weld.

Whoa! Glad she's OK. She should most definitely contact Honda of North America about that.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Ummmm...:shock: Anyone have suggestions for new/different bars? :shock:

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Stock riser's and bars off a '08 and newer Aero. Plus, you'll be able to adjust them! I call that a win-win.:D
:shock: Yeah...a bit of adjustment couldn't hurt. I'll look into that. :-D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Checked another bike, found another bad weld. The problem seems to be that the bars are weakened around the point of the weld. There is a stress fracture that may lead to the bars breaking, usually during a corner. I could just see myself on a nice sunny day taking the corners as hard as I want and SNAP no bars. They just spin on the one riser that's still attached.

Yes, things break on bikes. I know, I started on a '87 1100 sportster and spent many hours doing roadside repairs. But when it comes to something that will probably kill you, why not check it and fix it? I want to live to ride again, and again, and again, and again . . .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.