Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went this morning and took my road test. I passed with no problems. I was pretty nervous about it because of all the horror stories that I had heard about it. They have a bunch of lines painted in the back parking lot at the DMV and you have to ride around where they tell you to and not put a foot down or drop the bike. The worst part about it was the condition of the parking lot. The area had not been repaved in probably 30 years and there was so much sand on the road I thought I was at the beach.

I am not sure what the laws are in other states but South Carolina seems pretty easy on the safety requirements. You only have to wear a helmet until you are 21. To get a permit all you have to do is pass a very easy written test. This allows you to ride during daylight hours (Legally :lol: ). The permit is good for 1 year and you can renew it over and over just by retaking the written test. Because of this there are a lot of South Carolina bikers that just renew their permit every year and never take the road test.

Anyway I took mine an Passed. My license is good until 2017.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Congrats! Now don't get ****y.... :D

We have the same issue here in Indiana regarding the learner's permits. Here you are allowed to test 3 times on any one permit but you may renew permits forever. It has been proposed that riders will be allowed to take three tests on a permit then if they fail those three tests then they must park the bike until they take and pass an approved riders safety course, otherwise the learner's permit just expires in a year and may not be renewed unless the rider is registered for a safety class.

·
Registered
628 Posts
test

Congratualtions! You have joined a great group.

I would suggest, and I am sure the others here would agree, that you take the MFS course if you have not already done so. At the course you will meet another great group of people.

Jim

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congrats. Is the parking lot test the last part for obtaining a motorcycle license over there?

Here first it's the written test to get your permit. Once you have the permit you can only ride during daylight hours while being tailed by someone who already has their motorcycle license. Then it's the parking lot test which allows you to ride on your own, still with some restrictions. After the parking lot test its required to take the road test which removes all restrictions.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Here in Tennessee you only get a permit if you are 14 or 15 years old. For a 14 year old you can ride up to a 125cc bike in daylight hours and no more than I think 5 miles or so from home. A 15 year old can ride up to a 500 or 650cc bike during daylight hours and must be within 20 miles of home.
I don't think they issue them for anyone over 16 but I could be wrong. I took the MSF class and just went to the DMV and got the real MaCoy and skipped that part if there was one.

I got my first endorsement in '76 on the little orange bike below in my sig. pic.................I rode it around the neighborhood today in fact.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My best wishes and congratulations to you. I failed the circle several times but the dude knew I had been riding for 20 years back home because we chatted while we waited for the course to free up. He then told me that because I had put my foot down, he had no choice but to fail me. I looked very distressed and he had already seen my Canadian driver’s license and my international one, so he told me to do the road which was done without fault. I got back and asked him if I could come back a little later that day with a smaller bike (I had a friends 1800, the only bike I could find and borrow) but he had already stamped my sheet as passed. I was very grateful and drove home a happy man. The moral is don’t do your test on a BIG bike regardless of how good you are, I think it is close to impossible. I did hear of folks with big bikes letting some air out of the tires.

Enjoy the legal life, and please be safe.

·
Registered
865 Posts
A WV "learners permit" is good for 3 months, but you can take the written test and renew it as many times as you want. The permanent license requires a parking lot test, but I know several riders that never bother with either one. I plan to take my parking lot test sometime in the Spring.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congratulations, Permit requirements here in Maine are the same as you described with the exception that you cannot ride after sundown.
Be carefull and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Way to go!!
I took the driving test behind DMV also. To be honest tho... I took it on a Honda 250 rebel. I might not have passed at that particular time if I was riding the Shadow. The circle, to me anyway, was all about using the back brake.
The rider who took the test in front of me had a big bike. I think it was a FJR. He made it look so easy. It wasn't for me.
Enjoy your newbound freedom on two wheels!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Passed my road test !

Congrats! Ride safe and remember that you are invisable. I've been riding for over 40 yrs. off and on, and learn new skills every day. Look way ahead and think somebody is going to do something stupid because they will! Ride smart. Ride safe!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts