Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I haven't posted here much but need some advice. I've done the obligatory searches for "tires" etc. and not come up with much that satisfied my needs. I've got a 98 Shadow 1100 ACE that I was just gifted money for tires. I was looking at a set of above mentioned Avon's on Bike Bandit. They don't have the correct size for the front but they do have a 130/70/18. Do you think that would be too far out from the stock size that it would badly affect the ride? I've heard that you can go up a size in width on the back tire so long as you also go down a size on the sidewall. This looks to be two sizes down on the side wall, and it's on the front tire that I'm making the "adjustment" in tire size.

I'd really prefer a matched set of tires instead of mixing and matching. If anyone has any recommendations I'd be happy to take them. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I have tried a lot of tires and after a few experiments, went back to the recommended Dunlops. Honestly, with 50 years of changing tires here's my opinion: new ones are better than old. Matched sets are better than non matched. Motorcycle tires on a car are terrible and don't help cornering.

G.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Pirelli 66's. No issues whatsoever. Rear 15,000 mi. safe wear limit. Front 22,000 mi. with apprx. .100 tread left when I sold it. I tortured these tires with heavy loads. Those with 1100C/Spirits, the 180/70 helped the tall gear box tremendously! As far as Avon's, if can find some Cobra's go for it but new Cobra Diamond's, EXPENSIVE not that the old Cobra's aren't. Presently running Cobra' on the Valk but nothing last over 12,000 mi. on the rear as far as MC tires are concerned. Damn good handling and smooth as silk.

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
Since new tires will be ordered next month, I've recently gone through options that suit me.

Ran Avon Cobras (AV71/72) for my latest set of tires and loved them. Would definitely get another set if they were available from a preferred source. The Cobra Chromes (AV91/92) would definitely be a consideration if they came in the "right" size.

Metzeler ME880s were, in my experience, equal to the Avons. Would have stuck with them if they had remained available in the "right" sizes. Don't know what's available now because I gave up on Metzeler when they went chasing after the Hardly market with ME888s. (A terrible tire for our "lightweight" 600 lb bikes. Too hard = too slick.)

Pirelli Night Dragon proved a capable rear, comparable to ME880 and well paired with one up front. But not long-lasting, only 13k miles. (Got 18k out of ME880s and Avon Cobras.) Based on that experience, Pirelli 66's are probably a good option. Night Dragon supposedly offered better handling for more aggressive riding but that was likely marketing hype to justify the higher price.

Unless something unexpected shows up when it's time to order, I'll be going with Dunlop Elite 4s. Endorsed by another forum member who lives near my favorite/frequent riding areas (Appalachian Mountains) with a '98 VT1100C2. Definitely better tires than OE stock (K177 & K555) which were decent. (i.e. Okay but not good enough.)

To put my feedback in perspective:
o About a third of my riding is in the mountains, a third getting there and a third getting home. That defines most of the recent 60k (of the 90+k total) miles on my bike. Tires are judged by how well they do in the mountains -- where I ride aggressively FOR A CRUISER but never contemplate dragging a knee. Rain does NOT slow me much, tires permitting.
o Dunlop D404s are cheap junk that will NEVER again be mounted on a bike I own.
o Matched sets are preferred but not mandatory since I started changing my own. (Fronts last longer than rears.) This did NOT prove true with Cobras or D404s.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had grip problems with the Metzeler (what a nightmare) and I got a pair of the all new Cobra Chrome by Avon. Good grip on all surfaces, much better handling, cornering is way better. The Cobra Chrome came out by the end of 2018 or so, they have two differend rubber compounds. I was really fed up with the metzeler and after one year with the Avon Chrome, I can't complain at all. And they were not expensive, too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the problems (humid, wet, dry surface) with the me880, front and rear, and almost lost joy of biking; some like them, I don't...

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
I had the problems (humid, wet, dry surface) with the me880, front and rear, and almost lost joy of biking; some like them, I don't...
ME880s were VERY different at low PSI. Pressures posted on the driveshaft were too low. Came across some info from Metzeler (before I bought them) that had me running mine high. Worked great on all surfaces & conditions (snow and ice excluded) for me.
Never could find a good PSI on the ME888s. Knowing they were made of harder compounds, started at swingarm pressures and worked down. When the rear end started getting squirrely riding straight, I swapped out. Probably had 5k (or more) miles left but, as you said, lost the joy of biking.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Another brand I've had good luck with is Bridgestone Exedra's which are Valkyrie stock tires. Have a set Exedra Max on the Vulcan with about 500 mi. on them but never had them in any adverse conditions other than cooler temps (55 degree) with no issues but I'm far from knee dragger.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welp, I pulled the trigger on the Avon V91/92. I got them through cycle gear with the President's day sale. They were pricey but quality doesn't come cheap.
I also picked up some balancing slime instead of the beads. I'm not sure about it and want to read up on it. I can return it if I decide not to use it.
I'll try to remember to keep everyone posted. I'm sure it'll be MILES better than what I've got on there now. I have an ME880 on the front and a (gasp) Shinko on the rear ( bought it like that). They are showing their age.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Oh no, I have Shinko Tourmaster 230 V-rated. These are rated for a much heavier bike at higher speeds than my 2002 Spirit 1100 can go. I figured they should last a while and I have had no grip issues in any conditions except for coming off of a dry sand driveway onto asphalt. I have had them 2 years and they still look new. I had a Pirelli on a Yamaha crack horizontally across the treads and had delamination of the rubber. I wasn't impressed by a tire defect that I had to pitch with low miles. I already had it over 1 year so Pirelli wasn't concerned.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welp, I pulled the trigger on the Avon V91/92. I got them through cycle gear with the President's day sale. They were pricey but quality doesn't come cheap.
I also picked up some balancing slime instead of the beads. I'm not sure about it and want to read up on it. I can return it if I decide not to use it.
I'll try to remember to keep everyone posted. I'm sure it'll be MILES better than what I've got on there now. I have an ME880 on the front and a (gasp) Shinko on the rear ( bought it like that). They are showing their age. View attachment 284918
Forgot to mention that they didn't carry 120/90-r18 for the front so I went with a 130/80 instead. I also decided to go up a size in the rear too. I don't expect any adverse handling but will let you know.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Forgot to mention that they didn't carry 120/90-r18 for the front so I went with a 130/80 instead. I also decided to go up a size in the rear too. I don't expect any adverse handling but will let you know.

Assuming that you are riding a late model VT1100 of some sort, the stock tire is a 170/80-15 on the rear which is the largest tire diameter you can get. This thread did start out about VT1100C3? Just saying that a 180 or 200 tires are smaller in diameter thus lowering one's final gearing output. Going to a 130/80 will slightly increase your speedo error but this 18" tire syndrome is common if one wants a better tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts