Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Honda shadow 600 and the petcock is leaking. I can see gas dripping from the bottom of it. If I want to drain gas out of tank then I would take tank off and keep fuel line on and let it drain that way right? I feel like I’m right but don’t want to get outside and be wrong with gas everywhere lol. Also, how much do petcock go for these days? I see some on eBay for 18$ But don’t want to get 18$ worth of a petcock either

·
Registered
653 Posts
$81 plus shipping from Revzilla. Shop 2004 Honda VT600C Shadow VLX FUEL TANK OEM Parts Diagram - RevZilla

$17.20 including shipping from Ebay vendor in Hayward, CA Fuel Valve Petcock&Lever Screw for Honda Shadow VLX 600 16963MZ8G20 16950MZ8L23 | eBay

Personally, I went with the cheap knockoff when my OEM petcock started leaking. It's actually better in one way, it is screwed together instead of assembled with peened over sections of the body casting, and can be disassembled, while the Honda can't.

On my VLX's petcock one of the "rivet heads" cracked off, and the petcock started leaking. This picture isn't the correct part, but shows the construction.
Fixture Gas Font Composite material Machine

It is possible to carefully drill off these sections then drill down the "rivets" and tap the holes to convert the Honda part into a screwed together assembly, which can be rebuilt, and I've done it, but its hardly worth it, when the plastic screen component, which is usually brittle and falls apart in your hands on disassembly, costs $15.69 all by itself.

Regarding draining the tank, If the petcock is leaking, it's going to drip the whole time, so I'd probably siphon as much as I could out before disconnecting the tank. Then, I'd remove the tank, tip it forward on a padded surface and remove the petcock, then drain the tank out the open outlet. This will be a good time to clean the inside of the tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went ahead and drained the tank and took petcock out and it was rough to say the least! Going to order a new one in a couple days. O-ring was shot and the metal had a crack going down the side of it where the fuel was dripping out. The bike sat for a couple years before I got it about 4 months ago. It had 8k miles and I’ve almost got it to 13k so I’m sure more stuff will break because it was sitting for so long

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts