Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'd at least open the drain ****s on the carbs to clear them but other then that tribe being plugged it doesn't sound like your problem. Hard to tell where I'm setting tho. I think mercury is the best thing to use to snyc them but you can use a milk jug of water & some clear tubing if you want.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok, I'll have to read up on synch the carbs. That is something I have never done. I know at this point that I'm going to clean the carbs. From what I know the bike did a it for at leadt a year if not 2 before I got it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
questions on Carb removal 03 shadow 750 spirit

Is there any tips or tricks anyone can give me on removing the carbs from my 03 750 shadow spirit. Also I havent found anything anywhere stating it, but are there vacuum lines on above said bike?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Have you checked or replaced the fuel filter yet? I don't know where it is on a 750 but on a Shadow 1100 it's just in front of the swing arm. Also you can check the fuel flow by removing the inlet hose at the fuel filter and turn the petcock to on. That will determine whether you have good fuel flow to the fuel filter, thus eliminating the petcock filter and bowl screen from the equation. I'd do that first before worrying about the carbs. Then try the B-12 additive, 1 oz per gallon of gas. Add the B-12 to the tank before the gas so it mixes well. Then start the bike and let it warm up while sitting and then open the throttle a bit and then a bit more working the fuel mix thru the fuel system and carbs. Hopefully you'll feel a throttle response improvement. Then take it out for a short drive and see if there's any improvement. Don't expect miracles overnight as it will take a while for the B-12 dissolve any varnish deposits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Actually yes I have replaced the fuel filter. Checked the fuel pump and it works. I pulled the petcock and it doesnt seem to have any blockages. The screen itself seemed ok. Though it doesnt seem to get good flow in the "On" position but does in "reserve"

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I didn't read this whole thing but has cleaning the tank vent tube been mentioned.. If its blocked the bike will run fine then stall and die like its out of gas.. Pop the top off and u can go a Lil more before it does it again

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The actual vent tube the hooks to the tank is clear, but im notsure about where it goes once it hooks to the tank. Im going to check that again tomorrow since I habe the tank drained.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Blow threw the nipple on the bottom of the tank to make sure its clear.. They will clog especially if a bike has sat

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok I havent done that, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Im pretty sure the isnt vapor locking, when the bike would die on me I took the fuel cap off and didnt hear a hissing sound. But just because I didn't hear doesnt mean its not happening

·
Registered
482 Posts
B-12 usually works for me within a few miles. By the next day it has done all it can do. I fill up & as it to my tank just before going home for the night. Let it sit in the carbs over night & it ruins smooth on the rest of the tank. It I'd the best mechanic in a bottle you can find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, didnt think to ask, could it be my carbs being dirty that could cause the bike to start sputtering and then cut off and die while riding. I know at this point that its a fuel delivery issue and the carbs are the only thing I haven't checked yet. Im just wanting to figure this out and get it fixed. I've had the bike since middle of April and havent been able to ride it anywhere. And im hoping to avoid having to take it to a shop
This is an old forum but did you ever figure it out? Im having problems with my sabre and I've already gone through the carbs, cleaned, rebuilt, and rejetted to accommodate my aftermarket pipes. All new fuel lines and filter. Bike ran fine for 70 miles then went back to the sputtering and died. Fuel petcock is next on my list but im curious to what you did.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,168 Posts
None of these posters have been around for a few years. Start your own thread in the tech section.

Reactions: ElliotCourtney
21 - 33 of 33 Posts