Honda Shadow Forums banner

Opinions on Dynabeads

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Les 
#1 ·
Looks like it's about time to consider replacing the rear tire, not because it's worn out but it is beginning to show cracking in the tread grooves. Can't complain since the bike is an '06 and the tire was made in '04.

Simply wanting opinions from actual users of Dynabeads and how they like/dislike them. Really would like to get rid of the ugly lead weights clamped around the spokes...

#3 ·
Using beads for 2 years now, no complaints at all. Next go round o may try Ride on like Endy did. Beads have kept my tires in great shape the last 2 years, they have 14k on them and look like they will go well over 20k.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
Been using them for 5+ years / 25,000+ miles. (Don't have the actual numbers handy.) They work. I had the opportunity to test that with a rear tire that wasn't fully seated on the rim. The beads DEFINITELY improved the situation just about where the maker claims they start working, around 35 MPH. (Again, I don't have the exact number and I'm too lazy to look it up.) Couldn't possibly offset the poorly-mounted tire but they made a significant difference.

Prior to that tire problem, I was testing them with positive results but no conclusive data. After all, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I could have magically acquired tires that had just enough off-balance in just the right spots to counteract whatever was going on with my wheels, right?

Anyway, I'm a firm believer now. What I like best is that they "adjust" as the tires wear, something that's impossible for weights mounted on the rim or spokes.

#7 · (Edited)
Sticky weights or spoke weights are just so unsightly. And they can fly off...
What I've found is that service people often don't always remove the old weights when they install new tires -- not that I pay someone to change my tires anymore. Has me wondering just what they think they're balancing. Or if I'd even need new weights if the old ones were removed.

#8 · (Edited)
firehawk. I have Dynabeads in both of Ida's tires. There is no human mistake in correctly balancing a tire. The ride is as smooth a the road surface you are on. Adlowe says it best in his last sentence. They can also be reused when the time comes. In my opinion that was the best $40.00 I have spent on IDA.

I wish I had known you were interested in Dynabeads. I would have let you take Ida for a spin at Moonshine.

Watch the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

#9 ·
I use them in both tires... they cured a nasty wheel balancing issue that the shop was having trouble curing. I now do my own tire installs... true up the rims, check static balance and install DynaBeads. They have provided a smooth ride and much better tire wear....
YMV
Jim

#11 ·
I didn't realize these could be used with tubed tires. I just looked it up and read that you can indeed use them in tubed tires. I hope I wont need new tires for a few more years but all this is good information to know.

#16 ·
One thing to help with install.
I used an engraver to vibrate the valve stem while putting beads in the rires. The front has a straight stem, no biggie, they flowed easily, the back has a right angle one that took a little more help, that's where the engraver vibrating it helped. I know people that just tap on the stem and they go easily. I've heard of people using other things that vibrate too, ain't going there tho.
They are worth the money, time and small amount of effort it takes to get them in.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#17 · (Edited)
I've heard of people using other things that vibrate too, ain't going there tho.
:mrgreen:

They are worth the money, time and small amount of effort it takes to get them in.
I use a foot-or-so-long piece of clear tubing from the local hardware store. I pour the beads in then "push" the clog through with compressed air. If I manage a light touch they line up and flow in very orderly. That's not usually how it goes. Yes, a few pop back into the tubing when I relax the air pressure. Eventually it will be few enough that they fall back into the tire (It's a tube on my bike.) without issue. Maybe it takes 15 minutes. Doesn't seem to be that long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.