Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I pulled the petcock off my tank. I have a 2003 shadow spirit 750. I including 2 pictures also (assuming I did it correctly). So at this point there is no blockage in the actual pick-up tube or reserve setting. But when I did remove the valve the screen seemed to be collapsed around the pick-up tube. Now my question is, could that be enough to starve my bike of fuel. I also had a little debris and dirt around the screen. Now I have no rust in the tank whatsoever. But what could I do to get any debris out of the tank. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also as far as the pick-up screen, I am assuming I should replace it (correct me if I'm wrong) but I would assume that the screen collapsing on itself and the little bit of debris in the tank would be the cause of the bike dying on me while riding. Now when I say debris, it almost looks like little pieces of lint and fine dirt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Ok, so I pulled the petcock off my tank. I have a 2003 shadow spirit 750. I including 2 pictures also (assuming I did it correctly). So at this point there is no blockage in the actual pick-up tube or reserve setting. But when I did remove the valve the screen seemed to be collapsed around the pick-up tube. Now my question is, could that be enough to starve my bike of fuel. I also had a little debris and dirt around the screen. Now I have no rust in the tank whatsoever. But what could I do to get any debris out of the tank. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also as far as the pick-up screen, I am assuming I should replace it (correct me if I'm wrong) but I would assume that the screen collapsing on itself and the little bit of debris in the tank would be the cause of the bike dying on me while riding. Now when I say debris, it almost looks like little pieces of lint and fine dirt.
Since you've already have the petcock removed I'd replace the pick-up filter, I believe they're under $20 for your bike. Also check your petcock bowl mesh screen and give it look see and clean it. It may be clogged with lint and dirt blocking fuel flow. And since you're that far, remove the tank and flush it out to prevent further contamination to the filters. You might also want to replace the fuel filter just in case.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm going to order a new pick up screen. Last I talked to Honda, they told me you cant get just the screen, had to buy the whole assembly.
Also how do I get to the petcock bowl mesh screen. I didn't see anyway to take the petcock apart. It's held together by two rivets. One last question, what can I use to flush the tank out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good advise. My thought is, if it's got some time and/or miles on it and it's in my hand, I'm replacing it. The pennies are hard to come by, but it's worth the expense, to me. 3 days ago I got a wild hair and replaced my fuel filter. Not a walk in the park on my '98 VT1100C3. I skipped thew book's "remove the rear shocks" part. Why did i do it? The bike hit 15 grand and I happen to be near a parts store. Good luck, enjoy the maintenance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
P.S. I've seen tank flushes done with a bunch of different things. Some swear by alcohol or mineral spirit based product, because it evaporates well. Other love tings like Marvel Mystery Oil. I've used the Marvel (with 0000 steel wool) only on rust and it worked well. I'm no expert, so... Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was also thinking along the lines of alcohol to flush the tank.

Does anyone have an suggestions as to how I can get to the petcock bowl mesh screen to see if it is clogged up.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Also how do I get to the petcock bowl mesh screen. I didn't see anyway to take the petcock apart. It's held together by two rivets.
Good question. Usually the bowl is below and attached to the petcock assy and has a metric nut attached to it for removal. But I'm not familiar with the 750. You'll have to follow the link I posted earlier and enter your VIN to view the parts diagram for your bike to see if it has a bowl and screen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up on that site, i'll definitely be looking into this weekend. Going to try out a few local places first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think there is a way to take the petcock apart for the 750. and looking at the parts diagram, it doesn't show anything like that. just the petcock, screen, and O ring

·
Registered
482 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that screen. Pickup looks bent tho. Take the screen of & shack it in some fuel if you want it cleaner. While it is off get a piece of solid copper wire & use some dikes to score(roughen) the wire & shove it in & out of the pickup a few times to make sure it is clear.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
One last question, what can I use to flush the tank out.
Seafoam should work. Add it thru the petcock valve opening with the gas tank filler cap on, tank off the bike and upside down. Swish it all the way around the tank then dump it into a pan thru the gas filler opening. See what garbage comes out into the pan. Repeat this time dumping it out thru the petcock tank opening into a clean pan. Hopefully this will clean your tank of contaminants. Seafoam is compatible with gasoline so any residuals shouldn't affect performance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So am I correct to assume that the pick-up tube on the petcock should be straight and not bent. It's only bent slightly, and it is not kinked anywhere. I have no problems blowing air through it. But fuel just doesn't seem to flow through when it in the on position with the screen on it and in the tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So now my next question is... Being the petcock pick up tube is bent and not straight, could that be the cause of my bike cutting out and dying on me while riding. If I would switch to reserve bike would run fine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so I talked to Honda a few minutes ago and they informed me that the pick-up tube on the petcock should be bent/curved in order for it to sit correctly in the tank. So at this point I'm back to square one on what's causing my bike to sputter and die on me while riding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No I haven't yet, I'm also planning on pulling the carbs and cleaning them. Is there any pointers anyone can give as to cleaning them. I'm assuming as long as I don't separate the two carbs I don't have to worry about having the resynched

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would resync them anyway. Who knows what condition they were in the last time they were done or if they were done right. I just did that to mine today since my bike is down while I search for a bracket for my seat. It has been down a week now & it is really bothering me. Anyhow I run B-12 through mine anymore. I haven't pulled a carb since I started using it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, didnt think to ask, could it be my carbs being dirty that could cause the bike to start sputtering and then cut off and die while riding. I know at this point that its a fuel delivery issue and the carbs are the only thing I haven't checked yet. Im just wanting to figure this out and get it fixed. I've had the bike since middle of April and havent been able to ride it anywhere. And im hoping to avoid having to take it to a shop

1 - 20 of 33 Posts