Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I can search, but asking a model-specific question is a lot faster:
How old does a Shadow 750 have to be before parts availability becomes an issue? I know, for economic reasons, that Honda lets its inventory deplete after a given number of years. At what age does a 750 Shadow have to be before you have trouble getting parts? I've got a 2003 750; I figure, with good maintenance, I should conservatively get 5 years of relatively trouble-free riding. Our family just recently buried an '83 Yamaha Virago (son's first bike) because life support ran out. Hate that.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
lakota, I have an '84 VT700. First off, it seldom needs parts, but with that said... Had to purchase a new clutch pipe last year... out of stock. Needed new radiator hoses this year, out of stock. With these bikes, "out of stock" more often than not means there are no more to be had. I still believe over 95% of the parts are still available, but that's just personal experience. One thing I do know is it doesn't matter which site you use... they all get their OEM parts from the same supplier. Bikebandit seems the best and fastest for keeping their parts inventory updated. If they don't have, no one else does either. My .02 anyway

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Talking to my mechanic one day he told me Honda is years away superior to other brands for longevity of available parts.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey squidchief, thanks for your response. Helps some. I've bookmarked bikebandit. It's always something that I really need/want that's out of stock.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
how is it for finding parts for your ironhead?

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
how is it for finding parts for your ironhead?
You can almost always find Harley parts--new, used, or (if you ask around) there's always a guy who can fabricate or jury rig 'em.

My wife's first Harley was an AMF/Harley ironhead. I forget the year. It was a hotrod. We bought it from an outlaw shop. Developed a bad feeling about that bike--dunno, just kharma. Sold it back to the same shop at the same price. A couple of months later, we heard that some guy was riding it down the street in front of the shop and it caught on fire with him in the saddle. If it hadn't burned up, you could probably still find parts for it.

With a lot of issues, you can just go to an auto parts store and with a little advice, find something that you can make work.

(I should've said you can almost always find parts for older Harleys; since the RUBs and posers started buying them, ;-) it may have become a whole different ballgame. Don't know, yet.)

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts