Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2002 Shadow 1100
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today marks one year since I got my motorcycle license and started riding at the ripe age of 50. I got the cheapest bike I could find on Craigslist, a Honda Shadow, which I ride to work every day. It's been totally reliable except for a coolant thermostat, which I replaced. I've put four thousand miles on it, and I hope to be riding it for years to come. Last winter was hard since I had minimal gear, even an open-faced helmet. I froze. Now I have a full helmet and some much warmer BMW gear given to me by a motorcycle cop friend. Riding even at sub-freezing temps is quite comfortable.

I've met and talked to a number of other riders this past year, many of whom experienced accidents, limping, showing me scars. I have a student who lost his dad in a motorcycle accident two months ago. And just the other day a rider got hit in my small town by a careless driver. He's in intensive care. It's sobering. But I love riding and plan to continue. I ride for all the same reasons you all ride. Why would someone put on all those layers and get on a bike to ride to work on the highway in the dark with 25 degree temps? Because you love it.

My longest single ride so far has only been 240 miles. It was this past summer, and I rode through both intense heat and later hard rain. I didn't realize it could be so hot riding a motorcycle. That rain really felt good. I hope to do a multi-day ride sometime this year.

Thanks for listening and hope you all have some good winter riding...

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,336 Posts
Good to hear your are enjoying your bike and staying safety conscious.
If you get a mesh jacket they allow air flow through, and much better than leather in the heat.

· Registered
11,305 Posts
I've put four thousand miles on it, and I hope to be riding it for years to come.

Bet anyone a donut you're gonna post about wanting something 'a little bit bigger', and then post pictures of what you got. Happens to many of us and it cannot be stopped. ;)

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,508 Posts
I reentered @ 53 though I retained my endorsement over the years before. I've rode 73,000 mi. on 3 different bikes 08'-22'. I'm hoping to downsize to a lighter ride but with the same PTWR as the Valk this spring. Love the Valk but I don't see myself getting anymore Superpowers in the future. :giggle: And for you that are younger, don't miss the opportunity of owning a Valkyrie why you're still young or older. ;)

· Registered
503 Posts
A lot of us have gotten back into riding after years of other modes of transport.
I started riding again back in 2017 at the ripe old age of 58 after purchasing Trinity, my 2007 Honda Shadow Aero, from a friend. A 10 year old bike and she only had 5888 miles on her!
I completed a riding course as it had been too many years since I last rode...
I have put 26,087 miles on her since then, moslty commuting to work and back.

Reactions: Bdilz99 and arseny
1 - 8 of 8 Posts