Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal.

I bought a parts bike to get the parts I needed for my VLX project. I really only needed the forks, a speedo, and a front wheel from the parts bike.
I paid $800 for the parts bike. It was wrecked pretty bad.

I'm having a tough time doing the math to get my money back out of the parts bike by parting it out.
I also managed to, somehow, buy the parts I would have needed to fix the original bike.

So, now I have a complete VLX (needs painted) and most of the parts for the parts bike to be turned into a rideable machine. It would never be a complete VLX but could be easily turned into a bobber. The rear of the frame was so damaged it needed to be cut off just to rotate the back wheel. The remaining frame is slightly bent but could be straightened.

So, here's the dilemma.

Do I continue parting out the parts bike or turn it into a bobber. Right now I'm still into the parts bike for $800 (after doing the math on the parts I bought vs the parts I sold, etc).
To bob it I would need to put another $300-500 into the parts bike, not including a replacement gas tank. And it would be a very basic bobber.

The bike will show 10K actual miles.

So, to make it into a bobber I'm into it for around $1500 plus my time. I wouldn't keep it. I would sell it. It would have a reconstructed title...

Opinions?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
makes a good winter project....
True.

Here's what it entails.

Replace rear swingarm
Rebuild front suspension and everything related to the front suspension.
Finish cutting the frame, including removing rear peg brackets
Straighten frame
Reinstall radiator and cover
Reinstall all electrics on the front end
Reinstall front braking system.

And I need to buy:
Rear swingarm
Headlight
New tank
blinker setup (Rewire and install)
New pegs
mirror mount on left side
bobber seat
rear fender
New handlebars
Exhaust

·
Registered
598 Posts
id bob it and sell it ... and i may even be the one to buy it when that time comes ... its not hard to make a good bobber and tn is always a few years behind the rest of the country (except maybe ar ) ... im intrested ...

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Might be a fun project, but don't expect to get your money (or the value of your time invested) back out of it. It's a small displacement, limited value/audience bike with a salvage or rebuilt title.
Unless it's a lobor of love/fun, peddle the parts whole or seperate and go do something else fun.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Might be a fun project, but don't expect to get your money (or the value of your time invested) back out of it. It's a small displacement, limited value/audience bike with a salvage or rebuilt title.
Unless it's a lobor of love/fun, peddle the parts whole or seperate and go do something else fun.
Agreed, unless there is a burning desire to build a little backstreet bobber, then dump the parts..most half hearted projects end up being rusty old pile in the back of the garage because of lost interest.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
^This.

Agreed, unless there is a burning desire to build a little backstreet bobber, then dump the parts..most half hearted projects end up being rusty old pile in the back of the garage because of lost interest.
^This.

with the frame in such bad shape, would it ever really be safe to ride? I say part it out as much as possible and junk the rest, especially the frame.
^and this.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, so far.

For some reason bobbers seem to be "in" around here.

Safety isn't an issue on the frame. The bent part is not part of the structure of the drivetrain but the support of the rear fender (which is removed)

My time isn't an issue too much because if I'm not working on something I will be sitting on my ass for most of the winter.

I wouldn't have a project sitting in the garage in a corner picking up rust because of two reasons. 1)I need the room next summer. 2)I will need the cash from the parts or a completed bike someday.

It sounds like the consensus so far is to kill the bike though. I'm taking all input into consideration.

P.S. Tennessee is a bit far away for someone to buy a bike from me. Of course I wouldn't mind taking it out there cuz Tn has some very nice ladies. ~LOL~

·
Registered
598 Posts
ahahahahaha i dont know where you went here bud, but most of them are methed out *****s ... if i bought it id fly out and make sure its up to par and drive it back take me a week and see some sights ... but if you ever want to come out just let me know ... and that goes to most anyone ... we are about an hour from the jack daniels distillery ... and tons of parks, just beside the mountians ... i was born near this area and i married out of state if that tells ya much about the people here ...

like i said if its usable, go to a shop your friends with and see if they know of where you could get the swingarm from for a decent price ... parting it out isnt a bad idea, id look for a swap meet for bikes near you before i made any real decisions though ...

·
Registered
598 Posts
of course, yours truly is the exception to the rule ... im just a prick ... thats why i like the country ...

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, you guys aren't very good at talkin someone out of something.

Today I bought some Exhaust pipes and a rear swingarm.

I shall name it Phoenix, as it is, proverbially, rising from the ashes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.