Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
There seem to be a million products out there that claim to remove oxidation. The rims on my 83 shadow need a little TLC. Would love to hear some feedback before I buy one or more of the tons of products out there...thanks.. :?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
oxidation or rust?

Oxidation can simply be removed by a good wax (carnuba) and
some elbow grease.

Rust, I may be thinking of something else, but I think standard Naval Jelly
is good for it.

Also, Coke and Aluminum foil is supposed to remove light rust (confirmed on Myth Busters too).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Waxing will not help you. You need rubbing compound
If you have access to a buffer it will be a lot easer. You can even use the mothers power ball.NAPA has a good selection of products to help you. You must remove the layer of paint that is oxidized once you get it removed the you need a good polish . They also have cleaner type wax that does a ok job But will not bring the true color back. After 20 in the automotive refinishing feild sometime you can buff it out and sometimes you cann't I you need step by step you can PM me and i will gladly go thru it or you can come to the chat room and ill talk you thru. hope this helps

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
What are your wheels made of?

Alumininim takes a different approach than chrome steel.

If chrome steel I'd use brillo soap pads to cut the rust/tarnish then finish with a chrome polish.

If alum, you need to strip with an alum wheel cleaner then polish with something like navel jelly or something made to polish alum.

8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts