Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy, here's another post from a newbie. my 14 aero has spoke wheels and tubeless tires that look to be the originals though i have newver heard that they came with maxxis tires which are what are on the machine. it only has 4,000 miles though it is ten years old. i wonder how dangerous these tires are though realize since you can't see them the reply will be pretty generic. also one this subject, i have heard that the drop centers can be sealed and the wheels used for tubeless tires. is this true and if so how do you do it?

lotsa miles and smiles to ya
ken

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Check the born date on the sidewall to be certain of the age of the tire/tires. Don't be surprised if those really are the original tires on the bike. I got my bike last August the 11th and only looked at the tread on the tires and I thought all was good. Until a friend looked at the date code and discovered that I was riding on tires made during the spring of 2005. It could just be me but I'm not going to trust tires that old on anything. JMHO
Keith

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
This doesn't make any sense. There is no way Honda will put 10 year old tires on a 2014 model bike.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Not only that, there has to be a tube.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
howdy, yup, sorry, I had the nervous finger syndrome. it is indeed an '04 and only has 4,000 miles so has been stored for a lot of it's existence. most of the dings on it are quite obviously storage dings. those are little scratches or rub marks.. the one major dent is in the tank and I was told it was from falling over while being loaded in a pick-up for transport from florida.

lotsa miles and smiles to ya
ken

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I had 10 year old tires on mine when I purchased (2001 Honda Shadow Ace). Tires looked new, but surface had gotten hard after 10 years.

I changed to new tires "Michalins", wow night and day difference feels like a complete bike, tighter turns, feel glued to the road.

If you can I'd change tires, you will feel a big difference.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
In that case, even though the tires say tubeless, there are tubes. I don't care how new the tires look or how few miles they have on them, as a rule of thumb, I will never keep tires that are more than 5 years old from the date of manufacture on my bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
howdy, I suppose there is a thread that shows how to read the codes. I've not seen any indication the maxxis came as new on the Honda from the factory.

lotsa miles and smiles to ye
ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts