Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a friend that just spent a bundle on putting green LEDs on his bike. I think that they are illegal to have on while traveling down the roads, can some one give me the correct answer??? We live in Pennsylvania...

Thanks,

Daron

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Here you can't have red, blue or anything flashing, other than a headlight modulator while on the road. Other colors, amber or green than are on constant are ok.

But it's almost never enforced, look at all the hot rods with blue and red neon under the wheel well or body.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I just bought some for mine in amber.

Here in Georgia, they are legal to be on while traveling as long
as they are not red or blue and no color is allowed to be flashing, unless
used as a turn signal.

Every state will be a little different in their laws...

I'd suggest calling a state patrol office or the state attorney generals office
to find out specifically what is and is not allowed.
They should be able to give you a "code title" section number that
spells it out (the way it's written in the uniform traffic code).

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
My buddy got pulled over here in FL for running with his LED's on. They were Red and the State Trooper told him you can run with LED's, but they cannot be red or blue in color.

Chris

·
Registered
61 Posts
now are these lights in plain veiw or just the glow ? I've wondered this myself as I have a blue bike I put blue LEDS up under the gas tank so they shine on the motor you can't see the light and basically just makes the chrome glow never been stopped yet but I also don't do much night driving

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Daron said:
Hello,

I have a friend that just spent a bundle on putting green LEDs on his bike. I think that they are illegal to have on while traveling down the roads, can some one give me the correct answer??? We live in Pennsylvania...

Thanks,

Daron
You're right. I personally wouldn't worry about it (the same section dictates that I have red reflectors to the rear and no blue dot in my tailight - but no one has ever cared) but here's the statute:

67 Pa Code sec 175.146

(h) Ornamental lamps. A lamp not enumerated in this section, and not located as described in Tables III—V of this chapter, is prohibited unless it is available as original equipment. An illuminated sign is prohibited. Flashing or revolving lights are not ornamental lamps. Provisions relating to flashing or revolving lights are located in Chapters 15 and 173 (relating to authorized vehicles and special operating privileges; and flashing or revolving lights on emergency and authorized vehicles).
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/067_0175.pdf

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've got Blue underglow on mine, The whole bike lights up, but I'm not allowed to drive with them on, Red and Blue are only allowed to be on when parked. However I drive with them on when I'm out in the country anyways (not many cops out there) and turn them off once I get into a more populated area.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
blueshadow05 said:
now are these lights in plain veiw or just the glow ? I've wondered this myself as I have a blue bike I put blue LEDS up under the gas tank so they shine on the motor you can't see the light and basically just makes the chrome glow never been stopped yet but I also don't do much night driving
Here, as I would imagine in most places, it doesn't matter if it's in plain
view or reflected.
If it's emitting a blue or red light, it's illegal, reflected or line of sight.

When an officer sees you with them on, I think a lot of it is going to depend
on the officer.
Some might write you up... others might let it fly.

Even though illegal, a softer less "stand out" light
is probably going to attract less attention.

·
Registered
43 Posts
in 05 or 06 the PA house passed a bill that allows motorcycles to add led lights and blue dots for saftey. i have not found out if there are colors you can not use or if they can flash. look up PA HB 901 act50 and it will bring you to the law change if i find out more i will post it.

firemedic

·
Registered
204 Posts
firemedic said:
in 05 or 06 the PA house passed a bill that allows motorcycles to add led lights and blue dots for saftey. i have not found out if there are colors you can not use or if they can flash. look up PA HB 901 act50 and it will bring you to the law change if i find out more i will post it.

firemedic
Nice. I was hesitant to put LEDs on the bike .... but now im gonna get those purple ones for under the tank i've been eyeing up :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
i got the seven color lizard lights and the cover for my hypercharger now if i could just make sure that it is legal to use on the street. i know the bill passed but it takes a while to make changes to the police where i live

firemedic

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
firemedic said:

firemedic
that's really cool- evidently it passed in June 06. Here's the bill:
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS...d=0&billBody=H&billTyp=B&billNbr=0901&pn=3978
interesting that they crossed out lighted valve stems. Now I can stop switching out my blue dot for inspection!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Dupo said:
So, if its crossed out its illegal? Even the actual law in black n white is confusing lol. If crossed out = illegal, why even put it in there.
No, it just shows the legislative process. Orginially the bill was submitted by its author with no cross-outs etc. Then when it went to comittee, other folks decided they didn't want strobes, colored valve caps, etc in the bill so they crossed them out. In its final published form, it would just have the language that wasn't crossed out.

I'm high on cold meds, so I don't know if that made any sense.

It is still confusing though. I'm assuming "blue dot illumination" means blue dots in taillights, but without a definition, who knows

*EDIT* here's how the final version reads as it was published in the Purdon's statute book:

Auxiliary lighting may be added to a motorcycle to protect the driver, including blue dot illumination, standard bulb running lights and light-emitting diode (LED) pods and strips.

75 Pa. S.C.A. 4310

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
and of course to make it more complicated, you might notice the documents actually conflict.

That new LED/blue dot provision is in the Pa statutes while the prohibition of ornamental lighting that I posted earlier is in the PA Code.

The statutes are from the legislative branch (house and senate) and the Code has directives from the executive branch (state agencies given rule making power via statutes). A statute should trump a rule, but go ahead and try to explain it all to a cop or inspection guy.

There's your boring legal lesson of the day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From the mouth of Johnny Law Himself.

I have heard a lot of stories from people about riding with your LED's on. So the same night after I installed mine (green) I was on my way home and saw a cop shooting a radar gun. I decided to find out from the man what the real deal was. So I busted a U-ey and went to ask him. I showed him the lights and asked if they would be ok to drive with. He explaned to me that (in Florida, as with almost all states) it is illegal to ride with any color LED. But that it is an unspoken rule between law enforcement to not pull anyone over for lights unless Red, Blue, and Yellow; because these lights are for emergency vehicles only. And that no color can be flashing. He said that they all agree that for those of us on two wheels we need the help being seen. But he did mention that if you get pulled for something else, you will also get ticketed for the lights.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ok i have talked with my state rep and he has told me that led lights on a bike are legal any color as long as they do not flash i have used mine on white and blue and green and have not yet had a problem so most of the cops in my area know of the change in the rule.

firemedic

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.