Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the thermostat on my 05 VLX the other day because last week it overheated for the first time. After the thermostat install I ran it for about 15 minutes to bleed and check the system. Sure enough, the temp light came on again. The fan didn't come on, and when I turned the bike off and then on again a few minutes later, the light was off, until the temp climbed, and still no fan.

As I've seen suggested here, I unplugged the single-contact cable coming from the temp sensor/fan switch and jumped it to ground, with the key in the on position as well as with the engine running - nothing.

Am I missing something? Before I spend $200 on a new fan vs $45 for a switch (or anything else), did I test the fan correctly? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an extra MC battery, fully charged, that I connected directly to the fan - fan cable to pos, ground wire to neg. Nothing. The fan freewheels just fine. Gulp! Am I going to have to drop $200? That sucks!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point. I've had the bike for about 8 months (1500 miles). It seems to me that the fan last came on several months ago, and not too often. Since the temp light goes out after just a few minutes with the engine off, and comes back on after 2 or 3 minutes of running (once it's already hot), and combined with the no-go when it is jumpered, I assume, much as I hate to say it, that it's bad.

BTW, I found the fan on cheapcycleparts for $165. A bargain!

Thanks to everyone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.