Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike insurance is going up to over $1600.00 .We have a short riding season up here in Canada. I like riding,but this is becomeing very expensive. It is a government run insurance with no other options.I don't think I can justify spending that kind of money.
My question goes out to everybody,is price no object for insurance costs? When does it become to much for you? Or will you ride no matter what cost.It keeps going up at least 10% a year. I might hang up my riding jacket,until a private insurer offers cheaper rates.
Just want to here your opinion's. Thanks

·
Registered
839 Posts
Man I thought my Insurince was High ! , I pay around $300/year for full coverage on my 2002 Honda Shadow spirit 750DC threw American family Insurance, is that a Canadan thing? and can you use american Insurance in Canada (if your a Canadan)?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
$169 a year here, through Safeco, if I choose to buy it. It's not required in WA state.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
insurance

My truck cost's me $1200.00 a year. My wifes 09 Toyota cost $2000.00
Bike insurance is a heavy gov't gouge,but we have no other options.My bike insured in the city would cost $800.00 more,but because I live in a rural are it is cheaper:shock:
I hate to quit riding but this is to much.:x

·
Registered
673 Posts
That is more than I pay for both bikes, jeep wrangler, dodge caliber and ford pickup for a year. Full coverage on all. Jeeezuz!

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Keep in mind my American friends that he is Canadian and therefore is stuck paying obscene insurance costs. Just the way it is.

That said I would not pay $1600 a year for insurance. My insurance is half that.

Even if we use a U.S. Insurance company we still won't get U.S. insurance prices.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My bike insurance is $1000/yr with 1,000,000 liability and no replacement.

my 2006 ford freestar van is now up to $4500/yr... all because of one accident... it was half that before the accident.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
360 Posts
$1600 for a bike? $4500 for a van with ONE accident?????:shock::shock::shock:

I know the US has some issues, but have y'all considered moving??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have a family member that lives in Minneopolis. He has 5 Harley's and he told me he insures them for the same amount that I pay.
He thinks were crazy living north of the border. I told him what's not to like $5.00/gallon gas, -30* temp. in the winter,mosquitoes that can carry away small dogs,ah it's not that bad

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So would majority of you pay over $1600.00 ? Or would you hang up your helmet?
I'm thinking I'll take the family on a winter holiday instead.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I just did my insurance and it was 138.66 for Full coverage on my 03 Shadow Spirit from Allstate.While I was there they dropped my standard policy on my 74 Bronco and wrote it as a Antique Policy so insted of having all my stuff on 1 Policy I now have 3 seperate ones and they saved me some Money in the Process.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Wow! That'll never happen here. :roll:

Insurance not required in Florida unless you are riding without a helmet. Right now, I don't carry any but I usually pay about $300 a year when I do have it.
Not all insurance is gov't run, only certain provinces. Ours in Ontario isn't gov't run but it's still way too ******* high.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I wouldn't stop riding, but I would stop buying insurance. It's not a question of not wanting to pay that(well some of it is). It's the fact that I can't afford to pay that.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, I am curious about something.

Is there some facet of life that you (Canadians) get for next to nothing compared to what we pay in the USA?

Like for example (I'm pulling this out of the air) Sure, their insurance costs are sky-high, but they only pay $x for (product or service)

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
My bike insurance is going up to over $1600.00 .We have a short riding season up here in Canada. I like riding,but this is becomeing very expensive. It is a government run insurance with no other options.I don't think I can justify spending that kind of money.
My question goes out to everybody,is price no object for insurance costs? When does it become to much for you? Or will you ride no matter what cost.It keeps going up at least 10% a year. I might hang up my riding jacket,until a private insurer offers cheaper rates.
Just want to here your opinion's. Thanks
:shock: Just curious. Is that...US dollars? :shock:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts