Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title sums it up.
I'm looking at a new bike, probably end-of-summer or fall.

One of the bikes on the short list at this time is the VTX 1300.

I like the front fender of the 1300C, my wife likes the rear fender and the wheels on the 1300R.
Hmm, wonder if you can buy a front fender for the C and put it on the R?

Anyway, I'm looking for any and all opinions you may have about the VTX 1300.

Other bikes in the same class I think are the Yamaha Warrior and the Kaw Mean Streak.
But, of all of those, I like the looks (and price) of the VTX.

Thanks in advance!
:D
-Kris

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
It's a carbureted, single-pin, mechanically-adjusted-valve cruiser that drags parts on every turn and isn't any more powerful (net) than the 1100 that it's supposed to replace.

In short: 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

It's a *******ization of everything that *could* have been good about the next evolutionary step from Honda. Buy a Star or one of the Vulcans instead. You'll get a better bike.

On the upside, it's drop-dead gorgeous, but that's it's only real positive point.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, :shock: , not exactly a glowing review.

Anyone have anything good to say about it?
-K

·
Registered
119 Posts
I do. It's a sweet bike no doubt. although I dont have one ( Spirit 1100 here) I have ridden the VTX alot and all I can say is it is an awesome bike! Tons of torque, very well balanced, great looks, lots of aftermarket accessories available, single pin gives that killa sound with pipes and is a great touring bike. I'd have NO problems owning one. I say go for it! 8)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I can give you a different opinion. I love mine! I have an R model. Another friend has one and neither of us have had any problems.

I can't compare it to other models. I haven't ridden them.

One thing - If your wife is going to ride with you, the C has a really small passenger seat.

Good luck,

Beck

·
Registered
46 Posts
OK, first off, yes the C front fender will fit an R or vice versa.

Tons of torque. Runs solid way past the century mark. Don't worry about the stock seat issue. You can buy an 1800 seat and have http://www.meancitycycles.com/ mod it to make it more comfortable and to fit your 1300 for far less than an aftermarket seat. The dragging parts comment is rather silly. I've dragged the pegs on a couple occasions, and it ain't a problem. But you have to get pretty aggresive to make them touch, and once they do, you still have another 7-10 degrees of lean left before you touch the peg mount to the ground. R/S models come with boards, and the C comes with pegs. If you buy a C but want the boards, they are interchangeable. Check out www.vtxoa.com for more info on them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't get me wrong chornbe, I value both good and bad reviews of this bike.
So, thank you for your p.o.v..

I'm curious about the balance, how low to the ground does it feel, etc.

Currently have an '84 700, which is a light bike, but fairly tall.
So, I'm thinking I can handle a heavier, lower bike.

They sure are sweet to look at, keep the comments coming!
Thanks, -Kris

·
Registered
46 Posts
Kframe said:

I'm curious about the balance, how low to the ground does it feel, etc.

Currently have an '84 700, which is a light bike, but fairly tall.
So, I'm thinking I can handle a heavier, lower bike.

They sure are sweet to look at, keep the comments coming!
Thanks, -Kris
It does have a lower stance than the 84 700. The C model seems to feel lower than the R, but I don't think it actually is lower. The weight difference is definitely noticeable, but not heavy. Having the seat modded as I mentioned above will bring you lower so that you feel more "in" than "on top of" the bike. There is an unreal amount of aftermarket goodies available for them ranging from comfort to bling. I personally prefer doing the valve adjustments rather than hydraulic valves (that's just me). The one thing I think the 1300 could benefit from would be FI. Other than that, I have not had any problems or complaints with my C model. Oh, the engine doesn't set below the frame like on the Shadow, so you can put it on a lift or a stand without any crazy adapters. And as far as the Stars go, I have heard you have to remove the exhaust every time you do an oil change. I'm not sure what models this applies to, but I remember it being discussed. Fuel mileage varies due to riding styles, but I have gotten as high as 49mpg, and as low as 39mpg depending on season, terrain, and mood. What you really need to do is go take one for a ride. You should know very quickly if it is the bike for you.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Kframe said:
That's why we love America. No one (usually) gets shot while blindfolded for differing opinions :)

Don't get me wrong, the bike ran and handled fine, felt well made, and the brakes are top notch. But to be the "next step up" from the Shadows, it falls short. There are dozens of other models of bikes from other manufactures ( and a couple from Honda) that are better bang for the buck and have greater capabilities in some areas.

If Honda wanted to make *the* cruiser for the next generation, it wouldn't have been that hard Take the VTX design team and add these constraints to their mission:

Sabre/Spirit-like ground clearance (ie - different frame)
FUEL INJECTION on all models!
Smooth out the engine with a dual pin crank.
And in the name of all that doesn't suck, lose the mechanical valve adjusters.

It's not a "bad" bike - it was poorly conceived to be "the next big thing", and the MSRP price point is insulting. I guess that's why they're sitting on dealers' floors for $7500 - $8500

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Kframe,
When it comes to upgrading from my 1100 Shadow to a 1300 VTX, I don't think it would be much of an upgrade in performance, because of the power to weight ratio. Reading the reviews makes me come to the conclusion that the increase in power only makes up for the weight of the machine, so there would be nothing to gain. The only difference is the looks and I have that aleady (personal preference)
Another plus with the 1100 Shadow is it would be wiser/cheaper in the long run, because of the availability, cost and maintenance. The 1300 will cost more, is heavier, needs valve adjustments periodically (no biggie)
The 1100 is easy to handle, cheaper (lots and lots of used ones out there) pretty much maintenance free (fluid changes mostly) comfortable on long trips and the list of accessories is a mile long. The 1300 hasn't proven itself yet (in my book) and the 1100, as we all know, is bullet proof.
The 1300 may just be a great bike, don't get me wrong (hey, it's a Honda!!) but if you want to go with a bike that's tried and true, you won't go wrong with the VT1100 Shadow.
I do like the sound of the 1300 however with that single-pin crank! >PD<

·
Registered
49 Posts
Kframe said:
Other bikes in the same class I think are the Yamaha Warrior and the Kaw Mean Streak.
But, of all of those, I like the looks (and price) of the VTX.

Thanks in advance!
:D
-Kris

That's comparing apples to oranges. Different breeds of machine there. The 1800 VTX would be in the same class as those ya mentioned.

Having said that, it was the 1300 S (retro with spokes) that got me back on a V-twin after a 25 year hiatus. I got hooked on the in-line 4 engines a long time ago and put an indecently high number of miles on 'em.

But, the 1300 retro has a solid fan now. Always enjoyed riding but every single time I take my X on the road I fall in love again. I'm just plain hooked.

Did have to make a few changes, tho. The stock seat had to go. Did a loooong run that almost crippled me. Got an Ultimate lowrider seat and 4 inch Aeromach risers and took care of that problem. Can go all weekend in comfort now.
The 1300 takes well to modifications to the carb and the exhaust. The best carb mods I've found would be Scar's mod and a K&N filter. The folks that run out and buy jet kits don't realize what's already in the carb. Its there, ya just gotta tweak a lil bit and Scar has it nailed down good.

For the exhaust, there's a whole bunch of after market choices, plus the option of the Clayton mod on the stock cans. I've played with variations of the Clayton mod, you can actually create a whole range of sound. Right now I have a set of Roadhouse slip-ons that I use when I wanna raise hell and a set of modified stockers for the rest of the time. Both have excellent sound.

As far as scraping my floorboards, yep, real easy to do. The bike handles better than the design of all the goodies hanging off of it. I've managed to scrape the pegs on almost all of my bikes, so, this isn't a problem to me. Kinda normal.

As far as seat height, I've got me a woman that's 5 foot tall.She rides an Aero 750.She claims that my X is easier to pull off of the stand than her Aero and she can flat foot the ground when she's on it. Also on this topic, the Wench has a short friend who rides a 1200 Sporty who is amazed at how well balanced and easy handling the X is. She wants an X now, but, her ol' man is all Harley and won't agree no how no way.
Me, I'm a 6 footer and the bike fits me just perfect.

The only drawback that I can really find is the gas mileage. A lot of folks claim 40 mpg or better. I'm on my second Retro and both have pulled 31-32 mpg . Better mileage would be a nice thing but considering how much this thing actually weighs I guess its just the nature of the beast.

As far as performance comparisons, experience has let me eat a lotta bikes that are supposed to be hotter than the X. There's bikes out there that should be faster than my X but I think the rider makes a big difference. I will say that at last years Honda Homecoming Light Parade I think that Big Al's Shadow had an edge over my X. I think he's done some tweaking on his bike.

Just as an extra comment, the X can turn tighter than the ol'lady's Aero. That makes a big difference in them tight spots.

I've rambled on enough. Can easily ramble a lot more on this topic. I've owned faster. I've owned better mileage but nuthin compares to the pure pleasure I get outa my X.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm with chornbe on this one. The VTX 1300 strikes me as a bland also ran. Also, the carburetor on a NEW bike in '07 is a deal breaker for me. Just my opinion, of course.

New bikes in this category? I'd be looking at the 1300 Star, or even the Vulcan 900.

On a side note, the above mentioned 'removing the exhaust for an oil filter change' is true, but only on the VStar 1100. The first time you do an oil change, the exhaust must be removed and an oil filter relocation mod installed. A colossal oversite. Shame on you for that one, Yamaha.

As for this:
I don't know much about the Mean Streak (other than the fact that it has a cool name), but the Warrior is definitely not in the same class, or even the same category as the VTX 1300. The Warrior is a 1700cc fuel injected muscle cruiser. The price point is quite a bit different, at $12,700 MSRP. They're great bikes and they have a huge following, and an equally huge aftermarket. However, if your intention is to ride two up with the wife, I don't think the Warrior is particularly suited.

Regards. -Jay

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great range of information, thanks everyone!

So, the 1300 is dropping down the list, but dang, that sucks cause I really like the headlight.

Anyway, I've got some more thinking to do.

Oh, I guess I was thinking that the 1800 and the Warrior are closer to each other.

-K

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am not sure if you are looking to buy something new or used. I'd go with a Aero 1100. When done up they are absolutely gorgeous looking rides. Check out the members gallery at Cruiser Customizing:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/memberlist.cfm?model_ID=5

Specifically thes bikes:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/memberdetail.cfm?user_ID=758415

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/memberdetail.cfm?user_ID=87957

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/memberdetail.cfm?user_ID=411

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/memberdetail.cfm?user_ID=1049159

·
Registered
206 Posts
I will have to admit the VTX1300 may not suit everyone but after owning an AERO 750 and going to the 1300 R I have been thouroghly pleased and satisfied. As far as some of the maintenance issues with valves and such I do my own work so it is not a problem for me. Yes I get lots of compliments on the looks and I love mine. I always suggest to anyone considering ANY bike, Try it before you buy it (if you can).
Mine has performed extremely well and I plan on keeping till I'm rich and can afford a street glide hog!
Good luck with your search and remember to please yourself not others!
And by all means check out the VTXOA site there is lot of info there on all X's................Robert

·
Registered
533 Posts
:D :lol: I agree with what Wren has said about the vtx and others here I just bought a vtx this month and I realy like it just took it for a 130 mile ride and I like how it handles.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again, thanks to all for every point of view!

One thing is for sure, I'll have to try to test ride the 1300 (my eye doctor has one, so maybe I can twist his arm) and an 1100 as well.

Hmmm, I wonder if the VTX headlight could be fitted onto an 1100?
I know it's silly, but one of the biggest attractions of the VTX for me is that bada$$ looking eyeball!

Due to financial reasons, I won't be making any new bike purchase 'til the end of the season; that's frustrating, but it also will give me time to really decide what I want - instead of falling in lust with a specific model and then ending up with buyer's remorse due to a rash decision.

-Kris

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm in the same boat with looking to upgrade in '07 ... and having done the same research of opinions and data, I have to agree with people here who advise against the 1300 VTX...

My comparisons led me to consider the V-Star 1300 from Star Motorcycles over the VTX 1300.

Winning points (for me) are:

1. Fuel Injection

2. Belt Drive

3. better standard features/ground clearance

4. Instrument package on bars rather than tank.

5. Radiator is nearly invisible in frame, oil filter is readily accessible but hidden as well.

The V-Star 1300 is all new for 2007, has newer technology, and better ground clearance even with the standard floorboards. According to what I have read, it can lean much further than a VTX 1300. The headlight on the V-Star 1300 is also growing on me...

If you are buying a new 2007 VTX... I would consider looking at the V-Star 1300... If you are buying a used of leftover earlier model VTX 1300 you should be able to get one for a steal. They are not bad bikes, they just don't have anything new on them. They are older technology in a pretty package.

I like my Honda, but I wish the new models would start incorporating newer technology like fuel injection etc. Honda is starting to miss the boat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are going to wait till after the riding season, I would wait for the dealer show in September before even looking. Honda will have a whole new years woth of bikes, and with the upcoming EPA regs, I would bet you are going to see some major changes in the lineup. This will probably be true for the other manufacturers as well.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts