Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So. My fan didn't work. I was messing with the fan wires a bit. Now nothing at all on my bike lights up. Any advice? Hard to work on a bike with no power to it.

85 shadow 500

·
Registered
561 Posts
Basics..is the fuse(s) blown?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sounds like you shorted something out. Time to start checking fuses.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
This is why you don't MESS with things. Check fuses, look for shorts in any circuit with a blown fuse. Next look for loose and broken wires in the areas you were Messing around. The tank seat and radiator will need to be removed for proper testing.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
I was messing with the fan wires a bit.
I`d start there and find what I did that caused this problem...
Don`t MESS with things!!!...
EDIT:
Now that I got that out the way...
You should always disconnect the battery before attempting to work on any part of the vehicle; per manual...
You might have a loose battery terminal connector???
You might have a blown fuse being as you were Messing with the fan wires...
You could have unplugged something...
I wish I were there, OR you can bring it here,
Dennis
Sturgis2011

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
By "mess" I mean attempt to fix. This bike I got was initially in non running condition. Seized. I have since got it running except the fan. Had to clean carbs and take the front brake caliper apart and clean it up. De rusted gas tank etc etc. An oversight on not disconnecting the battery sux sure. But jeez. I didn't mean I was goin at t with a sledge. Just disconnecting/reconnecting to see if it might have been a bad connection

Fuses seem fine is what worries me. I hope to heck I didn't short something and just wondering if someone could help me locate the fault. I'm going to replace all the fuses and hope that breathes life back into it. But as for now. There is absolutely no power to anything.

And unfortunately. I have no access to Georgia =(

I'm hoping for "unplugged"

·
Registered
561 Posts
Unplugged, or are you absolutley sure the battery is good? Or perhaps a bad ground?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My "smart" charger says my battery is full. And it's a new battery. Up to that point it was working fine. Today I will be getting some new fuses and a tester. Maybe that will help me spot the problem a lil easier.

·
Registered
17,138 Posts
Got a meter????
I`d check those fuses with a meter rather than replace a good one with a good one...
I`m not being hardnosed, I know you can`t read the fun intended expression, I put into these posts...
We are here to help, not to hender you through these difficult times of NONrunning motorcycle issues......
IF the battery is a good, 12Volt source, then you go from there...
checking connections until you find it...
The reason MOM says to disconnect the battery before working on it is to cover their burito...
I think it may be a safety item too, soas NOT to burn up anything, or have it crank up and run over you...
Help is on the way IF you`re between me and Sturgis...

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had the same problem on my 83. Turned out it was a broken solder joint in my ignition assembly - where the main wire goes from the battery to the ignition switch. Takes about 5 minutes to get it out and check it - that'd be my guess for absolutely no power.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
appearently, im not as careless as i thought, somehow, it was the battery. multimeter showed me the light was reading .8 outta 12

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Well glad you figured it out! Now get that joker ready and on the road, it'll be freezing up again up there soon:p
Coop

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No can do unfortunately. Fan is still shot. And I think I need a new set of float needles to keep the gas from flooding my crankcase. It was a fixer when I bought it. I'm surprised I've moved along this far with nil mechanical experience.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts