Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alcon,

So i have talked with a few buddies of mine who are not as mechanically inclined as I am. They both recommend dropping off my bike to the shop who can adjust the fuel/oxygen ratio properly. I looked online via YouTube and did it myself once b/c someone has tampered with my bike; hence, I had to adjust it.

Last time I took it to the shop to adjust the ratio, it was $200, and those guys had my bike for 3 days. This ladies and gentlemen, was a HONDA dealership. I adjusted the fuel/oxygen ratio in 20 minutes IF THAT!

I am wondering if there is any harm in adjusting the mixutre properly myself. I have watched countless videos online to make sure that I am doing it properly.

One of my buddies pointed out, that if it was adjusted too low, that I could burn up my piston.

What do you guys think?

Chris

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
As long as you also know how to read your spark plugs, you're fine. Enjoy the ride!

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Alcon,

So i have talked with a few buddies of mine who are not as mechanically inclined as I am. They both recommend dropping off my bike to the shop who can adjust the fuel/oxygen ratio properly. I looked online via YouTube and did it myself once b/c someone has tampered with my bike; hence, I had to adjust it.

Last time I took it to the shop to adjust the ratio, it was $200, and those guys had my bike for 3 days. This ladies and gentlemen, was a HONDA dealership. I adjusted the fuel/oxygen ratio in 20 minutes IF THAT!

I am wondering if there is any harm in adjusting the mixutre properly myself. I have watched countless videos online to make sure that I am doing it properly.

One of my buddies pointed out, that if it was adjusted too low, that I could burn up my piston.

What do you guys think?

Chris
I think you're referring to adjusting the pilot screws.

My first question is, what is meant by "tampering"? Second, what are the symptoms that make you think something is wrong? Third, what modifications are done to your bike (e.g. exhaust, intake, jets, etc)? Finally, where are you located in relation to sea level (elevation)?

From the factory, pilot screws are about 2-1/4 turns out from a lightly seated position. At that, it is set relatively lean for emissions purposes. As stated in an above post, your spark plugs will give the best reading whether you're too rich or too lean, as will any deceleration popping sounds, etc.

Here is some of the more in-depth info from the manual albeit the ACE 750, but it's the same engine and carbs: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106488173/ACE%20Pilot%20Screw%20Adj.pdf

Hopefully I'm on target with your question (and answer).

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I agree with aced it.. I close the a/f screw until I feel it touch the rubber o'ring and then open it up 2 1/2 turns, it takes a minute or two to do both.. mark one side of a flat blade screwdriver with a black marker to make it easy to count a full turn by using the clock method.

John.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
You cant burn up your piston by running lean. You can burn it up by running lean and driving at full throttle for extended periods. But simply cause its lean doesnt mean youll ruin your motor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aced It:

I am referring to the pilot screws. By tampering I mean this: I started my bike one morning and it fired up like it was all the way revved up at full throttle. I mean it was racing bad. So I turned it off, and researched it a bit and found the pilot screws. I adjusted and when starting back up, the engine was quieter and did not "race" as much. So I thought that someone tampered with it. It could have been my chaps hitting the pilot screw and me not noticing it while I was out riding one day. I have no modificiations whatsoever except for an after market mustand seat, and i have taken the resginators out of the exhaust to make it sound a little beefier. I am currently located in Augusta, GA. I did take note about factory set pilot screws. I have no decelration popping sounds. However, when I initially thought my bike was being tampered with, I noticed a small leak coming from the pilot screw underneath the air box. It wasn't the pilot screw, but in fact coming from the air box. It reaked of gas. I then researched it a little more and that's when I adjusted the pilot screw under the air box but have not adjusted the other one.

John Hopkins: I have not touched the a/f screw, is that something that I might need to look at if I haven't already?

Furball Zen: Thanks again, I really appreciate that!

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Aced It:

I am referring to the pilot screws. By tampering I mean this: I started my bike one morning and it fired up like it was all the way revved up at full throttle. I mean it was racing bad. So I turned it off, and researched it a bit and found the pilot screws. I adjusted and when starting back up, the engine was quieter and did not "race" as much. So I thought that someone tampered with it. It could have been my chaps hitting the pilot screw and me not noticing it while I was out riding one day. I have no modificiations whatsoever except for an after market mustand seat, and i have taken the resginators out of the exhaust to make it sound a little beefier. I am currently located in Augusta, GA. I did take note about factory set pilot screws. I have no decelration popping sounds. However, when I initially thought my bike was being tampered with, I noticed a small leak coming from the pilot screw underneath the air box. It wasn't the pilot screw, but in fact coming from the air box. It reaked of gas. I then researched it a little more and that's when I adjusted the pilot screw under the air box but have not adjusted the other one.

John Hopkins: I have not touched the a/f screw, is that something that I might need to look at if I haven't already?

Furball Zen: Thanks again, I really appreciate that!
You may have a vacuum leak if the bike raced up that much, OR your throttle cable may have got stuck, or even issues with the fuel enrichment cable (ie: choke).

The air/fuel ratio screw that is being referred to here IS in fact the pilot screws. I seriously doubt your chaps had anything to do with hitting the pilot screws. They are inset deeply into the sides of the carbs. From the factory they have "plugs" to deter tampering and also prevent any backing out from vibration and such.

Start with small easy tasks. I would check your throttle cable for any kinks in the line and/or grime, dirt and such at the cable wheel on the carb. Check your settings on the pilot screws. Turn them all the way in (righty-tighty) until they set ... NOT tight, just set. Mark your screwdriver to denote the amount of turns and turn both pilots out exactly 2-1/4 turns. DO BOTH!

Now if you had fuel leaking, that would be either from the fuel bowl screw (not the pilot), the bowl gaskets or a fuel line and/or attaching point. You ARE turning the pilot screws and not the fuel bowl screws, correct?

So tough to do web-diagnostics, but hopefully these things will get you started.

PS - I asked where you located in relation to sea level because pilot screw settings can be adjusted differently according to sea level differences. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about my throttle cable actually, someone told me to spray a little wd-40 on it to lubricate it?? is that okay? its' fine now, but for future reference would be helpful.

Okay, I definitely feel like an I D 10 T lol SMH I havent adjusted the pilot screws at all. The screw that's under the air box, that you can adjust with a phillips screwdriver looks like to me, that it is the Throttle Stop Screw Knob?? Correct? I'm looking at this picture in my manual and I think I have adjusted the wrong screw ugh! :/ Now i do need to adust that back.

I have not adjsuted the fuel bowl screw, i have no idea where that is, unless that's the screw i am referring to above? :/

Again, I do appreciate all the help you have given me Aced-It.

Neat point about the sea level differences; very cool!

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
I thought about my throttle cable actually, someone told me to spray a little wd-40 on it to lubricate it?? is that okay? its' fine now, but for future reference would be helpful.

Okay, I definitely feel like an I D 10 T lol SMH I havent adjusted the pilot screws at all. The screw that's under the air box, that you can adjust with a phillips screwdriver looks like to me, that it is the Throttle Stop Screw Knob?? Correct? I'm looking at this picture in my manual and I think I have adjusted the wrong screw ugh! :/ Now i do need to adust that back.

I have not adjsuted the fuel bowl screw, i have no idea where that is, unless that's the screw i am referring to above? :/

Again, I do appreciate all the help you have given me Aced-It.

Neat point about the sea level differences; very cool!
Download the attachment I provided a few posts above. It is specific to the pilot screw adjustment. Can you post a pic of what you DID adjust? Maybe you adjusted the idle screw?

The fuel bowl screw is for drainage and is a flat head tip. You mentioned a fuel leak so I thought it worth mentioning.

You should however NOT have fuel coming out of the air box itself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do, thanks again Aced-It. I will post a pic when I get home. It was probably the idle screw. It was only a small amount of fuel to start with, and when I adjusted the Throttle or idle screw it subsided.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Will do, thanks again Aced-It. I will post a pic when I get home. It was probably the idle screw. It was only a small amount of fuel to start with, and when I adjusted the Throttle or idle screw it subsided.
Regardless, there should never be any raw fuel dripping from those areas.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I think you are confused on what screw is what. The air/fuel idle mixture screw is also refered to as the pilot screw. The idle screw sets the idle speed and is attached to linkage on the carbs, not the carbs themselves. There is no way your chaps could have moved the a/f screws. they are in recesses at the bottom of the carbs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RONW: You are correct, that is the exact knob I am talking about except that its on the other side of my 750, under the air box. That is exactly what I have been adjusting

Chris

any suggestions guys?

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Download the attachment I provided a few posts above. It is specific to the pilot screw adjustment. Can you post a pic of what you DID adjust? Maybe you adjusted the idle screw?

The fuel bowl screw is for drainage and is a flat head tip. You mentioned a fuel leak so I thought it worth mentioning.

You should however NOT have fuel coming out of the air box itself.
Like I said, that's what you were adjusting. Now back to tampering. It is very possible that somebody DID simply turn that screw on you to force the idle so high. That link you provided above too has a lot of pics that I took on the ACE when doing the air box mod. :cool:

As for any further advice, you have a good starting point and instructions all available in this thread so far. What else are you in the need of?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again ACED IT, I'll just have to read my manual and adjust the idle screw back to the correct position. If I do notice a gas leak anywhere, I'll either take it to the shop, or dig a little more and see what is causing it.
Thank you all for your help.

Chris

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.