Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2000 VT1100C with 30K on the clock... Looking good except for the cylinder head fins, which are permanently discolored, with a few chips, etc. Has anyone tackled painting them? Any particular word of caution (other than using appropriately heat-resistant paint)? I've done it on a Beemer, and it should be less problematic on a water-cooled bike, but thought it would be wise to hear from the wiser. Thanks!

· Registered
86 Posts
I've done it on several different bikes with good results. Just use a quality engine paint and you'll be fine.

· Registered
1,439 Posts
painting the bolt on fins is an easy, straight forward upgrade. just use good painting practices and a good engine paint... spray cans are great. get tedious and sand, wool and biff the edges for a really slick job. some have even done the barrels with great luck.

· Registered
86 Posts
Yep, what gypsy said. When I bought my ACE, the previous owner had rattle canned the entire bike flat black. I stripped the paint from the chrome, scuffed up the fins with Scotch Brite pads and then sprayed the black parts with semi-gloss black engine enamel. Turned out pretty good.

Attachments

· Registered
5,811 Posts
I too, have painted a number of engines/top ends on various bikes over the years. I've had them powder coated (very nice) engine enameled, BBQ painted, header painted, and plain ol Kryloned.

While noting compares to powder, the rest were all pretty much the same. The hi temp paints are thinner and don't finish quite as well as the others. Used to be, we BBQ painted heads/expansion chambers on the off road stuff every year.

· Registered
87 Posts
Yep, what gypsy said. When I bought my ACE, the previous owner had rattle canned the entire bike flat black. I stripped the paint from the chrome, scuffed up the fins with Scotch Brite pads and then sprayed the black parts with semi-gloss black engine enamel. Turned out pretty good.

Wow looks great! Did you polish the bare aluminum or did your bike come chromed? (I ride a 96 and no chrome on the engine case)

· Registered
86 Posts
That's factory chrome on the engine cases. I was surprised how well it cleaned up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.