Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO NOT USE OVEN CLEANER ANYWHERE. The joker I bought the bike from used it on everything. It turns the alumimiun black and just keeps getting darker. One of the Omega reps I deal with convinced me, damage done try this, and gave me a bottle of Gentle Scrub. Use a terry cloth and rub it in. Rinse with water and polish with never dull. It have been almost aweek and all still looks clean. Alot of work but worth it. And so far happy with it. Thank you all who tried to help. Dusty

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, the lye oxidizes the metal, and somehow seems to surface harden it. I had a mini-bike that had aluminum or magnesium wheels on it, and I used Easy-OFF. I think if you leave it just for a minute or less, and rinse it, you can get away with it, but I'll never use it again. I sanded those wheels, and the oxidation was DEEP. I gave up and left the wheels like they were. They kinda looked pretty cool after a while, I thought.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Wait... he used oven cleaner... on aluminum....? AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHA AHAHAHAHAHA AHHAAHA AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA AHAAH

Ok... ok... sorry. That was out of line.

AHHAAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA AHAHAAHAHAHHAAH HAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH AHAAHA HAAHAHAHAHA

No... really. I'm done now.

Wow. I've done exactly one and only one bike restore where that happened, and I'll never, ever do it again. What a mess that makes. What gets in to these people?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Aero98 said:
i have heard you only want to use it on chrome pipes if you get something melted on it .
That indeed does work, but you want to be VERY careful to not get it on anything else because it will remove paint and ruin aluminum. It is however very effective at getting melted rubber and/or plastic off of chrome pipes. :oops:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Alright, ya'll know I have a little bit of my snow pants melted on my pipes from my "learning stage".... I now do not lean over so close when pumping gas.

Do you spray the stuff on while the pipes are hot or cold??

Does it really work???

·
Registered
209 Posts
cool96shadow said:
Paulie said:
trjam said:
the inside of most ovens are ceramic arent they.
The only people who know for sure are gone now.
I hope that was supposed to be a joke gone awry?
cool96shadow,

I can't think of any kind of a joke that deals with people and ovens. It was way too serious.

John

·
Registered
236 Posts
denisep said:
Alright, ya'll know I have a little bit of my snow pants melted on my pipes from my "learning stage".... I now do not lean over so close when pumping gas.

Do you spray the stuff on while the pipes are hot or cold??

Does it really work???
My experience... I am not recomending that anyone try this. I am sure that it is a bad Idea. I am sure that I am lucky that I was not turned into a kangaroo for doing it. ect. ect.

My wife let her pant leg of her rain gear get on the pipe. It melted. It was ugly. It would not come off with chrome cleaner & elbow grease. I read about someone on here who had use the oven cleaner.

I stuffed old bath towels behind the pipes to protect the tires, paint, ect. I sprayed easy-off on the pipe. I let it sit for about five minutes. I then wiped away the cleaner and the burnt rain suit with a sponge. I then cussed myself for not wearing gloves, oven cleaner hurts... I then rinsed the pipe off with water from the hose. I then cleaned the pipes with chrome cleaner and they looked like new. Years later no ill effects. I did however fail to cover a small spot on the frame behind the pipe. The black paint in an area the size of a quarter now has a milky grey color. It has still never chiped or flaked, but it is a reminder that it is important to cover EVERYTHING other than the pipes targeted.

Again, just my experience.

·
Registered
318 Posts
so i could black out my bike with oven cleaner? this could be a GOOD thing for some people!

mmmmm, black wheels to match the paint job.... i like that idea.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
So,

I had a strange pattern appear on my pipes and sent them back to cobra. They sent them back in perfect shape and when it happened again, before they gave me an RMA they said use easy off, “cold oven” formula only and do it while the pipes are cold. Make sure you never get overspray on any other surfaces. I can attest that it works great because my new body armor was touching my pipes and I didn’t know it, they look great. Easy off is now in my tool kit, however, I reiterate, cold oven formula, cold pipes and make sure you do not hit any other then chrome surfaces. By the way, I had to leave it on for 24 hour to do the best job as per cobras instructions.

The best metal polish I have found for the other alloys on the bike is autosol (www.autosol.com) . I swear by it.

Cheers
dragoon

·
Registered
225 Posts
Paulie said:
trjam said:
i'm sure paulie meant that in our current age of un-enlightenment, a significant portion of the population does not know what the inside of an oven is coated with. nor do they really even care.

whereas 50 years ago, any old timer could tell you what it was, where it was made, how you could fix a chip in it, and what you could use it for when you got a newer oven.

I seriously doubt he was alluding to suicides or the holocaust.

·
Registered
75 Posts
GREMLIN: Oven cleaner will not "Black out" your aluminum rims, or any other aluminum. It will only turn it a murky dark grey. I'd reccomend taking your aluminum rims and other peices that you want to flat black, and have them bead-blasted (cover any machined surfaces, and remove bearings, etc.) and then get a good can of Rustoleum BBQ/stove Black. It's very durable, and has alot more sealer in it to protect it from the elements. I call Rustoleum paints the "Poor Man's powdercoat."

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not an old-timer, but the inside of most ovens is ceramic-coated, and you can get some sort of enamelizing stuff from a small local hardware to repair a chip in it. Now, a small local hardware that actually can help you with this sort of request? That's an endangered species. I can't tell you how much my small local hardware has saved me time, money, and aggravation. Lowes and Home Despot, it's a rare day when you find someone who has the time to help you, with odd requests.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Olivereaman said:
cool96shadow said:
Paulie said:
trjam said:
I hope that was supposed to be a joke gone awry?
cool96shadow,

I can't think of any kind of a joke that deals with people and ovens. It was way too serious.

John
I was attempting to leave the door open for an explanation/apology.

No, it is not a subject to joke about!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.