Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone catch the end of the ABC Nightly news with Charles Gibson?

They did a segment on the Patroit Guard Riders. It was a well done piece! I must compliment each of you who are a member of this group, it brought a tear to my eyes! Keep up the good work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
Yes I did. I thought they did a great job!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,978 Posts
Yes I saw that also tonite, it was a very rewarding segment and was glad they aired it, as a proud member of this organization it made me feel so good, I even had tears while listening to some of the riders talking about their mission of respect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
I joined a few weeks ago and leave in the morning for my first mission in Chester, SC for a 21 year old killed in Iraq. As a Vietnam era vet I remember all too well how our military were regarded and treated as they came home both on their feet and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. I just want to do my part to honor those who deserve it.

Beau
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
jimirwinsc said:
I joined a few weeks ago and leave in the morning for my first mission in Chester, SC for a 21 year old killed in Iraq. As a Vietnam era vet I remember all too well how our military were regarded and treated as they came home both on their feet and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. I just want to do my part to honor those who deserve it.

Beau
Beau

Thanks for joining us. I travel a lot so in the time I have been a PGR, I have Only done three missions but I get called here in CA at least once if not twice a week. I have found it to be one of the profound experiences I have had and the cross section of people you will meet will change your attitude about a lot of things, or at least it has for me. As a naturalized citizen, it has help me come to understand and be a very proud to be a US citizen.

RMW, Thanks for the link. I missed it totally but was very proud that we are finally getting some national press.


Brunsje Thanks for brining this to our attention.

All Give some, and some give all :cry:

Cheers all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Its an opportunity for every man,woman and child to show respect ,for those,that gave everything,so that We Americans Remain FREE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Patriot

I watched the video news that RMW sent about the Patriot Guards and was singularly impressed with the respect they showed to the family for their son's efforts in the war.

I then did a funeral for a man who served in Vietnam. At the church door were four young marines in uniform. How moving to see these four men salute as his coffin was carried into the church. How very thankful were the faces of his wife and two boys.

Then as his coffin was carried out of the church after mass, I got chills as they saluted him on his journey to his final resting place.

The contrast was informative:

Older, blue jeans, gray whiskers, pot bellies, motorcycles, helmets and lest we omit--the biker image. And yet, understanding tears.

Then, younger, trimmed, in perfect ironed uniform and spit shined shoes, and the jesture of a salute.

I wonder: Was one salute more respective than the other to their family and friends?

Is there a Patriot Guard in New Jersey?

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
It was a cloudy, gloomy, low 50's day here in Indiana, but we had a mission to complete for one of our own Patriot Guard Rider. Jerry Croell's funeral was today and more than twenty bikers showed up to show their respect. Many came more than an hours ride, some as much as two hours. And then after the service many of us traveled the 75 miles to his final resting place.

Yes it was a gloomy day outside, but the PGR made it a sunny day in the hearts of Jerry's family.

Ride on my brothers of the PGR, ride on.

Mission 2 completed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
Great news article. I've been on two "Missions",they were both rewarding and very emotional. I'm ready and willing to do another "Mission" but hope I never have to. Great tribute link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBdn-gI6GYU
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,810 Posts
The ABC news piece is the best I've seen on the PGR, I think they captured what the PGR does very well.

Thank you all for participating.

I've been involved in a lot of motorcycle organizations over the years, but I'm the proudest of my Patriot Guard brothers and sisters.

Michigan has taken some heavy losses lately. We have had a mission every day since last Tuesday, three to do on Saturday and one each on Sunday and Monday.
Remember, every one of these missions represents a family that is left with a huge loss.
Please keep these brave souls in your thoughts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Re: Patriot

Donald1684 said:
I watched the video news that RMW sent about the Patriot Guards and was singularly impressed with the respect they showed to the family for their son's efforts in the war.

I then did a funeral for a man who served in Vietnam. At the church door were four young marines in uniform. How moving to see these four men salute as his coffin was carried into the church. How very thankful were the faces of his wife and two boys.

Then as his coffin was carried out of the church after mass, I got chills as they saluted him on his journey to his final resting place.

The contrast was informative:

Older, blue jeans, gray whiskers, pot bellies, motorcycles, helmets and lest we omit--the biker image. And yet, understanding tears.

Then, younger, trimmed, in perfect ironed uniform and spit shined shoes, and the jesture of a salute.

I wonder: Was one salute more respective than the other to their family and friends?

Is there a Patriot Guard in New Jersey?

Jim
Jim,

The PGR is everywhere. Go to their site (http://www.patriotguard.org ) join up if the info seems like something you are interested in and they have state by state forums and once you do an intro into your state forum of yourself (and you will be greatly welcomed) then the state captain will contact you and then when a mission comes up, you will be notified and if it is something you can make, we would ALL be grateful for your help.

It will be a moving experience.

Cheers from a proud PGR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
902 Posts
Rode my second mission this Saturday, the one in Chester SC for a young army medic.
The turnout -- of both bikers and the community -- was astonishing. Somebody counted at least 180 bikes, and as I stood in the flag line watching mourners enter the building I estimate at least 400 people came in. There were detachments from every branch of the military, ROTC units, vet groups, and Boy Scouts.
At both of my missions I have been stricken speechless (no small thing!) when one of the family went out of their way to speak to me and thank me/us for being there. You can tell it means a lot to the suffering family to have a show of support like that.
We don't have a lot of missions here in our little state -- average one KIA a month or so. It's still too many as far as I'm concerned, but this isn't about politics, its about showing respect and support for the families who have made such a great sacrifice.
I'll keep riding these missions, but hoping that from now on they're all Welcome Homes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
highlandman said:
Rode my second mission this Saturday, the one in Chester SC for a young army medic.
The turnout -- of both bikers and the community -- was astonishing. Somebody counted at least 180 bikes, and as I stood in the flag line watching mourners enter the building I estimate at least 400 people came in. There were detachments from every branch of the military, ROTC units, vet groups, and Boy Scouts.
At both of my missions I have been stricken speechless (no small thing!) when one of the family went out of their way to speak to me and thank me/us for being there. You can tell it means a lot to the suffering family to have a show of support like that.
We don't have a lot of missions here in our little state -- average one KIA a month or so. It's still too many as far as I'm concerned, but this isn't about politics, its about showing respect and support for the families who have made such a great sacrifice.
I'll keep riding these missions, but hoping that from now on they're all Welcome Homes.
Thanks for your service. lets hope you do get a few home comings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
Patriot

Dragoon,

Thanks for the information. I wrote an email to the national and am waiting for a reply from the leader in NJ.

I told my Harley son about the Patriots. He said it was first organized by bikers who heard that a group of anti-war demonstrators were going to appear at a downed solider's funeral. Does anyone know the story of the Patriots' beginnings?

I have visited the group's site. What interests me is the story behind the story.

I would like to hear the story of the biker who decided that this demonstration was ugly, mean-spirited and cruel for grieving parents,relatives and friends who had to travel to the place of the soldier's final resting place.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Re: Patriot

Donald1684 said:
Dragoon,

Thanks for the information. I wrote an email to the national and am waiting for a reply from the leader in NJ.

I told my Harley son about the Patriots. He said it was first organized by bikers who heard that a group of anti-war demonstrators were going to appear at a downed solider's funeral. Does anyone know the story of the Patriots' beginnings?

I have visited the group's site. What interests me is the story behind the story.

I would like to hear the story of the biker who decided that this demonstration was ugly, mean-spirited and cruel for grieving parents,relatives and friends who had to travel to the place of the soldier's final resting place.

Jim
Donald1684

Thanks for taking a look and the first step. It is infuriating how these folks, and it is really just the Phelps family, have such a strong grasp of the first amendment. They have a huge legal fund that has determined their absolute rights, so they are protesting those that gave their lives to protect that very right.

I am not sure if you are aware that the WBC (the Phelps’ church) planned on protesting at the funerals of the Hamish girls who got shot recently. I took a talk show host with a national syndicated show who offered an hour, uninterrupted, to them in return for them not protesting these funerals. Once agreed, it took a host of Lawyers working through out the night for two days straight ( because of timing) to contractually stop these folk from any antics in exchange for the radio time.

It made me so mad when I heard this I was prepared to go out east and help, however, we only ever show at the request of the family. Thanks again for taking this step; I promise you will feel rewarded if ever you are called.

Cheers
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Thanks for posting the link, the video does the PGR justice.

We are not just bikers, glad that point was made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
PGR

Hi all, I have been a proud member of the PGR for several years. Thanks for the nice writeup- it is a sobering job we do but really makes me feel proud to honor our military. The wonderful men and women and their families deserve all the attention we can give them!! They are there protecting this great country and our children.
I only wish that I were younger and could join them as I always wanted to get a chance to be a nurse in the military but had too many children to raise to make that committment,

God bless all our men and women all over the world and in the USA too!

Joan PGR from Virginia- have been to missions in NC, MD , Tn and Va.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I signed up about a month or so ago , havn't yet been contacted for a mission. My son is over in Iraq right now , hope we don't have a mission for him.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top