Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think of checking this stuff out before I bought my Aero 750 last year -- the carrying capacity of my bike is 400 lbs. Of course, the dealer "assured" me that it was big enough to hold me and my wife. And I never even thought to check out any specs for the bike regarding capacity.

I asked some guy selling his VTX1300 what the carrying capacity of his bike is -- and his manual says 404 lbs.

Most times I'm riding alone, but my wife sometimes (rarely) likes to ride along. With the two of us we're just about at the 400 lbs capacity (mostly due to me :oops: ) And yeah I know to adjust the shocks when we ride 2-up.

Frankly I was surprised that the bigger bike had the same passenger plus cargo capacity -- and I know I'm not the only "oversized" guy around -- any comments on some bike recommendation better suited for the two of us??

I'm really not sure I could get a different bike now... although my brother-in-law (who took the MSF course with me) is kinda interested in buying mine.... and I could maybe talk my wife into it by explaining how much better suited it would be for the two of us! Other than this, I really love my Aero.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Engine Size Doesn't Count

You may find a little 250 will carry more load than an 1800. The most limiting item from tires, wheels, bearings, axles, springs, shocks, frame, steering bearings or drive components in static or dynamic is used to limit the weight. They don't publish which one is the limit. If you exceed the limit by a small margin it usually only reduces the expected life of that component. Steel is quite forgiving if you over load it but aluminum remembers everything. Load it the way you want and ride it the way you want but inspect it regular service it regular. The quote is still good 'Enjoy the ride.'
TRed2

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Yep, if you get a chance to sell it, explain to the wife it's a safety issue that you were totally unaware of when you purchased it, so in order to keep her safe when she rides two up :roll: you need to get a bigger ride in order to be safe on the road :oops: :idea: :lol:

·
Registered
521 Posts
This was a huge concern for me when looking at a bike - and from the bikes I researched, 400lbs is about it. From what I've heard, even the GoldWing capacity is about 400 lbs. The only one I found with more was the Victory Vegas, and if I remember correctly, it is around 515 lbs.

The very same question was posted here some time ago and the same answers as was mentioned by Tred2 were given, and some more detail as well. Here's the thread if you're interested: http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31893&highlight=gvwr

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.