Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a similar thread was recently started, but I can't seem to find it, so here goes.

My 2005 VLX overheated yesterday. I bought it with 347 miles and it now has about 1600 on it. As soon as I got it home in November I changed the fluids, including the coolant, and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble.

Yesterday, after a 30-mile ride, I pulled into my shed and noticed that the temp light was on and coolant was leaking out of the overflow tube. I waited until it cooled, removed the radiator cap, and saw that the radiator was full. However, at the same time, it looks like the recovery tank is also very full (actually, overfilled). I haven't needed to add any coolant since I changed it months ago, and it was at the correct level all this time (at least until yesterday). It was hot (about 92 degrees) yesterday, and I don't remember hearing he fan come on, but it usually doesn't. I'm kind of hoping that the restricted air flow when I pulled into my shed (fairly small and stuffy) may be the reason it overheated, but I don't really believe this.

I'm not sure where to begin, to minimize wasted time and $$$. I'm thinking the thermostat may not be opening, which could cause a blockage and back up of coolant in the recovery tank? Not sure what could be next if it's not this. The radiator is clean, and there doesn't seem to be any obvious obstruction. Not sure how to check to see if the fan is working - is it a simple jumper across terminals, or are there directions online somewhere?

BTW, when I changed the coolant in the Fall it was absolutely clean - no crud, gunk, brown stuff, or anything other than coolant. I changed it (using the correct, non-silicate formula) when I bought the bike just because I like keeping up to date on these things (all right, I confess I just like to work on my bike and cars) and because the cooling capacity probably degraded after several years of storage (it was a repo). Otherwise, the bike has given me no trouble whatsoever.

Any suggestions about how to proceed (in order, if possible) would be much appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.