Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a monster bike at almost 800 pounds. Anyone ridden one and compare with an 1100 Shadow?

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
Going from a Shadow 1100 to an 800lb bike is a good thing if you regularly ride freeways, carry a passenger, like a lot of low end grunt.. Not so good if you hobble around town intersection to intersection,

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's my Dad's bike. He threatened to give it to me or sell it. I'd have to fly across the country and ride it back (in the summer if at all). I've been missing my Sabre just a wee little bit since I sold it and might start looking for something a little more cruiserish in a year or so for local weekend rides... The Sabre was quite easy around town and twisties, not so great on my 80 mile commute.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Well, it's almost 800 lbs before you put anything in the bags or get on. It has a 1300cc engine.

It will be a great cruiser but will give you a workout around town.

Still, a free bike is a free bike. You could ride it cross country and if you don't like it sell it for your dad. You get a cross country ride out of the deal.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Don't be an idiot, TAKE IT. Yes, it's a monster but that V-4 is one of the best motorcycle engines ever made.

And speaking as a dad I'd be a little hurt if my kid rejected a nice gift like that.:-(

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Almost bought one until I rode the Stratoliner. The Tour Deluxe is a great bike with the slightly down tuned VMAX V-4. The only complaint I have about it; feels top heavy, but many say you get use to it. Some had some gearing noise due to the cut of the gears but still are bullet prof. There was a guy at Bike week with one with 275,000 miles on his that was a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Had one very top heavy good on the expressway crap around town. Very poor design all the weight above the axle line. Had it for 1 year got rid of it for a V- Star 1300. Also you need some long legs or it is high because of the seat design. Look elsewhere much better bikes to choose from.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
ARE YOU KIDDING?? Go get it!! It's a free bike and you get to ride it cross-country! I had a '98...great bike...shoulda kept it, even with the few drawbacks such as being big and heavy.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds like it might be a free bike, but it also signifies an end to something. Dad lives in MN, so it's up on stilts for the winter now. It's getting harder for him to ride and he's thinking about hanging it up. He stuffed his Venture under the back of a car a few years ago and has been struggling with this 4-year leftover (mechanically - carb issues) ever since he bought it. The dealer rebuilt the carbs once, but he said it still has a bit of a surging issue. It might get fixed and he will likely have a change of heart when it warms up again. I'm going to try and help him enjoy as much of his time left as he can, if I can...

I think I would really like the V4, loved the old Magnas I had...lusted for the VMAX for a few months, but my legs are too long and that intake was in the way...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I say jump on it if he is dead-set on giving it to you. You'd be a good home for a fantastic machine. Other than that, I'm sure it's an easy fix as far as it surging, just need to get the right guy to look at it!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Looks like a monster bike at almost 800 pounds. Anyone ridden one and compare with an 1100 Shadow?
I test rode one a few years back and had two issues. First, the seat height was up around 29-30 inches which isn't ideal for a guy with a 30" inseam and second was the bike is very top heavy which I really don't like when I'm on my tippy-toes. Just too easy for things to get out of hand.

A bit hard to compare with an 1100, apples and oranges.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,437 Posts
A fellow coworker has one and I was impressed how well balanced it was just by sitting on it. Very much like the Indian Chief. My Valk was a little awkward @ 1st. but like all bikes you will adapt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts