Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the thermostat on my 05 VLX the other day because last week it overheated for the first time. After the thermostat install I ran it for about 15 minutes to bleed and check the system. Sure enough, the temp light came on again. The fan didn't come on, and when I turned the bike off and then on again a few minutes later, the light was off, until the temp climbed, and still no fan.

As I've seen suggested here, I unplugged the single-contact cable coming from the temp sensor/fan switch and jumped it to ground, with the key in the on position as well as with the engine running - nothing.

Am I missing something? Before I spend $200 on a new fan vs $45 for a switch (or anything else), did I test the fan correctly? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Nope, if you jumped it and it doesn't run, most likely it's the fan. Go one step further though before buying a new fan, put power directly to it to insure that's what it is. If it runs, then you'll have to trace the short. Also rotate it by hand and see if it's stiff or locked up.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an extra MC battery, fully charged, that I connected directly to the fan - fan cable to pos, ground wire to neg. Nothing. The fan freewheels just fine. Gulp! Am I going to have to drop $200? That sucks!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Did the fan work before you changed the thermostat? Or did you not know, changed the thermostat because it was cheapest / easiest to change (what I would have done)?.
If you KNOW the fan was running when it overheated the first time, it is funny it would quit now. However, if you aren't sure, it likely caused the problem in the first place.
Sounds like you nailed it down, unfortunately.
Dan

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point. I've had the bike for about 8 months (1500 miles). It seems to me that the fan last came on several months ago, and not too often. Since the temp light goes out after just a few minutes with the engine off, and comes back on after 2 or 3 minutes of running (once it's already hot), and combined with the no-go when it is jumpered, I assume, much as I hate to say it, that it's bad.

BTW, I found the fan on cheapcycleparts for $165. A bargain!

Thanks to everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts