Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody else ever have this happen? i was parked in the last spot of a long row of parking spaces. start up and get ready to leave, last spot so i can just swing out. i look behind me to check for traffic, and the bumper of an suv is 6 inches behind my back tire!

i think that they don't see a car bumper even inline with all the other bumpers, so they assume the spot is empty and just turn into the spot, not knowing a bike is 2 feet in. it's almost hard to blame them. yes i'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the cager, weird.

scared the crap out of me, thinking about what would have happened if he didn't stop in time. most definately injury and damage.

that is why i HATE parking lots! i swear them off from this day forward. i really don't want to get run over while i am parked in a parking space! that is how you get hurt on a motorcycle while not riding it, another mystery solved.

barrett

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Park your bike towards the back of the parking spot so it sticks out at least as long as a car would.

Yeah, that's scary.

·
Registered
286 Posts
CrazyDave said:
I usually just ride my bike through the stores
and the saddlebags make a nifty shopping cart!
Reminds me of the old Christmas song...

"Wreck the malls with my friend Charlie, Fa la la la la la la la la."
"Ride through K-mart on his Harley, Fa la la..(etc)"

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,272 Posts
I tend to look for the cart corrals and try to get next to them -- even when I'm driving my truck. Most drivers seem to be more careful around them and they definitely see them. Plus there isn't too much worry about someone pushing a cart towards the corral and hitting my vehicle instead -- since no one seems to use the corrals. :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
llamakc said:
I was uncomfortable parking up on the walkways near the doors at first, but now it is always my FIRST choice.
Usually my 1st option,especially at large stores

·
Registered
292 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, I've come pretty close myself. Although now I'm a lot more conscious (sp) of it.
I usually park next to a ligh standard, as well it gives me a place to look for the bike when I forgot where I parked :).....Mike

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I park in the middle of the spot but toward the back. I have the rear of the bike lined up with the rear of all the cars around it. I want to make sure they don't pull in and drive over the bike. In my area they will give you a ticket if your up on the walk.

·
Registered
949 Posts
adlowe said:
I tend to look for the cart corrals and try to get next to them -- even when I'm driving my truck. Most drivers seem to be more careful around them and they definitely see them. Plus there isn't too much worry about someone pushing a cart towards the corral and hitting my vehicle instead -- since no one seems to use the corrals. :D
+1

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
I like to park in the hashed-off semicircles at the end of each parking row. Not a legal place, but I haven't been ticketed yet. If that's not an option (grassed in medians, for example), I park at the back of the spot, so my bike is just as visible as the cages.

CB

·
Registered
462 Posts
chornbe said:
Park your bike towards the back of the parking spot so it sticks out at least as long as a car would.

This is what I do. I put it right in the middle of the spot towards the back. That way if the people coming and going in the adjacent spots swing too wide, they won't hit your ride.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Fox Fader said:
chornbe said:
That's what I do.
That's what another biker at work told me to do so a car wouldn't pull in and miss seeing my bike. I used to park up further in the space, but many cagers aren't expecting a bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.