Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, currently on my bike(honda shadow spirit 750) I have a set of 2 inch cobra drag pipes. I've kinda been doing some reading up on "best way to improve performance on your exhaust." Right now I do still have the baffles in the exhaust, but am thinking about taking them out and putting torque cones in. The only thing wrong with that is information I have been reading is that the 1 3/4 headers pipes on a 750 sized engine may be too large for a decent performance at low to mid range even with the baffles in. Different articles ive read were saying that engines up to a 95cubic inch engine should have 1 3/4 header pipes for best performance. Well my bike is a 750, so here is what i'm wondering...
1)can you actually get better performance out of a set of pipes by running the stock(1 1/8") header pipes with an open set of slip on's?
2) are the cobra and vance and hines and etc pipes actually better OVERALL performance by using their large header pipes with a baffled 2" exhaust?
3) Would the aftermarket pipes perform better with the torque cones put in at the header and the baffles taken out?
4) Would the aftermarket exhaust perform better with a set of torque cones in the header pipes along with the baffles still in?
5) header wrap is said to help exhaust flow better out the header pipe, if this is a performance gain, would you lose low end torque, just like you would by running a larger header pipe, but gain in top end power? These are just some of the questions I have. Right now I'm trying to do some exhaust experimenting with a stock set of pipes and a set of cobra pipes to see what I can come up with. Right now, I'm just interested to see what everyone's input is on this subject and to hopefully get a long thread going with lots of useful information to everyone. (P.S. I'm interested to hear litnins view on the topic, so if he reads this, chime in and write me a short novel on the subject :wink: )

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I'll start the ball rolling for ya, I had RoadHouse 65 slip on mufflers and no jetting, just adjusted the A/F mixture screws out to 3.00/3.25 turns from a lightly seated position, ran them for 8000 miles then went back to stock (just to noisy for 2000/3000 mile trips, left A/F adjustment the same and absolutely no difference in performance as far as I could tell, just did a 300 mile ride today (PGR Mission) and first tank of gas running between 70/75 mph went 142 miles on 3.6 gal of fuel, that pretty much identical as with the 65 after market mufflers, so outside of the Sabre sounding like it had more power, performance was the same, I'm sure you will get some response from others with different performances/suggestions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts