Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK fan isn't coming on and thanks to NJ traffic the thing needs to be... It looks like the fan always has juice the the temp switch grounds it out to operate... is there an easy way to test whether switch is bad, fan is bad or both? I already tested fuze with a meter...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Jump the two wires. If the fan goes on it tells you is there is continuity to the switch, the fan works and you can assume overheating in traffic indicates failed temp sensor switch. You can put a toggle on it and manually turn it on as a permanent or temporary repair.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do I jump the wires? The juice goes into fan and comes out hardwired (no connector) and right to the switch... If I pull wire off temp sensor switch and ground the fan should kick over right?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
How do I jump the wires? The juice goes into fan and comes out hardwired (no connector) and right to the switch... If I pull wire off temp sensor switch and ground the fan should kick over right?
All the sensors I have seen have two metal connector tangs to an internal snap disc that completes the circuit. If you have two hard wires, partially strip and jump across them to test for an inop switch.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the sensors I have seen have two metal connector tangs to an internal snap disc that completes the circuit. If you have two hard wires, partially strip and jump across them to test for an inop switch.

Thanks will do tonight... I am pretty sure I can get to connector pretty easily. Tmep Sensor switch has one lead going to it. I am thinking Honda uses the threading to ground to the chasis through the radiator and complete circuit to save copper. But with that reasoning if I ground the lead to the sensor switch it should pull current through the fan... We shall see.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thanks will do tonight... I am pretty sure I can get to connector pretty easily. Tmep Sensor switch has one lead going to it. I am thinking Honda uses the threading to ground to the chasis through the radiator and complete circuit to save copper. But with that reasoning if I ground the lead to the sensor switch it should pull current through the fan... We shall see.
Looked up the diagram and you are correct. The plug ground goes to a strap ground and there is a single wire from your sensor meaning the snap disc completes the ground thru the shell.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Touch wire that goes from the fan to the temp switch to ground, fan should start.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK jumped out the heat sensor and the fan came right on... thanks for all the help... now the big question... The bike was a 40th bday gift and they bought 5 year warranty... do I bring this back to the dealer lose it for a few days and hope they did it right or just eat the $50 and do it myself?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.