Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a metal detector, and i love fishing. hiking too. it seems that with those activities i could be away from my bike for long periods, when it is parked on the side of a seldom travelled dirt road.

anybody else deal with this and have any suggestions? using my car seems safer since i can just lock it up, but it's different with a bike. in my many travels along secluded dirt roads, i don't remember ever seeing a bike just sitting unattended. what would other peple think? would it look suspicious? would hooligans mess with it? should i just take my car? why does a motorcycle seem more vulnerable than a car?

thanks-
barrett

· Registered
7 Posts
With the way some people are in this world today, there would be no way I would leave my bike on the side of the road unless I was sure I could see it and be close enough to it at ALL times,you jusy never know. :shock:

· Registered
4,689 Posts
Chain it to a solid object - make sure it is insured - People are NOT that bad, the media just reaches to every corner of the world and reports on every scumbag they can find. So it seems bad.

Here is how I look at ways a bike could get stolen or messed up.

Three specific types of thieves, The Pro bike stealer, the Opportunist, and the Idiot free-ride thief.

You are not going to stop a Pro bike stealer - except that you own a pretty good deterent, in a Honda Shadow....not really worth stealing, beside if a Pro wanted it bad enough he would steal it from your garage.

The Opportunist, and a couple buddies know areas where bikes can be found a look for an easy pinch they can throw in the back of a truck or van. Locking your bike to a solid object will probably be enough - besides, it's not worth that much anyway.

The idiot, will try to steal it to ride it, probably mess up the ignition and handlebar lock, and give up when they realize it's chained to a tree....not that many of these folks around, because they tend to off themselves doing the stupidist things.

Throw a cover over it, sometimes out of site is better and less likely to be 'tried out' by just plain idiots who want to sit on it or let their feeble minded offspring use it for a jungle-gym.

· Registered
387 Posts
On my ride Saturday we took a little detour up a road that turned into a dirt road after a bit, we ran into a truck coming down it and stopped to chat with him. It turned out that he was in the hills there with his metal detector looking for gold and even showed us some of the gold he found that day he was a cool guy.
However, I would not park my bike along the road even in the middle of nowhere because anyone driving by will be in a truck and temptation is too much for some people. If I had to use my bike to get there I would find a place to park it several hundred feet off any road put my cover on it and cover that in brush! If it is not seen no temptation. :roll: :wink: :lol: 8)

· Registered
87 Posts
AngryHatter said:
Lay a dum dum on the seat - nobody'll touch it.
I like that idea, would make someone think twice.

· Registered
105 Posts
I leave my bike all the time with the saddle bags on it sunglasses helmet gloves leather jacket just sitting on the seat ive never had anybody mess with anything i figure if there going to take it i might as well make it easy so they dont tear it up.

· Registered
3,522 Posts
Depends on where you are.

There are parking places along the App trail, and Linvelle Gorge trails that you can't leave an amored car paked without it getting torched, let alone bikes.

Then there are other trail heads I can leave the truck unlocked with my gear in the bed and no one touches it.

It's a highly localized thing.

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i forgot to mention that i'm a high school subsitute teacher, and my wife teaches there too. all i need is a disgruntled student to come across my bike in the woods with nobody around... it's always MY fault when they get detention or get suspended for something THEY did wrong!

· Registered
141 Posts
gremlin said:
i forgot to mention that i'm a high school subsitute teacher, and my wife teaches there too. all i need is a disgruntled student to come across my bike in the woods with nobody around... it's always MY fault when they get detention or get suspended for something THEY did wrong!
I think you were my teacher in high school!!

Actually, you couldn't be that old.

· Registered
7,922 Posts
gremlin said:
I would think that you ride would be a bonding point with the kids.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.