Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts? Could a paintless dent repair guy (or gal) easily pull this out and make it look normal again?

I bought it this way so I'm not sure how it got there. Its a very smooth shallow dent. You can also see it in my signature picture if you look close enough.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Most body shop could do it paintless. Basically just need a bent steal rod, that you could slip inside the tank and push the dent out. Seen youtube vids on the process, haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
358 Posts
How thick is the tank? I'm assuming it's fairly thick. I've done some crazy stuff to pull some pretty big dents in my old S10 after hitting some trees on some trail runs.
You can do try the ole hair dryer/Computer duster trick and see if it works. Can't hurt.

Or do like 93gc40 mentioned and try to get in from behind with a bent rod.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Acidbath666

I actually watched a few YouTube videos and got some ideas from there regarding the dust sprayer method and dry ice method. I thought all I would get would be plunger type methods. I figured I try the dry ice or dust sprayer method tonight since it wouldn't hurt to try (taking the appropriate precautions of course). I think how long its been there, the thickness of the metal, and if the metal has been stretched are going to be the biggest factors.

Like I said, I'll try a few things tonight. I'll update with pictures if anything happens!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've done the dry ice thing and it was decent for some dents. But you're right, the combination of factors might make it really tough. I can't see you just shoving a rod in there and bending it back. But then again I have no idea of how thick the tank is and how much give it'll have. Plus I don't even know if you can get a rod in that direction that deep. I think it's got a channel that puts opens to the tank towards the bottom.

If all fails, tanks are pretty easy to remove from the bike. It's like, a couple of bolts for the speedo, and one bolt holding it on by the seat. You could take it off and bring it to a shop and get a quick yes or no, and possibly an estimate. You never know.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I was quoted $200 to remove a nasty dent from my tank. He said if he cant go through the filler he would have to cut the tunnel and go through that way. Not something I am interested in doing.

The Dry Ice didnt touch it...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I wonder if a vacuum would do the job. I am guessing that at 0 (most pumps wont go to 0 and hard pipe instead of hose is a must), about 150 pounds of pressure would be exerted on the 4" diameter area. Can probably do it with a lot less vacuum and this assumes it doesn't turn the dimple into a zit. If someone could do this, they would make a bundle pulling dings.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've seen a dent puller at the auto parts store that uses a glue substance to pull out the dent with out messing up the paint.u just wash the glue off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As a body shop manager for many years, PDR or Glue Pop would be the way to go. You might also try air pressure. Shut off the petcock so you don't blow fuel lines, and get as much seal as you can on the filler opening and slowly pressurize (sp?) the tank. Be gentle and go slow. Dents weaken the metal, so pressure will cause the weakest spot to respond first. Again, go slow. You don't want to end up popping paint or causing a leak in a seem. PDR uses many different sizes, styles, and lengths of dolly rod to get the job done. If you try it yourself, be careful not to over do it. An "outie" or "volcano" looks just as bad as a dent. Mist PDR guys will do a tank for $100 or less.... usually less.... I had 3 on my tank and 2 on my fender done for $50... Just be careful and take your time or better yet... let the pros handle it for you. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I tried the hair dryer (hot) then air duster upside down sprayed on it (cold) method and nothing happened. I went about my evening and started to get the mower ready to mow and my wife walks into the garage and says "WOOOW" did you see it? I stood up in excitement and saw the big sarcastic grin on her face. Such a let down!

It definitely looks/feels like a professionals job. The tank seems really thick. Not something that would pop out like a tin can (like my old Honda Civic dents would have poped out).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah that's why I doubted that some of the cheapo easy things would work. I figured that tank is pretty thick to withstand getting hit and not busting open letting gas out or possibly igniting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts