Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some years ago I had a paypal account, at the time I sold a few things and instead of drawing the money out I left it there to use to buy a few things, this way I was always in credit and didn't have to add payments or use a bank card..

After a while I got an email from ebay saying that I had to change my password because someone else was using my account..so I did..

At this point paypal locked me out of my account with them and would not let me back in, I tried to contact them but had no luck in getting past the automated reply system and none of my messages were ever answered..so I lost that account..

Today my son, who has a paypal account received a letter from his bank debit account saying that there was not enough in his account to pay a direct debit payment to paypal of £55.37..This is hardly supprising when you consider that it is a dufunct debit card with only 4p in the account..

Bearing in mind that this is the second time paypal has been used to defraud my family I thought it might be a good idea to warn any of you that still use paypal to take care to check each transaction..

I might even go further and suggest that you close any paypal accounts you may have, Just because you have had no problems yet doesn't mean you won't have any in the future.

The above attempt to obtain £55.37 is just the tip of the iceburg as it is a direct debit, which means that the person collecting the money could empty any account in a very short time.

John.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I use PayPal but only have a "pay as you go" Visa linked to the account.I use that card to deposit funds for buying only.There is never any extra money deposited on that Visa for anyone to access.I flatly refuse to link a bank account to PayPal for reasons stated.
;) :)

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Sorry to hear that, John. Identity theft has happened to me twice. The second time, not only did they start to empty my bank accounts, they took over my email accounts, PayPal, eBay. They opened up credit cards with my name and social security number. They opened up a Skype account in my name. Scary stuff. The police traced him or her to an office building, but that was as far as they could take it. They couldn't single out which computer they were working from. So they got away Scott free while I changed everything financially and worried. Constantly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
With Pay Pal, Ebay or any other account you have. Never click a link in an e-mail. Open another window and go to their site directly.
The e-mails and links look legit but usually not.
Pay Pal allways includes your full name in the header and all ebay messages if from ebay are also in your messages folder in your my ebay, open and reply through there. Even if it is somebody asking about something you have for sale.
If in doubt with pay pal, forward the message to [email protected]. You usually get a reply within 24 hours and most of the time they tell you it is a pfishing e-mailand not to use the links in it.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I've gotten plenty of those emails so I open them in another window and go right to there site and look for the messages there.

Dauntae

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
The old fake email notification. Sorry to hear this.

And thanks for the warning / reminder.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
With Pay Pal, Ebay or any other account you have. Never click a link in an e-mail. Open another window and go to their site directly.
The e-mails and links look legit but usually not.
Pay Pal allways includes your full name in the header and all ebay messages if from ebay are also in your messages folder in your my ebay, open and reply through there. Even if it is somebody asking about something you have for sale.
If in doubt with pay pal, forward the message to [email protected]. You usually get a reply within 24 hours and most of the time they tell you it is a pfishing e-mailand not to use the links in it.
This^^^. I use paypal quite frequently and have my bank account attached to it. Always go straight to the site any email is asking you to instead of clicking on a link.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Also a lot of places you purchase from paypal stays logged in to your computer so if someone has hacked your computer they then have access!
After every purchase I open paypal to see if it is still logged on and log out if it is.

I never open any emil link without checking the properties first...

Lots and Lots of fake paypal emails asking to update the password etc NEVER use the link!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts