Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many keep their bikes out in the weather all winter. I walk the dog every night and I walk by a house where there's a newer Honda Sabre stored outside 24/7. It sits in the driveway outside the garage in the open air. No cover. I have seen it covered with snow, and have seen it sitting out there in 100 degrees. My question is: Are these bikes made to withstand mother nature? In other words, how long before some of the bolts and nuts...spokes..rims all start to rust, and the seats..grips start to fade? I have always been able to find room for my bike out of the weather. I just can't imagine parking a newer bike right out in the elements.:-o Why not spend $25 for a cover at least?

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
I keep mine in a Hard Vinal Shed. Much better then just a cover. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
3 years and it will be crapmetal, rust, seats bad, rubbers shot.
Thats the people that didn't pay for their own bike. Like having a $90K Mercedes in a trailer park. No sense.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
I wouldn't own a bike if I didn't have proper storage for it. Some people have more money than sense. That's the same bike you'll see on C/L for top dollar when it's too big a piece of crap to suit the owners "standards".

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Yeah, there's a lady here locally who stores her Harley outside in the Arizona Sun.. "Lawn Art" I call it..

Anyway.. Every-time I pass by her house I want to cover that bike up.. Seen it covered in snow, leaves or just out baking in the heat..

Recently, I noticed, she took to covering her seat.. Probably started to the rot.. Not much can withstand the Arizona sun for too long - especially leather and vinyls..

Paint and coatings will likely follow next.. Then it's corrosion city..

I see this lady out riding every-once in awhile.. She wears a half-helmet fitted with big-ol'-cow horns.. You would think somebody who goes to such lengths to be halfway original when they ride would give half a damn about taking care of what they ride.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'm lucky I have room in the Basement for my bike, on cold nights I can hear it sigh with happiness because the po kept it outside under a open shed next to a dirt and gravel road. It was one of the last bikes I looked at before I bought one because of the amount of dirt and dust on the bike in the pictures on c/l.

Mark-B, its just my opinion but I've found over the years that folks that treat their belongings like the lady with the hd and the cow horns, usually those folks did not do anything to really "earn" whatever it is they have. Most young kids with their first cars, if they had to earn it they take care of it, if its given to them, most, not all, but most will treat the car like crap. JMHO

·
Registered
471 Posts
I agree with the point said about people who didn't "earn" their things as they may not take care of it as much.
It's unfortunate to hear that they just leave it out without anything, maybe she doesn't really know or understand? I don't know.
Too bad.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Mark-B, its just my opinion but I've found over the years that folks that treat their belongings like the lady with the hd and the cow horns, usually those folks did not do anything to really "earn" whatever it is they have. Most young kids with their first cars, if they had to earn it they take care of it, if its given to them, most, not all, but most will treat the car like crap. JMHO
Oh.. I have seen plenty of that.. Knew a few entitled kids myself.. One kid - his dad was all about appearances - Anyhoo.. This guy bought his kid a Brand-new Corvette.. The Kid Totaled it..

Dad brought him another Brand New Corvette.. Totaled that one too..

So, his Dad brought him a Brand New 40k Top-O-The-Line Full size pick-up, the kid took it out into the forest and had his friends throw rocks at it and beat the crap out of it with tree branches etc.. Completely trashed it..

Last I saw of that kid.. He was riding around in a brand new Corvette..

I say.. The Dad Deserves the kid, but in my opinion - the kid shouldn't have been inflicted with that kind of muppet as a father..

If it was my kid.. LOL.. :) .. Although I always wanted to buy my kid a brand new car - just because I could - I grew up with nothing and learned exactly the lesson you are referring too..

Gifted items don't usually have a blood-sweat-n'-tears value attached to them. And Learning that things of value need to be earned is an important lesson to learn. ;)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Oh.. I have seen plenty of that.. Knew a few entitled kids myself.. One kid - his dad was all about appearances - Anyhoo.. This guy bought his kid a Brand-new Corvette.. The Kid Totaled it..

Dad brought him another Brand New Corvette.. Totaled that one too..

So, his Dad brought him a Brand New 40k Top-O-The-Line Full size pick-up, the kid took it out into the forest and had his friends throw rocks at it and beat the crap out of it with tree branches etc.. Completely trashed it..

Last I saw of that kid.. He was riding around in a brand new Corvette..

I say.. The Dad Deserves the kid, but in my opinion - the kid shouldn't have been inflicted with that kind of muppet as a father..

If it was my kid.. LOL.. :) .. Although I always wanted to buy my kid a brand new car - just because I could - I grew up with nothing and learned exactly the lesson you are referring too..

Gifted items don't usually have a blood-sweat-n'-tears value attached to them. And Learning that things of value need to be earned is an important lesson to learn. ;)
^+++11
I learned all of that at the ripe old age of 16! That's why when my daughter turned 16 she got a 7 year old vw. It was a convertible but no way was she getting a new car. She did not treat the vw very well, (I also would not let her drive till she learned how to change the oil and change a flat, and I watched her do it, I was not having any of that "sigh, well I know how!" no I made her show me! but once she got out of college and had to start buying her own cars, hell she now treats them almost as well as I treat my bike! Lesson learned..

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've ( almost ) always kept/parked/stored my bikes outside for as long as I've owned them with nothing more than a cover. But they are ( almost ) always covered. Yes, $25 for a cover is the least I can do.

On the rare occasion I forget to cover one and it rains/snows/sleets/hails I'll dry the machine and cover it. Bike(s) ( almost ) always look new. ;-)

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
I've ( almost ) always kept/parked/stored my bikes outside for as long as I've owned them with nothing more than a cover. But they are ( almost ) always covered. Yes, $25 for a cover is the least I can do.

On the rare occasion I forget to cover one and it rains/snows/sleets/hails I'll dry the machine and cover it. Bike(s) ( almost ) always look new. ;-)
Yup, some people are forced for whatever reason to store outside. But judging by your pics and unless I miss my guess, you take good care of yours when the cover's off. I'm sure you've seen 'em too. Just a shame to have that little appreciation for a fine machine.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

Same here. Really, I don't have any other option.

I keep it covered, but if there is a sunny dry stretch of weather, I'll uncover it to make sure everything is clean and dry.
Sometimes when uncovered, an unexpected snow comes and I leave it uncovered until it melts away. There's no point in trapping any excess moisture in.

In other words, I treat it the same as I do in the summertime.

It's not a sugar cube: It won't melt if it's snowed on in the winter anymore than if it's rained on in the summer.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies. This guy doesn't do a whole lot of upkeep on his house either. To each his own I guess, but Jeez how long does it take to throw a cover over the bike!

·
Registered
18,127 Posts
I park Mine in the polebarn all year...
However I also ride all year long, so > storage is not an option or needed...
Two more bikes that don`t get regular use are there too...
Mud daubbers and spiders live in these...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree with the point said about people who didn't "earn" their things as they may not take care of it as much.
It's unfortunate to hear that they just leave it out without anything, maybe she doesn't really know or understand? I don't know.
Too bad.
I think more people "earn" thier toys then not, they buy crap to impress and then don't maintain. I see this in the boating set. I walk down the docks and see $100k+ boats that never leave the dock and are need repair. It breaks my heart but there is nothing I can do about it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Before I got the portable garage which is basically a big tent I would cover mine after it cooled down from the ride home. The few times I forgot I was mad because the next morning it was covered in dew. I'm lucky I get to keep mine inside at work during the day.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
My Yamaha and Kawasaki were always parked in a garage or shed for protection of the weather and vandals or thieves. This was the first year with the Shadow 1100 and I had to remove some bushes and other objects for a straighter approach to the shed's entrance since she doesn't respond as well at slow speeds. She spent this summer and fall parked in the driveway and covered when not on the road since I rode it to work most everyday. During the winter months she now resides in my shed and winterized.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's nearly as bad as People that keep their Dogs outside chained up 24/7 with no
decent place to get out of the Weather...
Bike Shops LOVE those kind of bike owners!
As far as the Dogs... there have been a few pet owners that have been upset when they come home to find no Dog, and a note stating;
"If you treat another Dog like this YOU might find yourself padlocked on that Chain in 100 degree Heat with no water"..... BTW the Dog is happy, loves Kids, and is an important LOVED part of Her new Family!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts