Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally finished putting my bike back together. 85 Honda Shadow vt700, upgraded carb jets, drilled out the baffles on the exhaust (hehe) some stripping and painting, and she runs GREAT!! However....it seems to run much hotter now, it’s not OVERheating, but the temp creeps up pretty high especially when idling. Ian there anything more I can do to help keep the temperature down??

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
Depends a lot on the temperature where you are. But the gauge will run up close to the red zone and then the fan will come on if all is working. Make sure the radiator is completely filled/burped.There is not air flow past the radiator sitting still.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Another thing to look at is the condition of the fins on the radiator. As @swifty2014 says, there is no air flow past the radiator when sitting still. Pull the plastic shroud off the radiator (1 small bolt at bottom, two tangs at top) and inspect your radiator fins. You should be able to see through the fins easily, and not have an excessive number bent/flattened from stone damage due to the short front fender allowing gravel flinging backwards. Use high pressure hose to flush any mud or debris out of the fins. If you want, it's not a bad idea to have a spare fan thermostat (lower left corner of radiator, two-wire connector) that may kick in at a slightly lower temp, available online.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
smilie
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing